With the Parish church of Saint Peters and Saint Pauls being situated at the extreme west of the village, it was though advisable to establish a mission room at the opposite extremity. This was, it seems, in the building behind the Hermitage.
By the end of the 2nd World War, Walter Barnes was using the premises as a garage for his coaches, which later became Eric Allen's. The building was burnt down in the 1980s, and the building demolished to make way for Peters Row on Holt Street.
Saint Andrews Mission was opened in May, 1897, where Sunday services were conducted and a Sunday School held, as well as other meetings for religious purposes. In 1911 it was furnished with an organ, which had formerly been used in the Wesleyan Chapel. Mr. Robert Clayton defrayed the whole cost.
Saint Josephs in Brindle installed a new high alter in 1889, which replaced a gothic style plaster one. This plaster one was sent to the then new mission in Rishton, on the 4th February.1
Number 107 Hermitage Street was known as the "Holy House". Nuns lived here that once ran the Saint Andrews Mission, which when leaving by the back entrance was right next to the rear of the mission.
Messrs. Wm. Knowles, H. Whiteside, John Parker (Senior), Robert Proctor, H. Rostron, Isaac Hunt, T. Waddington, R. Greenwood, W. J. Watts.
Messrs. B. Kenyon, Thos. Kenyon, R. Greenwood, Wm. Slater, Jas. Kenyon, J. Catlow, J. Aspinall, Wm. Hollister.
On the 14th June 1951, Plans of proposed alterations to the "Hermitage," Hermitage Street, were submitted to the Council, to provide a garage for Mr. R. Martin.
1Brindle Saint Josephs Website (Now defunct http://www.brindlestjosephs.freeola.com/oldaltar.htm)
A Brief History of Rishton 1914 by H. H. Cormack.