Reservoir House, in 1785, was a farm, or small
enclosure which was known by the name of Aincross. Based on Rishton Moor, there was
a house, a meadow and a pasture. Near to this small farm, only about 9 acres in
total size, ran the two streams that fed the
reservoir, running from
and crossing a rough track which later became
Blackburn Road. It was about this time
of the building of the canal
that the house was renovated or even rebuilt. This was 1828.
Because of the
Sand Quarrying that
took place here in the 19th Century, the house became known as Sandholes.
By 1939 the house was known as Reservoir house, and it
wasn't until the 1980's that the house was finally demolished. Part of the
Wheelbase Engineering factory
is now built on the site of the house.
Rishton remembered by