Reservoir House, in 1785, was a farm, or small enclosure which was known by the name of Aincross. Based on Rishton Moor, there was a house, a meadow and a pasture. Near to this small farm, only about 9 acres in total size, ran the two streams that fed the canal reservoir, running from Cowhill and crossing a rough track which later became Blackburn Road. It was about this time of the building of the canal reservoir that the house was renovated or even rebuilt. This was 1828.
Because of the Sand Quarrying that took place here in the 19th Century, the house became known as Sandholes.
By 1939 the house was known as Reservoir house, and it wasn't until the 1980's that the house was finally demolished. Part of the Wheelbase Engineering factory is now built on the site of the house.
Rishton remembered by Kathleen Broderick.