Dunscar farm is found off
Wilpshire Road in Rishton,
and sits beneath one part of
Close Brow Quarry, and near to
The farm lies on the old track path from Close Nook to
Lower Cunliffe, and during the 1800's was lived in by the Harwood family.
The syllable "Dun" belongs to the Celtic language, as
was found in the old Edinburgh name - Dunedin. This syllable is thought to
be the same has as found in the modern word London.
This Celtic Syllable meant "Protected from Foes", and
the second syllable "scar", which was added at a much later date, meant a
chink, or hill pass.
The Britons who settled here must have protected their pass over the hills
with the intention of keeping out other warlike tribes in the
By the end of 2009, a new house had been built by the farm at the
entrance to the lane, just off Wilpshire road.
Parish Church Jubilee 1927 by Carlton Noble.