The word Eachill means "land cleared and enclosed" and
comes from language before 1100.
Prior to 1484
The Whalleys were in Rishton, and were
tenants of Eachill around 1599. They held the lease there until 1790 when
Thomas Whalley died, leaving the lease to his daughter Hannah Haworth.
The main features of the house were the
stone flagged kitchen and living rooms. These were low rooms with black
oaken beams, from which hung guns and implements of various kinds. The
chimneys were so deep and wide that a patch of light could be seen by
looking up them. These fire places were later built up, but back then
these nooks would have been claimed by Whalley and his wife, ideal for
resting at the end of the day. The walls therein were plastered, but some
parts were oak panelled.
High up in the
walls was "A Priests hole" or secret chamber, a room large enough to hold
one man, containing a chair and table, with no windows. These priest holes
came into being during the reformation, but it is unknown if the Whalley's
could afford the services of a family priest. If they could then this room
would have been used during raids in Elizabeth's reign.
The building had a double storey porch to the front,
which was North facing, and the mullioned windows were splayed both inside
and out. The windows were wide, and divided into narrow light with the
stone mullions. These narrow windows were common during times of civil
wars, a man would not be able to push his body through these narrow
lights, therefore the defenders were able to inflict great damage while
the intruders tried to enter. The porch was one of two storeys, during
latter days it was though that the back of the house was the main
entrance, but this was not true.p>
The main hall held the Inglenook fireplace, which was
common among yeoman farmers houses and actually in the plaster work
opposite this fire were the initials of James (I) and Mary (M) Whalley with the
date of 1678. Surely an indication of restoration work being carried out
to the property at this time? Above these initials were three figures
representing their children, who all died in infancy, hence the figures
bear wings like angels, telling us that the children had already died by
the time of this restoration in 1678.
Many of these
features of the building can be found at surrounding farms, such as
Whitebirk Moss, and the manor house at
Because of the original entrance facing North it was
blocked off and a new entrance built on the South.
Eachill Farm and Cottage were removed from the local
council ratings in February 1939.
The last owners of Eachill farm were the Parkinson
family. It is rumoured that there was a passage from the Dunkenhalgh Manor to
the farm, which also ran to Back Abbey Street in Accrington.
remembered by Kathleen Broderick.
Parish Church and School Jubilee
1927 by Carlton Noble.
Rishton U. D.