Master Barn Farm is situated in
Hermitage Street, and was owned
for many years by the Sutcliffe family. The last of the family line to work the
farm, David, retired in 2001, selling the farm land to the Threlfall's of
Holt Farm. The farm buildings were
Master Barn Farm consisted of a milking shed, double story barn,
and the farm house, as well as a newer barn which backed onto the
There was a milk churn in the farm yard, where butter was made,
and loading bays for the loading of muck from the midden into the muck spreaders,
and milk into the milk floats etc.
The farm and farm yard have remained unchanged for many years
here and it is still possible to see the original tracks for the butter churn, and
all the original buildings.
The circular track in the yard was used by a donkey or goat,
which would walk in circles until the butter was ready. Some say that this was
constructed in the 19th century, as it lies on the road of the turnpike until it was
diverted in 1826.
The farm house building was built in 1861 by
Henry Petre of the
Dunkenhalgh estate as the
East White House,
at what time the farmer started using it for his house is unclear.
The farm existed long before this date, showing on early maps,
but being set back from the road.
The original farm house was attached to the end of the barn, and
was later used as a milking shed.
This was the location of Rishton's Tithe Barn. Once it was 30
acres of arable land with 13 acres of meadow. There was another 20 acres of pasture
and 2 acres of woodland.
The tithe was sold to
Judge Thomas Walmsley in 1601 for £40 by
A farm house was first erected in 1675, which was incorporated
into the agricultural buildings.
On the 1st June 1939, the Rishton Urban District Council served
notice on Master Barn Farm under Section 75 of the Public Health Act 1936, Requiring
the property to be furnished with a dustbin.
In September 1990, A dairy cow chose the worst possible moment to
give birth - as firemen tackled a raging blaze in the barn next door. They used
gallons of water to keep the flames away from the calving shed at the farm, and as
soon as she gave birth she was moved to safety.
The barn was lowered to a single story building after this fire,
a difference which can be seen in the photographs on this page.
The farm had a unique right to the canal, being the only farm
which didn't have to pay any fees to the canal waterways for transferring
cattle along the towpath. This was because of the fact that the section of tow path
that the farm uses is a public footpath, and fees are not chargeable for the use of
Sadly in June 2003 the farm was put up for sale by the trustees
of the Dunkenhalgh Estates, Ingham and Yorkes. The For Sale sign was removed a month
later but as of October 2003 there were no changes at the farm. Work started on the
building in early 2004. The rendering and slates from the building were knocked off
and the random stone work which the building was made in, pointed with sand and
cement. New doors and windows were fitted, suitably styled to match the buildings
During 2007 the barn and cattle shed were demolished and new building
work commenced on the site.
During 2008 and 2009 a new property was
built adjacent to the main road, filling
in a gap in the houses.
Telegraph 13 September 2000.
Rishton remembered by
Council Minutes 1939 - 40.