Master Barn Farm is situated in Hermitage Street, and was owned for many years by the Sutcliffe family. The last of the family line to work the farm, David, retired in 2001, selling the farm land to the Threlfall's of Holt Farm. The farm buildings were sold seperatly.
Master Barn Farm consisted of a milking shed, double story barn, and the farm house, as well as a newer barn which backed onto the canal.
There was a milk churn in the farm yard, where butter was made, and loading bays for the loading of muck from the midden into the muck spreaders, and milk into the milk floats etc.
The farm and farm yard have remained unchanged for many years here and it is still possible to see the original tracks for the butter churn, and all the original buildings.
The circular track in the yard was used by a donkey or goat, which would walk in circles until the butter was ready. Some say that this was constructed in the 19th century, as it lies on the road of the turnpike until it was diverted in 1826.
The farm existed long before this date, showing on early maps, but being set back from the road.
The original farm house was attached to the end of the barn, and was later used as a milking shed.
This was the location of Rishton's Tithe Barn. Once it was 30 acres of arable land with 13 acres of meadow. There was another 20 acres of pasture and 2 acres of woodland.
A farm house was first erected in 1675, which was incorporated into the agricultural buildings.
On the 1st June 1939, the Rishton Urban District Council served notice on Master Barn Farm under Section 75 of the Public Health Act 1936, Requiring the property to be furnished with a dustbin.
In September 1990, A dairy cow chose the worst possible moment to give birth - as firemen tackled a raging blaze in the barn next door. They used gallons of water to keep the flames away from the calving shed at the farm, and as soon as she gave birth she was moved to safety.
The barn was lowered to a single story building after this fire, a difference which can be seen in the photographs on this page.
The farm had a unique right to the canal, being the only farm which didn't have to pay any fees to the canal waterways for transferring cattle along the towpath. This was because of the fact that the section of tow path that the farm uses is a public footpath, and fees are not chargeable for the use of footpaths.
Sadly in June 2003 the farm was put up for sale by the trustees of the Dunkenhalgh Estates, Ingham and Yorkes. The For Sale sign was removed a month later but as of October 2003 there were no changes at the farm. Work started on the building in early 2004. The rendering and slates from the building were knocked off and the random stone work which the building was made in, pointed with sand and cement. New doors and windows were fitted, suitably styled to match the buildings age.
During 2007 the barn and cattle shed were demolished and new building work commenced on the site.
During 2008 and 2009 a new property was built adjacent to the main road, filling in a gap in the houses.
Lancashire Evening Telegraph 13 September 2000.
Rishton remembered by Kathleen Broderick.