The building has been much altered and extended, and is now a house.
Built with coursed and random rubble, and topped with a slate roof with a brick chimney on the ridge, which was once a double chimney of stone, and a lateral stack at the gable end.
The L-shaped plan, with 2 bays with a cross wing to the west which projects on north side. Their are two storey, and the present entrance in angle on north side covered by a lean-to porch.
Principal feature of interest of the building is cross wing: this has quoins, a large projecting chimney stack in centre of side wall flanked by small chamfered windows (both blocked), and on each floor of the South gable a 4-light double-chamfered stone mullion window with a hood mould.
First bay east of wing has a similar 5-light window, lacking 2 mullions (and now covered by glazed porch). Interior: wing has box-framed partition wall with large cambered tie-beam at 1st floor; some chamfered beams; stair turret incorporated in re-entrant at north east corner under same roof.
The Hindle's were linen dealers and as early as 1569 were known to be selling linen cloth to Robert Nowell of the Read Hall family.
The most notable member of the Hindle family was the Reverend Christopher Hindle. Born in 1592, he became the vicar of Ribchester in 1617, were the oak pulpit there still bears his initials along the date of 1636.
During the civil war Christopher Hindle was not as staunch a royalist as was previously believed, as he was lending money to the then Parliament, as well as paying the wages of a soldier.
It was the mans opposition to the Presbyterian doctrine that finally got him into trouble with the Church authorities. He was a believer in the Devine Right of Kings, and from the pulpit he once described the beheading of Charles 1 as "that scarlet sin of murder". Parliamentary soldiers who were present at the time dragged him away from the pulpit and threw him down into the churchyard.
He was deprived of his living, and returned to his cottage at Cowhill. This cottage is just about visible from near to the Old Mother Redcap on the main Accrington to Blackburn Road.
(Ainsworth Homesteads p.p. 349-55)
Rishton Remembered by Kathleen Broderick.