Sidebeet once consisted of three farms and a school
building. The Saxons gave the area its name, being called Side Byht.
The farms are Lower Sidebeet, Higher Sidebeet, and
In 1332 Henry de Rishton of Sidebeet bought the
Dunkenhalgh manor from William de Dunkensale. At this time the Dunkenhalgh
was nothing more that a small freehold estate, similar to the one held by
the family in Rishton, but its importance lay in the fact that it adjoined
the Powthalgh estate, which was still in the hands of the elder line of
the same family.1
first mention we have of the
Walmsley family is in 1536, Thomas Walmsley, of Showley in Clayton Le Dale, marrying Margaret Livesey of Sidebeet. Named as A Rishton heiress of Hacking, near the junction of
Calder and Ribble.
The Liveseys had land in Cunliffe, Dutton, Ribchester,
Clitheroe and many other places. The next year their 1st son was born, and
also named Thomas. It was he that was the famous Judge of Common Pleas,
and he was Knighted in 1603 by James I. His likeness is commemorated on an
inn sign at Whalley.
In 1581 Judge Walmsley bought the Manor House and lands
in Rishton from Thomas Talbot, so becoming Lord of the Manor. Around 1600
the Lordship of Lower Darwen together with Fearnhurst, Rishton &
sold to Sir Thomas Walmesley of Hacking and
This was acquired by Henry Cross by marriage to Jane Fielden in 1655. The datestone over the door, HMC 1699, refers to their son Henry who married Mary Talbot of Cowhill in 1692.
Conflicting dates here of course, but there was 3 sidebeets.
Sidebeet farm, although still standing is no longer
named that way. The farm has now taken its name from its neighbouring
building which is now almost demolished, Higher Sidebeet.
The well which fed this farm was still visible in July
2004, although covered over for safety reasons, it does still exist.
Lower sidebeet has been extensively rebuilt, and new
houses placed in its surroundings, Sidebeet is now named Higher Sidebeet,
and the original Higher Sidebeet has been demolished, only the barn
remaining, which was sold in 2004 to be made into a house.
Parish Church Jubilee 1927 by Carlton Noble.