After the de Rishton quarter of the
Rishton manor was sold to Walmsley before 1582, the
de Rishtons made the house at Upper Mickleheys their manor,
until that to was sold to the
This old house,
once known as Rishton Hall, was a low building with mullion
windows. The date is given upon an inscribed stone under the
drip stone as 1591, and the initials on the same stone are
"R H x I R" (James Rishton).
This is a very difficult building to get a modern picture of. Surrounded and
hemmed in by the various farm buildings that now surround it.
The entrance to the building has now been moved to the middle of the
building, with a new extension porch having been built to match the
original stone work.
Of some interest, to the left of the original doorway is an archway,
which appears to be of Norman architecture. It appears that the road
lead past the side of the house, rather than leading to the door.
The main building (as has the entire farm yard) has been extensively
modernised, the old stone roof has been replaced by the more common
Welsh grey slate, red brick chimneys now exists, with more modern
chimney pots, and the guttering around the roof area is now plastic. The
windows are now varied. Although the stonework in most places remains
what appears to be original, the style and shape of the windows
themselves have changed to many differing styles.
On the lintel to the barn doors are the
letters T. W. A. and 1737. These are the initials of Thomas
Walmsley, of Mickle-hey, a governor of the Grammar school in
Blackburn in 17511.
Sadly, this lintel can no longer be found.
The barn in the yard now holds an extension (if this is the original
barn?) Which was built in 1904.
The initials G. G. P. on the date stone are probably for George Petre
This farm house is now situated over the
border of Rishton, in Blackburn, having been given to the
Knights of Stydd by the De Rishtons for services rendered.
1Rishton Parish Church Jubilee 1927 by Carlton