In 1925, Rishton comprised of 19 Bakehouses, made up of 4 Bakehouses, 14 Workshop Bakehouses, 1 Underground Workshop Bakehouse. 57 visits were paid to these premises by the Health Inspector during the year, and the character of the work engaged in demands that these premises be kept in very good order.
14 Parker Street, owned by Mr. A. Lees and used as a retail bakehouse, was certified as an underground bakehouse in 1925, by Rishton Urban District Council, under section 101 of the Factories and Workshops Act 1901.
Known as a confectioners, in 1935 the shop was still being run by Mr Lees and his wife. By 1947, the shop had been taken over and Mrs. M. Yates had taken over the running of the business. Mrs Yates was still registered as running the business 4 years later.
In 1968 Alan and Iris Presho moved into town. The Presho's were to become famous over the canal bridge for their Pie n Pea's, and they ran the little corner shop until 1999, when they found that they couldn't sell the business and were forced to shut up the shop. They turned the shop into residential living accommodation, and over the turn of the millennium were still resident there.
14 Parker Street is another good example of a corner shop, sitting on Parker Street with its junction to Talbot Street.
In 1935, there were still 19 bake houses in the district.
Cook Ernest, baker, 8 High Street
RISHTON INDUSTRIAL CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY, Ltd., grocers bakers, drapers, milliners, boot, shoe and clog makers, butchers, house furnishers, coal merchants, etc., Commercial Street, High Street, Hermitage Street, Harwood Road, Cliffe Street and St Charles Street; office, 25 School Street Tel 50 Great Harwood; Fred Pickup, secretary
The sanitary inspector reported to the Urban District Council on the 13th August 1936, that he had received complaints of soot from a bakehouse chimney in Hermitage Street, and was keeping it under observation.
By 1936, this number had dropped to 12.
7th May 1944. Resolved that the Sanitary Inspector be authorised to serve notice under Section 13 of the Food and Drugs Act 1928, on Mrs. E. Bradshaw, 57, High Street, Rishton, to lime wash walls and ceilings of bakehouse at that address.
105 Spring Street, Eddleston J., baker
61 Henry Street, Wolstenholme J· baker
4 Company Street, Sherrington J., baker
Annual Health Report 1935
Annual Health Report 1936