In 1935, we had only 4 hardware stores listed in the town, that is not to say that there weren't more, Im sure there was, but this are only listings. The four shops were;
- Adams’ Stores, Ltd., hardware Dealers, 40 High Street
- Beesley Geo R., hardware dealer, 11 Hermitage Street
- Gibson James S., hardware dealer, 130 High Street
- Watson Thos., hardware dealer, 72-74 High Street
By 1947, this had reduced to three, number 40 High Street having disappeared from the listing.
- Gibson James S., hardware dealer, 130 High Street; home: 11 Mary Street
- Sourbutts James, hardware dealer, 72 & 74 High Street
- Walsh Robert, hardware dealer, 11 Hermitage Street
1951 saw just one of these premises change ownership, that of 11 Hermitage Street.
11 Hermitage Street, Brawn J. W., hardware dealer
130 High Street, Gibson J. S., hardware dealer
72-74 High Street, Sourbutts J., hardware dealer
In more recent times, Goodwin's Hardware shop still existed into the year 2005, at number 43 High Street, next to the launderette, although no longer selling goods the shop front still exists. It seems that this was possibly the last hardware shop to exist in the town.
During the 1970's the town had no chemist shop, The Chemist (next to the Walmsley Arms) had died, and Mr Goodwin who worked in Blackburn at the time, became the courier for the prescriptions. They had a big sign in the shop window saying 'Prescriptions taken here' or something similar, and Mr Goodwin fetched and carried the towns prescriptions to Blackburn as he went to and from work.
Apparently a woman called Mabel was killed in the kitchen in the 1920s or 30's, when the boiler exploded, due to frozen pipes in winter. It was a Mr Oliver who was the towns chiropodist who tells us this story. He was an old man then and he said he heard the explosion the morning it happened, as did the whole of Rishton the blast was so strong.
Helen Goodwin (via email)