A To Z Index
Street Index
Message Board
Contact Us Donate to Us
Directories
Buildings
Censuses
Churches
Cookbook
Community
Conversions
Council
Downloads
Event Calendar
Farming
Fun & Games
Geology
Genealogy
History
Industry
Leisure
Maps
Occupations
Parks
Pubs & Clubs
Photo Gallery
Rishton Life
Services
Schools
Shops
Sports
Stories
Suburbs
Transport
Tourism
Walks
Waterways
Web Utilities
Video's

Website Information

Whats newWhat's new?

Why not try the "Interactive Map" of Rishton, move your mouse over the map and click on the hotspots to open the page.

Search This Website


powered by FreeFind

Today in Rishton..

Current Weather

Rishton, England, United Kingdom Weather Forecast Provided by Weathercity.com

Latest News Headlines

Currently Unavailable

For more news on Rishton use this link

Website Visitors

 

(See the web stats page in the utilities section of the site for previous visitors)

Since February 2009 -

free counters

28th April 1938.

Elected to Council for 3 years;

Fred Worsley                      1863 votes

Henry Wilfred Sutcliffe        1248 votes

Charles Wesley                    1130 votes

John Richard Booth            882 votes

Not Elected;

John William Sanderson        838 votes

Thurston Bradshaw                732 votes

Richard William Lightbown    543 votes

John William Banks                425 votes

Joseph Radcliffe                    256 votes

Councillor Smith was elected chairman for the forthcoming year.

The Rishton District Nurses Association was granted use of the council chambers for meetings for the forthcoming year.

The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) was granted use of the council chambers for meetings for the forthcoming year.

The gardener was to be paid full wages for holiday pay.

5th May 1938, Buildings and Highway Committee.

An application was received from the Post Office Engineering Department for consent to the placing of telegraph Poles at the rear of 72 Hermitage Street, and Hanson Street adjoining 104 Hermitage Street. The council protested against the erection of telegraph poles, and the surveyor was to take the matter up with the PO engineer.

A letter was received from Rishton Golf Club regarding the road leading to the club. After meetings with Lancashire County Council and the Dunkenhalgh Estate, the council gave approval for the private works to be carried out on behalf of Rishton Golf Club to the road leading from Saint Charles Road to the club house.

It was resolved that the arrangements were to be made to rent land from the Dunkenhalgh Estate for sufficient land area for the erection of a county school. The allotment holders who were being displaced were to be accommodated for elsewhere.

A letter was received from the L. M. & S. Railway Company, regarding defacement of the Arterial Road railway Bridge. the matter was referred to the Police.

A letter was read from Mr. J. Bridges, regarding the benches placed at the entrance to Cutt Wood Park. After the council had considered the circumstances, it was decided to that hardship would be caused to the elderly by the removal of the benches to another position, and no action was to be taken.

A letter was received from Mr. G. A. Knowlson suggesting consideration should be given to the painting of pedestrian crossings. The council resolved that in view of the experiment currently taking place with regards to reflective studs no action of the nature suggested should be taken at present.

5th May 1938, Finance Committee.

The Liberians report was presented for the month of April. There were 2,132 Adult and 380 Juveniles registered. The total number of books issued was 4,577, 11.2% of these being non-fiction. 175 new books were added to stock and 149 withdrawn.

12th May 1938, General Purposes.

The council were invited to join the National Playing Fields Association at Associate level, and the sum of 1 1s 0d was sent as requested.

An application was received from the police for permission to use the old fire station for the purpose of training air raid wardens on Monday afternoons, commencing on 16th May. This was granted.

A report was submitted regarding the steps to be taken in connection with the recruitment of volunteers and storage respirators under the scheme of air raid precautions.

Consideration was to be given to an old folks treat, and arrangements were to be made.

12th May 1938, Sanitary Committee.

Mr. J. Walker of Blacklow farm applied for registration as a cow keeper and retail purveyor of milk, which was granted.

It was reported that the there  was a need to extend the tip, and difficulties had risen with the tenant.

From the 1st January 1938, no charge was to be made in respect of licences to sell pasteurised milk, and any fees paid were to be refunded.

The council resolved that arrangements for removal of rubbish from Accrington Golf Club was adequate.

Pipes were to be laid from the sceptic tank to the canal at Norden at a cost of 1.

12th May 1938, General Purpose Committee.

A new byelaw was approved relating to unsecured bulls.

A letter was received from the L M & S Railway Co regarding the train services at Rishton.

On the recommendation of the air raids precaution officer, 6,030 respirators were ordered.

The following recommendations were approved for air raid precautions;

The old fire station was to be used for the storage of respirators,

The following buildings were to be used as distribution centres;

Congregational church, Derby Street

Old Fire Station, Brook Street

The active recruitment of volunteers was deferred until the officer appointed received notice of the date fixed for attending the training.

Resolved that arrangements should be made with the county police for the training of volunteers under the air raid precautions scheme.

19th May 1938, Ordinary Meeting.

The council seal of approval was given to Mr. J. Grimshaw in respect of fencing on Lee Lane.

Steel shelving was to be purchased for the storage of respirators, and the training of volunteers was to be approved.

2nd June 1938, Buildings and Highway Committee.

Messrs G. Cunliffe and Co, Contractors, Accrington, were granted permission to use Butler Street for storage purposes for work being carried out on Hermitage Street.

The surveyor referred to the lighting conditions at Lee Lane corner, and submitted an estimate from Blackburn Corporation Electricity Undertaking of the costs of the removal of the existing street lamp to a new position and the provision of an additional lamp. Resolved that the surveyor be instructed to obtain an estimate from the gas undertaking for improving lighting conditions at Lee Lane corner on the lines indicated.

Quotations were received for the provision of guard rails to the 5 circular plots on the esplanade, it was resolved that no further steps were to be taken regarding this provision.

Number 38 Fielding streets rear yard was reflagged by the council as private work.

A letter was received complaining of the use of cyclist on Tottleworth Lee footpath, it was resolved that signs were to be posted indicating that cycling is prohibited.

2nd June 1938, Higher Education Committee.

The librarians report was presented for May. There was a total of 2,143 adults, and 383 juveniles registered. 4,967 books were issued, 12.3% of these were non-fiction. 52 new books were added to the stock, and 41 books were withdrawn.

The skating rink on High Street was to be used for Physical training classes, on the terms which were offered.

9th June 1938, Finance Committee.

The council sent congratulations to Messrs. D. H. Hacking and R. Houghton on the honours conferred on them in the Kings Birthday Honours list.

9th June 1938, Sanitary Committee.

The council was to extend the tip face, and provide stoops and rails for the new fence needed there. The cabin and was to be moved to a new position.

Steps were taken in connection with pollution of a water course in Cutt Lane.

Mr. J. Todd of Tottleworth Lee Farm was registered under the milk and diaries order as a cow keeper and retail purveyor of milk.

16th June 1938, Ordinary Meeting.

In view of increased unemployment in the town, an application was made to the Minister of Labour for Rishton Employment Exchange to open daily.

5th July 1938, Buildings and Highway Committee.

An amended layout plan was submitted for 4 houses in Blackburn Road by Messrs. J. H. Moyles & Sons. These were referred to the Town planning committee.

A plan was submitted for proposed alterations to the Roebuck Hotel by the Lion Brewery. These were approved under the council byelaws.

The surveyor reported that the reflective studs had been fitted to the pedestrian crossing in Hermitage Street.

A new Rotoscythe was purchased along with a hand mowing machine. Steps had also been taken to purchase a one horse mowing machine, and in the circumstances, arrangements had been made with Great Harwood U. D. C. to hire a machine for use on the recreation grounds.

The surveyor presented an estimate from the Electricity Undertaking for the removing and re-erecting in a new position the existing lamp at Lee Lane corner and erection of an additional lamp between Lee Lane corner and Norden, together with an estimate from the Gas Undertaking for the supply and erection of a gas unit to replace the existing electric unit at Lee Lane corner and an additional unit between Lee Lane Corner and Norden. Resolved that the estimate from the gas under taking be accepted and the work placed in hand.

The surveyor reported that after consultation, and with arrangement with Great Harwood U. D. C., had carried out a manor alteration at the bend in the road leading from New Inns to Great Harwood at a point on the Rishton - Great Harwood boundary, the cost of which would be apportioned to both councils.

The question of providing seats on Holt Street recreation ground and the footpath to Tottleworth was raised and discussed by the council committee. Gifts of seats were offered by Councillor Worsley (on behalf of the Regnal Circle No. 2) and Councillor Tattersall for use on Holt Street Recreation ground, and by Councillor Sanderson for use on Tottleworth footpath. It was resolved by the council that the offers be accepted, and best thanks offered to the donors for their generosity, and that the surveyor should obtain and fix the seats in the positions referred to.

The surveyor was to obtain estimates for the probable costs of lighting Tottleworth Road.

21st July 1938, Sanitary Committee.

Notices were served under section 9 of the housing Act 1936 on numbers 23, 27, 33, 35, 49, 53, 55, and 57 Burton Street requiring them to carry out repairs as specified to make the properties fit for human habitation.

21st July 1938, Higher Education Committee.

The librarians report for the month of June was presented. There were 2,166 Adults, and 385 juveniles registered, and a total of 4,723 books were issued. 13.5% of these were non-fiction. 69 new books were added to stock and 25 were withdrawn.

21st July 1938, General Purpose Committee.

An anti gas was established at Preston for the purpose of training instructors.

The pawn brokers licence was renewed to Mr. A. Gregory and co. The Unity Saw Mill Football club requested permission to play their matches on Harwood Road Recreation ground. This was granted subject to an annual fee of 5 5s 0d. and the club was allowed to erect, on an approved site, their dressing accommodation.

2 additional seats were to be obtained and fixed at the Holt Street Recreation ground. Councillor Sturzaker donated a third seat, and was thanked by the council.

28th July 1938, Ordinary Meeting.

The Manchester Royal Infirmary made a special appeal to the council, who regretted at the time that no donations could be made in view of the difficult financial circumstances in the district.

4th August 1938, Building and Highway Committee.

The surveyor reported on the rebuilding of the front walls in Hermitage Street.

The Accrington District Gas and Water Board wrote concerning the maintenance of gas lamps in Rishton. The same terms and conditions as last year were accepted.

A census on traffic was to take place for 7 days, and 16 hours per day at Blackburn Road, near Higher Whitebirk, and also at Whitebirk Drive near to the boundary with Blackburn.

4th August 1938, Higher Education Committee.

The librarians report was presented for July. There were 2,184 adults, and 389 juveniles registered, and a total of 4,072 books were issued, 13.8% of these non-fiction. 61 new books were added to stock, and 20 were withdrawn.

4th August 1938, General Purpose Committee.

The air raid precautions committee reported that public lectures were to be held, along with an exhibition. Wardens were to be used in the recruitment of volunteers.

A letter was received from Major H. A. Proctor confirming the daily opening of the employment exchange.

The council received notification of the proposed transfer of the licence of the Rishton Arms Hotel.

11th August 1938, Sanitary Committee.

Notice was served on 46 Parker Street under section 9 of the 1936 Housing act, to carry out repairs to the property.

An application was received for a grant toward the cost of converting a waste water closet to a fresh water closet at 68 Hermitage Street. The application was to be considered upon receipt of the full costs being received.

11th August 1938, General Purpose Committee.

Having heard the report of the Accrington and District Committee for Air Raid Precautions, the council protested against the expenditure by that committee, which in some respects appears to have passed outside the control of the committee. The council urged that before approving any more expenditure the committee should consider the financial circumstances in the area and the need for strict economy.

The council also objected to the proposal of storing respirators in Great Harwood for the use of the residents of Rishton.

The air raids precautions exhibition was to be held at the branch library or in the old fire station.

An invitation was made to the council from Rishton Football Club in connection with a visit from the Cotton Queen of Great Britain on September 28th 1938.

18th August 1938, Ordinary Meeting.

Prior to the commencement of the meeting, Mr. Frank Clarke presented slides prepared by him, of the opening of Lee Lane and the Esplanade. He requested that they be kept by the council as a permanent record of the proceedings. The council accepted the slides and thanked Mr. Clarke for his gift.

1st September 1938, Buildings and Highways Committee.

Plans were submitted for proposed alterations to the Empire Cinema for the Regal Cinemas (Blackburn) Limited. The plans were referred to the Lancashire County Council for their recommendations.

The estimate was received from the Accrington District Gas and Water Board for the cost of lighting Tottleworth Road. The scheme was deferred until the local estimates for the financial year 1939 - 40 were considered.

It was suggested that a footpath be constructed from the end of Parker Street to link up with the footpath from Spring Street to Lee Lane. The surveyor was to present a report at a later date.

1st September 1938, Sanitary Committee.

Notice was served under section 47 of the housing act 1936 on 68 Hermitage Street, requiring the conversion of the waste water closet to the freshwater system.

Notice was served under section 9 of the housing act 1936 on 12 and 15 Edward Street, and 31 Burton Street to carry out repairs to make the houses fit for habitation.

1st September 1938, Higher Education.

The librarians report for August was presented and there were 2,210 Adults registered with 398 juveniles. There were 4,664 books issued 14.5% being non-fiction. 195 new books were added to stock, and 103 withdrawn.

1st September 1938, General Purposes.

A letter was received from Mr. J. B. Walsh concerning the building known as Kings Hall. The council was not interested in that building at present.

15th September 1938, Ordinary Meeting.

The council received notice under section 18 (1) of the Education Act 1921 of the intention to provide a Roman Catholic Senior School for the districts of Clayton, Rishton and Great Harwood.

The chief constable requested the speeding up of air raid defences and of the recruitment of volunteers, suggesting ways that this may be done.

6th October 1938, Building and Highways Committee.

Plans were submitted for one pair of houses near the war memorial for Mr. W. Taylor. This was approved.

The war memorials grass slopes were to be converted to rock gardens, and the 3 circular beds were to be planted with primula Wanda, and tulips, and the 6 oval beds with polyanthus.

Councillor Sutcliffe was to donate one load of manure for the council gardens.

A plan for a footpath from Parker street to Spring Street was deferred until the local estimates for the following year were received.

Mr. M. Dewhurst applied for a wage rise which was refused by the council.

6th October 1938, Higher Education Committee.

The librarians report shown that there were 2,240 adults and 406 juveniles registered during September. A total of 4,752 books were issued and the non fiction was 13.5%. 96 new books were added to stock, and 46 were withdrawn.

13th October 1938, Sanitary Committee.

Notice was served under section 9 of the housing act 1936 on 25 to 31 High Street, 10, 12, 29 Haworth Street, 3 Harwood Road, 78, and 80 Hermitage Street, and 2 Butler Street, requiring them to make repairs to the property to make them fit for human habitation.

Mr. R. K. Thwistlewaite was registered under the Milk and Diaries Consolidation Act 1915, to carry out the trade of milk purveyor at Manor House Farm, Tottleworth.

58 Talbot Street and 47 Hermitage Street were served notice under section 47 of the Public Health Act 1936, requiring to convert from waste water closets to fresh water closets.

The council resolved that all waste water conversions should be divided between the two plumbers trading in the town.

20th October 1983, Ordinary Meeting.

The clerk submitted tenders received for the supply of training overalls for auxiliary firemen. The lowest tender from Messrs. Sharples warehouses & Co. ltd., was accepted.

A request was made by Lancashire constabulary to provide training rooms for the training of 70 or 80 air raid wardens.

3rd November 1938, Buildings and Highways Committee.

The surveyor received a letter from Messrs. White and Carter Ltd., London, regarding their free litter receptacles and rental scheme. Further details were to be requested.

A new set of horse clothing was to be obtained, the existing clothing repaired, the horse collar and reins were to be repaired, quotes were to be obtained for the new clothing.

The quote for 2 10s 0d for new horse clothing was accepted from Mr. William Wilson, Copy Nook, Blackburn, for best white woollen.

The tenants of Harwood Road Recreation ground were requested to remove the goalposts from the pitch each Saturday.

3rd November 1938, Higher Education Committee.

The librarians report for October was presented showing 2,297 adults and 397 juveniles on the register. A total of 5,071 books were issued, 17.2% non-fiction. 67 new books were added to stock and 61 withdrawn.

3rd November 1938, General purposes Committee.

Air raid precautions; Instructions were to be given to Blackburn Electricity Undertaking to extinguish the street lights in the event of emergency.

Mr. Woodcock, the council sanitary inspector, had attended a course of instruction at the Preston anti-gas school, and notification had been received that he had successfully passed the exam, and was now qualified to  instruct in anti-gas measures.

Ribble motor services applied for a license to operate a bus service between Great Harwood and H. M. Fuse Factory via Rishton. The application was supported by the council, and the application was sent to the traffic commissioner.

10th November 1938, Sanitary Committee.

Notice was served under section 9 of the 1936 Housing Act on 42 and 73 Burton Street, requiring them to make repairs to the property making them fit for human habitation.

Compensation of 1 was paid to Mrs Stevenson of 8 Walmsley Street, in respect of bedding destroyed on the instruction of the medical health officer.

A spot light was to be fitted to the ambulance.

1st December 1938, Buildings and Highway Committee.

The contractors had commenced work on the setting out of the proposed site for the new senior school in Stourton Street.

A number of trees had been damaged on Lee Lane, and this had been reported to the police.

Reference was made to the lighting in Cutt Lane. The surveyor was to report on the matter.

Street fire hydrants had been inspected by the Corporation of Accrington, and found to be in a good state.

The surveyor was instructed to paint the kerbs at the bus stops in the district.

34 Applications were received for the position of watchman at the sewer works. Mr. John Diggle of 8 Eachill Road was appointed.

1st December 1938, Higher Education Committee.

The librarians report was received for November. 2,323 Adults and 407 Juveniles were registered. The total issue of books was 5,035 of which 15.6% were non-fiction. 70 new books were added to stock and 59 withdrawn.

A letter was received from the County Education Department expressing appreciation of the efforts made locally to give effect to the facilities provided for further education.

1st December 1938, General Purposes Committee.

The clerk reported on the decision of the Traffic Commissioners on the application of the Ribble Motor Services Ltd., for a license to operate a workmens service from Great Harwood to HM fuse factory at Blackamoor via Rishton. The council learnt with regret, that the traffic commissioners refused the application. In view of the promise made by the Minister of Labour to employ a quota of Rishton residents at this factory, this council considers this decision detrimental to the efforts made and is of the opinion that it will result in hardship to the local people engaged there for the following reasons; that there is at present no direct travelling facilities and delay and inconvenience will be caused; and that the proposed workmens fares are less than the present combination of fares. This council therefore urges that in the interest of the public, further consideration should be given to the application.

The clerk then went on to report that the Blackburn Corporation had applied for a license to operate a service from Blackburn via Whitebirk to the fuse factory.

8th December 1938, Sanitary Committee.

Notice was served on 3, 5, and 7 Mary Street, and 49 to 57 Burton Street requiring them to make the properties fit for human habitation under section 9 of the Housing act 1936.

The following licenses were granted for 12 months commencing 1st January 1939;

Petroleum

Barnes C. T., West End Garage

Boardman H., Bridge Street Garage

Bracewell J. R., Eachill

Chambers W. F. & Sons, Daisy Hill Mill.

Godley E. Ltd., Spring Street.

Grimshaw J., Unity Saw Mills, Spring Street

Hopwood J. W. Ltd., Stanley House Station Road.

Kenyon R. H., Spring Street

Ribble Motor Services Ltd., George Street.

Rishton Industrial Co-operative Society Ltd.

Rishton Urban District Council, Brook Street.

Robinson T., Henry Street

Shell-Mex & B. P. Ltd., Station Road

Watson T., 74 High Street

Peebles (papermakers) Ltd.

Carbide of Calcium

Pickup P. W. Ltd., Rishton Colliery

Sutton H., Bay Horse, New Inns.

8th December 1938, Finance Committee

The Ribble Paints and Varnishes set out the company policy with regards to labour recruitment. These arrangements were accepted, and the council agreed to treat the effluent from the company on the same terms and conditions as those previously applied by Oswaldtwistle U. D. C., except for the first 5 of the annual charge was to be borne by the council.

A petition was submitted by 43 occupiers of business premises in High Street, calling for attention to be giving to the rating valuation of their properties. The council clerk submitted a report dealing with the rating assessments of the properties, which was to be forwarded to the petitioners.

15th December 1938, Ordinary Meeting.

The death of Mr R. Gilroy was reported, who had sat on the council from 1918 to 1924. The council stood silent.

An appeal was received from the Manchester and Salford Medical charities fund. Records showed that patients from Rishton had been treated during 1937 at Manchester Royal Infirmary and Manchester Northern Hospital, and an annual subscription should be made of 3 3s 0d to each of these hospitals.

The clerk reported that the Lancashire County Council (Rivers Board and General Powers) Act, 1938, had come into force on the 29th July, and section 115 and 116 which dealt with the registration of hawkers, and premises used for the sale or manufacture of ice cream, or the preparation or manufacture of certain cooked meats and foods were applicable to the district.

5th January 1939, Building and Highways Committee.

New building bye-laws were to come in force  on the 1st August 1939.

5th January 1939, Higher Education Committee.

The librarians report was received for the month of December 1938, and a total of 2,334 adults were registered with 410 juveniles. The total number of books issued was 4,399, 14.8% of these non fiction. 83 new books were added to stock, and 60 were withdrawn.

12th January 1939, Sanitary Committee.

Notice was served on numbers 59 to 75 Burton Street under section 9 of the Housing Act 1936, for them to carry out repairs specified to make the properties fit for human habitation.

A letter was read from the Accrington District Gas and Water Company regarding the service of water to public conveniences on George Street and Station Road. The surveyor was instructed to submit an estimate of the costs to repair the conveniences at Station Road pending receipt, no alterations were to be made to the water service.

12th January 1939, General Purposes Committee.

A report was received from H. M. Government regarding the evacuation of the civil population, requiring a survey to be carried out of the housing required for them.

The post office engineer submitted an application for the erection of a telegraph pole at the junction of Cutt Lane and Blackburn Road. Consent was not granted and a protest was made to the department.

2nd February 1939, Buildings and Highways Committee.

After an interview with the post office engineer, consent was given for the erection of a telegraph pole at the junction of Cutt Lane and Blackburn Road.

Damaged trees were to be removed from Lee Lane and planted at the sewer works.

A quote was received for 20s per ton, delivered on site, for water worn limestone rock from Messrs. Settle Limes, and 6 tons was ordered for the War memorial.

300 pit lights were bought from Mr. J. Clarke, of Rishton, at a price of 17s 6d each. These were made from Western Red Wood, and glazed. They were to be used for growing plants from seed.

The council was communicating with the Dunkenhalgh estate with regard to leasing 300 square yards of land for the growing of plants from seed.

The idea of a rockery in Cutt Wood Park was left for the time being.

2nd February 1939, Higher Education Committee.

The librarians report was received for the month of January 1939, and a total of 1,878 adults were registered with 264 juveniles. The total number of books issued was 4,650, 14.5% of these non fiction. 76 new books were added to stock, and 56 were withdrawn.

2nd February 1939, General Purpose Committee.

A letter was received from the Rishton Trades and labour Council regarding the employment of local people on the new county school at Stourton Street. The clerk was instructed to write to the contractors requesting them to endeavour to carry out the promise made in August 1938, to employ as many local men as practicable.

A report was submitted by the clerk on the survey of housing accommodation being carried out by the local branch of the W. V. S.

9th February 1939, Finance Committee.

Eachill Farm and Cottage were removed from the local council ratings.

Finance was supplied for the pit lights, but the limestone rocks were deferred.

16th February 1939, Ordinary Meeting.

Demands were issued for in respect of street works at the Esplanade and surrounding streets, and application had been received for sanction to payment of the amounts charged over a period of years. Payment was permitted in approved cases over a maximum period of ten years, by quarterly instalments, and interest was charged at 4% per annum.

A resolution received from Ashington U. D. C. was forwarded to the local member of Parliament. The council was to urge the Government to take immediate action to provide adequate bomb proof shelters for the protection of the civil population in danger zones against aerial attack in the event of hostilities, and to direct that the cost of providing such shelters should be a national charge.

2nd March 1939, Building & Highway Committee.

An application was received from the post office to lay underground cables near to Sandholes on Blackburn Road. This was approved.

The following tenders were accepted for the forthcoming year for supplying the council;

Granite Chippings - The Penmaenmawr & Welsh Granite Co., Ltd.

Paviors Limestone Chippings - James Carter & Sons Ltd.

Limestone Macadam - The Bold venture Lime Co., Ltd., and Richard Briggs & Sons Ltd.

Tarred Limestone Macadam - Richard Briggs & Sons Ltd.

Pitch - The Lancashire Tar Distillers Ltd.

Creosote Oil - The Lancashire Tar Distillers Ltd.

Spraying Material (Tardurabit) - Brookes Chemicals Ltd.

Flags, Kerbs, Setts Etc. - Peacock Bros., Ltd.

Iron Castings - John Needham & Sons Ltd.

Brushes - The Blackburn & District Workshop for the Blind.

Earthenware Pipes Etc. - George Clarke & Sons Ltd.

4,328 was approved as the spending limit of the building and highways department for the forthcoming year. This was for local estimates.

2nd March 1939, Sanitary Committee.

Notice was served on 49 Fielding Street, and 40 Burton Street under Section 9 of the Public Health Act 1936, to make the properties fit for human habitation.

A Mr. Bradley was granted permission to erect stalls on the Sands.

Mr. L. Cartwright of 23 Clifton Street was granted  license to be registered as a slaughter man.

From the 1st April 1939, a charge was to be made of 3d per mile for use of the Ambulance in respect of all mileage in excess of 10 on any one journey.

2nd March 1939, Higher Education Committee.

The librarians report was received for the month of February 1939, and a total of 1,630 adults were registered with 273 juveniles. The total number of books issued was 4,388, 16.4% of these non fiction. 350 new books were added to stock, and 150 were withdrawn.

2nd March 1939, General Purpose Committee.

The clerk submitted several reports about the Air Raid Precautions. The survey of accommodation under the Governments Evacuation scheme had been completed, and showed that accommodation was available for 2,672 persons. House holders had expressed their willingness to accept a total of 1,774 unaccompanied children.

9th March 1939, Finance Committee.

A deputation was formed to approach the Minister of Health consisting of Councillor Thomlinson, the council clerk, and the town surveyor, after the minister disagreed to the execution of the street works in Eachill Road and Saint Charles Road.

16th March 1939, Ordinary Meeting.

A letter was read from Hindley Urban District Council submitting the following resolution: "That this council deplore the suggestion in certain newspapers of the Governments intention to force the unemployed youths of this Country, under a penalty of forfeiting the whole or part of their unemployment benefits, to enter training camps provided by the Government, and to impress upon them the Government the desirability and necessity of utilising by some means such expenditure proposed to be incurred in providing work for the unfortunate persons whom the alleged proposed scheme is likely to concern". The council supported the above resolution.

6th April 1939, Extraordinary Meeting.

The general rate was set at 13/6 in the for the financial year ending 31st March 1940.

6th April 1939, Building & Highway Committee.

A plan was submitted by for a proposed house in Cutt Lane, for Mrs. C. E. Edwards. The surveyor reported that the plan had been considered by the Town Planning Committee and he presented their recommendations forward. The plan was approved under the Town & Country Planning (General Interim Development) Order 1933, subject to the following conditions:

Not more than 12 houses shall be erected on the plot edged red on the lay out plan dated 16th March 1939, submitted by the Dunkenhalgh estate and attached to the house plans, which plot was defined  as a land unit and more detailed plans were submitted.

No bungalows shall be erected on the land unit referred to.

The boundary or palisade wall of the intended 36 ft street shall be set out in accordance with the plans and no erections permitted on the land intended as a new street.

The land shown as an intended street shall be relinquished to the Highway authority when required.

Satisfactory detailed plans shall be submitted to the council showing sections and gradients of the proposed road and sewers.

The septic tank shall be constructed and the overflow from same laid in a position and to lines satisfactory to this council.

The surveyor was instructed to arrange for the existing septic tank at the rear of number 12 Cutt Lane to be connected to the overflow from the new septic tank at the rear of the proposed house on the adjoining plot.

Eachill Road street works was to be commenced once the loan sanction was received from the Minister of Health.

A quotation for repairs to the council motor vehicle submitted by Messrs R. Rogerson & Sons for body repairs and springs was accepted.

The surveyor was to obtain further details in regards to the purchasing of two new trucks.

Mr. R. Heap applied to erect a trade sign on Holt Street allotments, which was approved subject to a satisfactory position being found.

An application was submitted by the post office engineering department for the laying of an underground cable for a distance of approximately 16 yards in Sussex Road. This was approved.

Albert Kirby was to be paid 1/6 (5 and a 1/2 pence) per hour, when engaged by the council for paving work starting Monday 20th February 1939.

Quotations were received from Messrs. Settle Limes for the supply of Lime for the sewer works. The surveyor was instructed to purchase, when required, one load.

The dosing valve was repaired at the sewer works by Messrs Whitehead & Poole, this was to be repaired at the same time as the work for fixing the new sprinkler arms.

Mr. F. Yates of the Cemetery Hotel submitted a claim for use of his yard for storage purposes during the progress of the Lee Lane widening scheme. Mr. Yates was paid 3 in full and final settlement of his claim.

A letter was received from Great Harwood Urban District Council requesting that support should be given to an application to the County Council for them to consider the commencement of work at an early date on the proposed road from Lee Lane corner to the Arterial Road at Whitebirk. This council is of the opinion that the proposal is at present practical.

6th April 1939, Higher Education Committee.

The librarians report was received for the month of March 1939, and a total of 1,922 adults were registered with 300 juveniles. The total number of books issued was 4,939, 15.8% of these non fiction. 98 new books were added to stock, and 60 were withdrawn.

6th April 1939, General Purpose Committee.

A letter was submitted in connection with the liability for street works in Dorset Road. The clerk was instructed to point out that the liability for payment of such charges is on the owners of the property abutting on the street.

Harwood Road recreation ground was requested to be used for a field day on whit- Monday, 29th May 1939, which was granted subject to the applicants undertaking to clear away all litter.

13th April 1939, Sanitary Committee.

Notice was served on the owners of numbers 5 to 17 Hicks Terrace under Section 9 of the Housing Act 1936, for them to carry out repairs specified to make the property fit for human habitation.

The tender received from Messrs. Parkinson & Sweaney for the supply of ashbins during the financial year 1939 - 40 was accepted.

Mr. T. Moorcroft of Lower Sidebeet Farm was registered under the Milk and Diaries Order 1936, was accepted.

The following were registered under the Lancashire County Council (Rivers Board & general Powers) Act 1938:-

Hawker of Meat

H. Cockshutt, 30 The Esplanade

Rishton Industrial Co-operative Society Ltd.

Hawker of Fruit, Vegetables, &c

J. Mellett, 74 Hermitage Street

F. Booth, 85 Talbot Street

J. R. Booth, 32 Chapel Street

H. Robinson, 70 High Street

A. Dobson, 32 High Street

C. King, 51 Talbot Street

Sale Of Ice Cream

W. & E. Bailey, 31 Hermitage Street

H. Batty, 18, High Street

J. Brady, 63 Hermitage Street

E. Noble, 105 High Street

T. Taylor, 8 Spring Street

J. T. Whalley, 104 High Street

Manufacture of Meats & Preserved Foods.

F. Cruise, 30 High Street

M. Haworth, Spring Works, Spring Street

Rishton Co-operative Society Ltd.

H. V. Whitham, 12 Walmsley Street

M. J. Bailey, 7 Brook Street

E. L. Houlgate, 47 Hermitage Street

R. Talbot, 15 Hermitage Street

A Wilson, 33 Haworth Street

H. Walsh, 81 High Street

N. Woodruff, 95 Spring Street

Notice was served on number 2 Derby Street, and 65 Hermitage Street, under section 47 of the Public health Act 1936, requiring the conversion of the Waste Water Closet to the fresh water system.

Notice was served on 63 Haworth Street, and 79 Spring Street, under section 75 of the Public health Act 1936, requiring them to provide satisfactory dustbins for the storage of house refuse.

The clerk was instructed to write a letter to the L. M. & S. Railway Co. drawing their attention to the danger to passengers caused by the present height of the platform at Rishton station, and requesting that steps be taken to minimise this danger by raising the height of the platform.