Annual and Ordinary Meeting, 18th April 1940.
Councillor G. Sanderson was proposed for the Chairman for the forthcoming year, but he regretted that he was unable to accept.
Councillor Sturzaker was appointed chairman for the forthcoming year.
Councillor Smith was appointed Vice-Chairman.
The Rishton District Nursing Association were granted permission to use the Council offices for a period of 12 months for their meetings.
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (R. S. P. C. C.) were granted permission to use the Council chambers for meeting for a period of 12 months.
5 retreated tyres were to be purchased from Mr. W. R. Barnes, Scaitcliffe Street, Accrington, for the Auxiliary Fire Service vehicle.
Correspondence was read from Mr. J. E. Clayton, of Clayton Le Moors, concerning alleged damage by evacuees at 126 Hermitage Street. The clerk was to write to Mr. Clayton pointing out that no authority had been given for the repairs to be carried out, and the amounts claimed were disputed.
The Minister of Supply wrote to the Council concerning the salvage of waste paper. The Council were to formulate a scheme at the earliest date.
Albert Taylor was 65 on the 10th June and would qualify for Superannuation.
Finance Committee, 9th May 1940.
The Clerk was instructed to make arrangements with the mills for the payments over 2 years of the rate refunds due on account of the reduced assessments.
Health Committee, 9th May 1940.
Organisation and details of the Councils salvage scheme was left to the Sanitary Inspector and the Chairman.
The engine of the Ambulance required decarbonisation. The work was given to Mr. C. T. Barnes, of the West End Garage, providing the work could be completed in one day.
Building & Highway Committee, 9th May 1940.
The County Surveyor requested the Council Surveyor to undertake certain works in connection with the proposed repairs to Norden canal Bridge. The Surveyor was authorised to do this.
Higher Education Committee, 9th May 1940.
The Liberians report for the month of March was presented to the Committee. It showed 2,111 registered Adults, 366 registered children, and the total number of issued books was 3,699. 15.8% of these being Non-Fiction. There were 48 new books added to stock, and 5 withdrawn.
The clerk outlined the new syllabus for the evening classes for 1940 - 41. He suggested French instead of Spanish, and a new class in Gardening. He also suggested the discontinuance of P. S. T. 2nd year, the Home Nursing for Men, and the substitution of one class for Motor Engineering in place of two Theoretical and Practical which have been held in previous years. These changes were approved by the Council.
General Purposes Committee, 9th May 1940.
The clerk issued Stirrup Hand Pumps for the use of supplementary fire parties, in accordance with a Home Office circular.
Correspondence from the County Council concerning a Bye-Law for wireless loudspeakers, gramophones, etc., was outlined. No application was made to extend the operation of the Bye-Laws to public dwellings.
The Clerks action of giving Notice to terminate a the reservation of the 500 gallon tank at the West End Garage was approved by the Council.
Arrangements were made to improvise a hose drying tower for the use of the Auxiliary Service.
A meeting was called of the employers representatives of the local mills and workshops for the purpose of promoting the formation of National Savings Groups.
Ordinary Meeting, 16th May 1940.
The clerk read a letter from the Ministry of Information concerning the proposal to hold open air meetings during the summer months. The council was willing to co-operate in arranging these meetings.
Correspondence had been received stating that the evacuee children to this area were to come from Alfred Street School, and Saint Margaret Mary's Roman Catholic School.
Telephone extensions were sought from the County Council in the Clerks and Surveyors offices. A bicycle was also sought for the messengers from the report centre.
Health Committee, 13th June 1940.
Notice was served under Section 9 of the Housing Act 1936, on the owners of 25 and 27 Edward Street, and 99 Spring Street to carry out necessary repairs.
Buildings & Highways Committee, 13th June 1940.
Lancashire County Council postponed the repairs and damp coursing to Norden Bridge for the time being.
The Surveyor reported that he had received an offer from Mr. Mellett to mow the grass on Holt Street Recreation Ground, and he had accepted the offer.
The Surveyor reported that his pupil, Mr. J. Lord, had volunteered for service in the armed forces, and expressed his appreciation of Mr. Lords services during the period of his articles. The clerk and Surveyor were to write to Mr. Lord expressing the Council members wishes for a safe return and their appreciation of his services to the Council.
The Clerk read correspondence from Mr. F. Bradshaw, of 41 Blackburn Road, concerning seating which had been placed against his garden wall. The council agreed to move these seats higher up the footpath towards the railway bridge, and placed at the Surveyors discretion.
Higher Education Committee, 13th June 1940.
The Liberians report for the month of May was presented to the Committee. It showed 2,129 registered Adults, 367 registered children, and the total number of issued books was 3,041. 15% of these being Non-Fiction. There were 56 new books added to stock, and 4 withdrawn.
The Chairman outlined the arrangements for conducting a series of Classes on Food Economy and Food Education.
A Local History Class was to be formed and a teacher was advertised for.
General Purposes Committee, 13th June 1940.
The clerk reported upon the provision of the Government Evacuation Scheme concerning the establishment of hostels for 5% of the children to be received. A scheme was outlined for co-operation with Great Harwood Urban District Council for the use of "Allsprings". The council adopted this course of action.
The clerk reported on the representations made by the Hermitage Street Allotments regarding an absence of water supply. No action was taken until the application was presented in proper form and signed by all the allotment holders.
The Clerk reported upon the shortage of mortuary accommodation, and intimated that should it become necessary he would requisition, under the Defence Regulations, the disused portion of the Co-operative Slaughterhouse.
The clerk was instructed to write a letter of condolence to Councillor Leeming in his sad bereavement, expressing the sympathy of the Council.
The recommendations of the Whiteley Council regarding increase of pay were adopted by the council;
General Classes males by 2/- per week and females by 1/- per week.
Paviors, Masons and Road workers by 1/2d per week.
Transport Workers by 2/- per week.
The Council recommended that the application from Mr. Heap to lease 2 acres of land in the form of allotments should be referred to the Dunkenhalgh Estate.
Finance Committee, 11th July 1940.
In response to earlier communications, the Mines Department had agreed to allow the claim for the re-imbursement of the disallowed proportion of the Local Fuel Overseer's salary, in view of the fact that no further claim was being submitted subsequent to the 1st January 1940.
A letter was received from the County Council intimating that the cost of living bonus was sanctioned to Local Authorities staffs engaged on Air Raid Precautions work, proving the local authority was paying the same cost of living bonus to members of its staff generally. It was reported that this arrangement would effect the Councils staff as follows; Miss V. Catlow - 2/6 per week from 1st April 1940, and Mr. B. Ainsworth - 3/7 per week from the 8th April 1940.
The subscription to the National Playing Fields Association was suspended for the duration of the war.
The allotment rent of Mr. J. Rhodes was adjusted due to the loss a certain portion of his plot on the construction of a roadway.
Health Committee, 11th July 1940.
The council surveyor was to devise a scheme to ensure the proper collection of waste paper.
An application was received from Mr. William Smalley of Lower Cunliffe Farm, for registration under the Milk and Dairies Order 1926, to carry on the trade of dairyman. The application was granted by the Council.
The lamp standards originally intended for use on the Cenotaph and the 10 inch shell presented to the Council during the last war were sold as scrap.
The clerk wrote to Mr. L. Swales of 22 Harwood Road, pointing out that the alterations at his premises were not in fact a conversion within the meaning of the Public Health Act 1936, and that in any case no written application had been received by the Council.
The Sanitary Inspector made application to serve notice to abate the nuisance cased by the trench excavated across Mr. S. Leeming's fields from the house in Cutt Lane owned by Mr. T. S. Edwards. The application was granted.
Buildings & Highway Committee, 11th July 1940.
The Surveyor reported on the semi-sunk shelters still to be erected under the Councils scheme for the provision of shelters for persons caught in the streets, and explained the difficulties which had arisen with regard to materials and labour. The Committee agreed for the surveyor to proceed with the erection of the shelters by direct labour, using such materials as are available.
A representative of the County Chief Constables staff had interviewed the clerk regarding the proposed provision of a Police Cleansing Station in Rishton.
The Officials of the Ministry of Home Security had interviewed the Clerk regarding the forming of an additional squad in connection with Civil Defence.
The clerk was to obtain information from Mr. R. Worsley with regard to the County Councils intentions concerning Air Raid Shelters for Schools. It was said that if the information obtained was not satisfactory then the expressions of the Council's feelings were to be sent to surrounding districts requesting some concerted representation to the County Council for immediate action to be taken.
The surveyor reported upon the continual damage done to Air Raid Shelters and Trenches by Youths, and prosecution was to be proceeded with in these cases.
Correspondence was received from Mr. N. Halliwell concerning the inconvenience caused to the neighbourhood by the seats outside the entrance to Cutt Wood Park. The Council agreed to have the benches moved inside the park entrance, and an order was made to close the park at one hour after sunset, but no later than 10 pm, and the park shall be opened at 7 - 30 am each day.
Higher Education Committee, 11th July 1940.
The Liberians report for the month of June was presented to the Committee. It showed 2,202 registered Adults, 338 registered children, and the total number of issued books was 2,542. 16.3% of these being Non-Fiction. There were 96 new books added to stock, and 32 withdrawn.
The following were appointed part time teachers in the evening classes for the session 1940 - 41 : Local History - Mr. T. C. Noble, and Gardening - Mr. R. Heap.
General Purpose Committee, 11th July 1940.
The clerk drew attention to the Fire Brigade Circular number 59, and stated that in accordance with the recommendations thereon, the hayloft had been adapted as a dormitory for the use of the part - time personnel who had undertaken to do regular night duties, and that also small alterations had been made in the kitchen for its use as a canteen.
The Chairman read correspondence concerning the recent air raid at Clayton Le Moors.
Ordinary Meeting, 18th July 1940.
The closing of Cutt Wood park was deferred for further consideration, and the surveyor was to obtain the views of the Police on this matter, and consider suitable arrangements for th opening of the gates in the event of an air raid.
Messrs. A. Gregory & Co. were granted a pawn brokers license.
Correspondence was received from the Mines Department concerning the storage of coal. A sub-committee was set up to discover suitable sites.
The County Council corresponded concerning the supply of sand for protection against incendiary bombs. 10 tons of sand was to be purchased and delivered to the council yard, ands arrangements made for each household to collect one bucketful each.
The County Council also wrote about Air Raid Shelter Marshals, and the action to be taken.
The clerk reported on the damage caused to the Air Raid Shelters caused by children. The Police were requested to issue notices calling the children and parents to the police station and to give them a stern warning.
The clerk was to write to the County Council expressing this councils concern in the lack of Air Raid Shelters at schools in Rishton, and a copy of this resolution should also be sent to other authorities in the Number 9 Area Lancashire Education Committee requesting them to make similar representations to the county council for some immediate action to be taken in respect of air raid shelters for elementary school children.
Great Harwood U. D. C. made a grant payment of £5 to the Sanitary Inspector for services rendered in connection with meat inspection at Great Harwood, and also to pay a retainer fee to the inspector of £12 12s 0d per annum.
Finance Committee, 8th August 1940.
Council employee M. Flatley will reach 65 years of age on the 13th August 1940. Powers were not exercised in extending his employment or to increase his superannuation allowance.
The rate arrears books showed arrears amounting to £325 1s 7d on the 31st March 1940, and the void allowance book, £851 10s 6d for the year ending 31st March 1940.
A subscription was paid of £1 1s 0d. to the Council for the Preservation of Rural England.
Health Committee, 8th August 1940.
The Ministry of Supply, Iron and Steel Control wrote to the Council concerning the removal of all superfluous Iron Railings and Bollards and Refuge Posts etc., No action was taken in the matter as the Council felt they had no materials falling within the classes outlined.
The Sanitary Inspector suggested that the Council should remove the iron doors and fittings to Ashpits. The Council said that willingness should be expressed to collect and dispose of all material offered by individuals, but no responsibility should be taken for removing such fittings.
Building & Highway Committee, 8th August 1940.
The surveyor reported that damage was still being done to the trenches in Cutt Wood and the Harwood Road and Holt Street Recreation Grounds. The Council requested regular police patrols from Sergeant Pagett in the park and both Recreation Grounds.
Private Street works in Maple Street were complete, final costs and apportionments were to be presented to the committee at the earliest date.
The Surveyor read a letter from the Clerk to the Local Elementary Education Committee (Areas 9 and 10) regarding the unused land at "Moorhouse". Permission was granted to the education committee to use that portion of land now lying idle, to establish a school garden in connection with the production of home grown food, conditionally upon the education Committee undertaking that satisfactory supervision be maintained to prevent damage to adjoining land and property in use by the Council.
The Surveyor reported that he interviewed Sergeant Pagett regarding the closure of Cutt Wood park at nights, and informed the committee that the Sergeant recommended that no further action be taken in the matter.
He had also interviewed Sergeant Pagett regarding the proposal to establish a Trench Marshal's Squad, and informed the Committee of the arrangements already made by the Superintendent for the Special Constabulary to undertake the duty. The matter was to be left in the hands of the police.
An application was received from the Blackburn Corporation Electricity Undertaking for sanction to proceed with extensive additions to the generating station at Whitebirk, including a new Turbine House, Boiler House, Chimney, and Cooling Towers.
Higher Education Committee, 8th August 1940.
The Librarians report for the month of July was presented to the Committee. It showed 2,164 registered Adults, 399 registered children, and the total number of issued books was 3,175. 17.1% of these being Non-Fiction.
Voting papers were received for the election of the Council of the Union of Lancashire and Cheshire Institutes. It was resolved that votes should be cast for W. J. Howells, M. A., of Accrington Education Committee, and W. Wilkinson, Esq., O. B. E., of Blackburn Education Committee.
The County Committee approved estimated payments amounting to £656 19s 6d against £726 19s 6d which was originally submitted for the Higher Education estimates.
General Purpose Committee, 8th August 1940.
The Clerk reported on various matters concerning the Auxiliary Fire Brigade;
That sanction be sought from the Home Office for the appointment of one Section Officer at £3 15s per week and one Leading Fireman at £3 10s per week, and these positions should be occupied by J. R. Aspden and J. L. Smith.
that four leading firemen be appointed from the part time personnel, and these positions should be occupied by T. Jennings, W. Carbery, J. J. Duckworth, and W. Flegg.
six beds should be purchased in accordance with the provisions of Fire Brigade Circular number 81, 1939.
Part time personnel who undertake stand by duty for a period of not less than 4 hours be provided with light refreshment at a cost not exceeding 6d per head.
The Clerk reported upon delay in the answering of the telephone by the operator of the Air Raid Warning Syren. Sanction was to be obtained to remedy this matter by fixing an external bell by the Post Office authorities at a cost of 6/- per quarter.
An Advert was to be placed in the "Rishton Advertiser" drawing attention to the Clearance of Lofts Order 1940, and stating that inspection may be made at any time by Council Officials to ascertain that this order has been compiled with.
Ordinary Meeting, 15th September 1940.
The Clerk received report that the Accrington and District Central Committee for Air Raid Precautions was to be disbanded forthwith.
R. Milburn was to attend the Regional School at Manchester for a training course as a Rescue Party Leader, and he was paid his normal weeks wage together with the travelling expenses and subsistence allowance as laid down by the County Council.
The Council was to co-operate in the National Safety First Association Campaign against black-out accidents on the road.
Correspondence was read from Westhoughton U. D. C. concerning the formation of an Urban Districts of Lancashire Spitfire Aeroplane Fund. The Council agreed to give their whole-hearted support to this scheme.
Buildings & Highways Committee, 12th September 1940.
The private street works in Maple Street and Eachill Road had been completed and final costs were presented.
Blackburn Corporation Electricity Undertaking applied for an extension to the existing water and mains drain services at Whitebirk.
Higher Education Committee, 12th September 1940.
The Librarians report for the month of July was presented to the Committee. It showed 2,191 registered Adults, 410 registered children, and the total number of issued books was 3,449. 16.4% of these being Non-Fiction.
Councillor G. Thomlinson outlined the objects of the Service of Youth Campaign, and made suggestions for its application to this district.
General Purpose Committee, 12th September 1940.
H. Eagles resignation was accepted and T. Keenan was appointed to fill the vacancy in the whole time Auxiliary Fire Brigade.
The trades and Labour Council wrote to the Council concerning the distribution of sand and the seats to the Entrance of Cutt Wood Park. No action was taken on the 1st matter, and it was resolved to move the seats at the entrance to Cutt Wood Park immediately inside the park on the grass verge.
Ordinary Meeting, 19th September 1940.
The appointment of Councillor F. Worsley as the representative on the Accrington and District Food Control Committee was confirmed.
A bank account for the Rishton Urban District Council Spitfire Fund was opened with the Midland Bank, at their Rishton branch.
Police were instructed to institute prosecution in a case of damage to the air raid shelters.
Ribble Motor Services proposed the placing of Bus Stop Signs on Blackburn Road, which the council agreed to.
Rating & Valuation Committee, 19th September 1940.
The following properties were submitted for re-evaluation were accepted;
|51 Talbot Street||£14 10s||£9||£13||£8|
|33 Haworth Street||£21||£14||£15||£9|
The Application by W. F. Chambers & Co. Ltd., for the de-rating of their warehouse on Ashworth Street was not allowed in view of the provisions of the Rating and Valuation Acts 1925, and 1929.
Buildings & Highway Committee, 10th October 1940.
Arrangements were made with various contractors for the provision of shelters below the area of the canal bridge. The surveyor was ordered to prepare a scheme to provide accommodation for 70% of the population of Rishton in accordance with instructions received from the Clerk of the County Surveyor regarding the Domestic Shelters programme.
The Blackburn Corporation Electricity Undertaking applied for a water supply to the new extension for the generating station. The request was passed to the water engineer for negotiation.
The County Air Raid Precautions Emergency Committee authorised and approved of the temporary appointment of Mr. T. R. Moyle as a Technical Assistant in connection with the shelter programme for a period of 3 months, and was to commence his duties on Wednesday the 9th October 1940.
The clerk reported on correspondence from the Central Electricity Board concerning the new overhead transmission line to pass through the district.
The clerk was instructed to write to Major Proctor, M. P., Councillor Thomlinson, M. P., and the Ministry of Home Security, drawing attention to the unnecessary danger caused to this area by the light emitted from Altham Colliery.
Higher Education Committee, 10th October 1940.
The Librarians report for the month of September was presented to the Committee. It showed 2,214 registered Adults, 419 registered children, and the total number of issued books was 3,450. 16.88% of these being Non-Fiction. 45 new books were added to stock and 76 were withdrawn and returned to headquarters.
The Chairman pointed out that the Speech Training, French, Gardening, and Local History Classes would be closed if attendances did not reach the minimum levels.
An outline was given of the work proceeding in the Youth Service Campaign.
General Purposes Committee, 10th October 1940.
The chairman reported on the position of the fixing of an electric siren to the Police Station. The clerk was instructed to communicate with the chief constable informing him that it is the opinion of the council that the matter of erection and maintenance were entirely a police matter.
An application for release from the Auxiliary Fire Service was received from J. L. Smith, but the Council resolved that the release was not granted. Application was made to the Home Office (Fire Brigades) Division, to pay the Section Officer, J. R. Aspden, at the rate of £4 per week.
Waterproof Leggings and Overcoats were to be obtained for the Auxiliary Fire Service Messengers.
Blue Overalls were to be obtained for the Air Raid Precautions personnel who were covered by the County Council issues.
An application was made by Mr. N. Hellewell, Chief Warden, for a telephone extension, which was turned down. The clerk was instructed to inform him that while the council were in sympathy with his request it was not in their powers or duties to accede to the application.
Ordinary Meeting, 17th October 1940.
A letter was received from the Chief Constable of Lancashire requesting the order be placed for the installation of the Electric Air Raid Warning Siren on the Police Station.
Application was made to the Ribble Motor Company for the provision of two further bus stops signs beyond the railway bridge on Blackburn Road.
Finance Committee, 14th November 1940.
The account amounting to £14 was passed for payment, for the rent of the electricity cable to Norden, but further information was to be sought on this matter.
3 weeks full wages were to be paid to council employees, and half wages for the following 3 weeks in any 12 month period.
Samuel Waites was due to retire on the 2nd December 1940, and his application for an extension of employment was turned down.
Schemes for the internal decoration of the Council Offices were to be sought, and advertisements placed for tenders for the work.
Telephone lines were to be placed in the residences of the sanitary inspector and rate collector, and the council was to pay installation charges and rentals, with the calls being paid for by the officials.
Health Committee, 14th November 1940.
The application for the registration to carry on trade of Retail Purveyor of milk from Mr. G. K. Leeming of "Tolcarne" Blackburn Road, was granted under the milk and Diaries Order 1926.
The Sanitary Inspector was authorised to serve a statutory notice under the Housing Act 1936, on the owner of 126 Hermitage Street to carry out certain repairs.
Building & Highway Committee, 14th November 1940.
The surveyor made a report on the erection of Surface Shelters, and referred to arrangements made with the Regional Works Advisor regarding the extension of the scheme in the district on the West Side of the canal.
The Surveyor read a letter from the County Architect regarding the erection of Air Raid Shelters at the Elementary Schools in Rishton. The Council resolved that the surveyor was instructed to inform the County Architect that he was prepared to arrange for the erection of the shelters on behalf of the Lancashire Education Committee, and also that he was instructed to give priority to the erection of the school shelters.
The clerk reported on an interview with Father O'Leary, with himself, Councillor Trengrove, and the surveyor. The council resolved that as an implied agreement had undoubtedly existed between the council and Father O'Leary to compensate him for the setting back and building of the church boundary wall, that a payment should be made to Father O'Leary of £75.00. It was further resolved that before payment was made the council clerk should obtain the opinion of the District Auditor upon the legality of the payment.
Permission was refused for an air raid wardens post in Cutt Wood Park, but a site in Woodside Avenue was granted.
The Dig For Victory Campaign received from the Ministry of Agriculture was referred to the Allotments Sub-Committee.
Higher Education Committee, 14th November 1940.
The Librarians report for the month of October was presented to the Committee. It showed 2,233 registered Adults, 440 registered children, and the total number of issued books was 3,931. 18.2% of these being Non-Fiction. 75 new books were added to stock and 56 were withdrawn and returned to headquarters.
General Purpose Committee, 14th November 1940.
The clerk reported on the progress of the Governments Coal Stacking programme, and intimated that the councils quotation to haul and stack coal for 3/6 per ton was accepted.
An application received from the Home Guard for the use of the Harwood Road football pitch was granted free of charge for the 1940 - 41 season.
The councils application to pay the section officer of the Auxiliary fire brigade £4 per week was not granted and further applications were to be made, with references to the conditions in this area.
Ordinary Meeting, 21st November 1940.
The Ministry of Food correspondence was received concerning Community Feeding. The caterers in Rishton were to be circularised and the matter was to be dealt with by the committee members.
Health Committee, 12th December 1940.
The following petroleum licences were renewed for a period of 12 months;
Barnes, C. T., West End Garage
Boardman, H., 42 Livesey Street
Chambers, W. F. & Sons, Daisy Hill Mill
Godley, E., Ltd., Spring Street
Grimshaw, J., Unity Saws Mill, Spring Street
Hopwood J. W., Ltd., Stanley House, Station Road
Kenyon, R. H., Woodside, Blackburn Road
Ribble Motor Services Ltd., Frenchwood Avenue, Preston
Rishton Industrial Co-Operative Society Ltd.
Rishton Urban District Council
Robinson T., Homestead, Blackburn Road
Shell-Mex & B. P. Ltd., Station Road
Watson T., 74 High Street
Peebles (Paper Makers) Ltd.
Carbide of Calcium;
Pickup P. W. Ltd., Colliery
Sutton, H., Bay Horse, New Inns
Mr Kelly of 66 Knowles Street was refused a grant towards conversion.
Building & Highway Committee, 12th December 1940.
The surveyor reported receipt of a letter from the County Surveyor dated November the 27th, regarding the re-organisation of the Canal Protection Squad, and explained the new proposals. The Surveyor also reported that in the circumstances he had already advertised, inviting applications for the personnel of the squad.
A letter was received from the Clerk of the County Council, regarding addition protection of the First Aid Post, and that the letter would receive attention.
The Surveyor confirmed receipt of a verbal offer from the Borough engineer of Accrington, for 5/6 per lineal yard of track for 21 inch gauge track, and £7 per wagon for two jubilee wagons, conditional upon the plant being in good condition. The surveyor was authorised to accept the offer.
Higher Education Committee, 12th December 1940.
The Librarians report for the month of November was presented to the Committee. It showed 2,263 registered Adults, 459 registered children, and the total number of issued books was 4,421. 19.1% of these being Non-Fiction. 87 new books were added to stock.
General Purpose Committee, 12th December 1940.
Mr. Joel Lord was appointed as to fill the vacancy on the report centre staff, following the resignation of Mr. N. Ratcliffe.
Ordinary Meeting, 19th December 1940.
The seal of the Council was affixed to Private Street Works Agreements with John Knowles, and Martha Ellen Gildert.
2,500 War time advice cards were to be obtained following guide lines submitted by the clerk, and a card was to be distributed to each house in the district.
Correspondence was read from Ribble Motor Services Ltd., concerning proposed bus stop signs between the Whitebirk boundary and the paper mill, which were approved.
Four Steel helmets were purchased for the Sewage Works Staff under powers given in Home Security Circular 293/1940.
Correspondence was read from the Ministry of Home Security regarding comforts for the civil defence services. The Council resolved that in view of the excellent organisation already established for this purpose by the woman's Voluntary Service, that the matter should be left in their hands and that the Council would give all possible assistance authorised under the circular.
Health Committee, 9th January 1941.
The Medical Officer of Health was instructed to investigate and report upon the sanitary conditions of 11 Walmsley Street, Rishton.
Building & Highway Committee, 9th January 1941.
The Surveyor reported that the offer for Jubilee Wagons and track from the Borough Engineer of Accrington had been withdrawn.
The Surveyor reported upon a letter received from the Ministry of Supply regarding a National Survey of Fixed and Demolition Scrap Iron and Steel.
The Clerk submitted an application from the Post Office Engineer for consent to erect a Telegraph Pole at the rear of 49 Commercial Street. The application was approved.
The clerk reported that consignment notes had been received for 200 tons of the coal to be stored in this district under the Government Coal Stocking Scheme.
Higher Education Committee, 9th January 1941.
The Librarians report for the month of December was presented to the Committee. It showed 2,379 registered Adults, 458 registered children, and the total number of issued books was 3,735. 18.9% of these being Non-Fiction. 75 new books were added to stock, and 52 books were returned to headquarters.
General Purpose Committee, 9th January 1941.
It was resolved that an Auxiliary Fire Service Action Station be established in the garage belonging to the Victoria Mill in Parker Street, and that a private telephone line between the Fire Station and the garage be installed.
A contribution of 1 twenty fourth of a penny in the pound Rateable value was to be made to the Lancashire Industrial Development Council for the year 1941 - 42.
A grant was made of £1 10s 0d from the prize fund towards the cost of the Christmas Party organised for Children evacuated to the District.
The clerk was instructed to write to Ribble Motor Services Limited, regarding the inadequate service between the hours of 8am and 9am on the Blackburn to Clayton Le Moors route.
Ordinary Meeting, 16th January 1941.
The seal of the Council was affixed to the following Documents;
Private Street Works Agreement with Walter Whitman
Private Street Works Agreement with Walter Havelock Haworth
Private Street Works Agreement with Robert Butler
Private Street Works Agreement with Jessie Roberts
Mortgage for £500 to Oswald Bracewell
Mortgage for £100 to Amanda Whitehead
Contract for the Provision of Air Raid Shelters with F. & E. Eccles
Contract for the Provision of Air Raid Shelters with J. & J. Butler
Contract for the Provision of Air Raid Shelters with Cross & Lawson
Contract for the Provision of Air Raid Shelters with H. Ramsbottom & Sons
Contract for the Provision of Air Raid Shelters with F. T. Fairchild & Sons
The chairman gave a résumé of a correspondence received from Lord Derby concerning the formation of funds to relieve Air Raid Distress. It was resolved that a local fund should be inaugurated in support of the Lords Mayors National Air Raid Distress Fund.
A war wage increase of 3/- per week (for weekly rated employees) and 3/4d per hour (hourly rated employees) was granted to the Council employees from the first week of February 1941.
The surveyor reported on the position regarding Domestic Surface Shelters already erected and the results of the interview with the representatives of the Regional Technical Advisor in which instructions were given for the demolition of the Type Two shelters and the rebuilding of the same to the new design. The surveyor was to make arrangements for this work to be carried out.
The clerk was instructed to communicate the councils dissatisfaction with the shelter design specified by the Ministry of Home Security Drawing DS. 13/40 Type Two Shelter, to the Lancashire Urban District Council's Association.
The footpath from Norden to Lee Lane was to be investigated after the clerk had wrote to the Footpaths and Commons Preservation Society.
Buildings & Highways Committee, 13th February 1941.
The surveyor reported that members of the Home Guard had volunteered to assist in clearing the roads following the snowfall on Saturday 18th January. The surveyor was instructed to convey to the Officer Commanding the Home Guard the Councils appreciation of the services rendered in the emergency.
The surveyor read a letter which he had sent to the Free Gardner's Club regarding the dangerous condition of a portion of the boundary wall to their premises.
Mr. Sanderson's offer to buy the spare cart for £12 was accepted by the council.
Two plots on the Hermitage Street Allotments were let to the Youth Committee for Food Production and instruction in gardening under the supervision of the Council Gardener.
Higher Education Committee, 13th February 1941.
The Librarians report for the month of January was presented to the Committee. It showed 2,302 registered Adults, 459 registered children, and the total number of issued books was 3,929. 17.9% of these being Non-Fiction. 66 new books were added to stock, and 15 books were returned to headquarters.
The chairman was given a vote of confidence.
General Purpose Committee, 13th February 1941.
The Clerk reported that the District was included in the Civil Defence (Specified Areas (No. 2)) Order 1940, for the purposes of part 3 of the Civil Defence Act 1939.
Correspondence was received from the Area Public Assistance Officer concerning the rest centre in the district. Application was to made to the Conservative Club for the use of part of the club premises as an Emergency Rest Centre.
Ordinary Meeting, 20th February 1941.
A petition was read from the residents of Tottleworth concerning the provision of Air Raid Shelters and instruction in Incendiary Bomb Control. Arrangements were made to give a fire fighting demonstration.
Further objections were to be made to Ribble Motor Services Ltd., concerning the inadequacies of the service between Rishton and Clayton Le Moors between the hours of 7am and 8am.
Representations were made to the L. M. & S. Railway Company regarding the train service between Accrington and Rishton in the evenings. The matter was also brought to the attention of Councillor G. Thomlinson, M. P., and Major Proctor M. P.
The question of communal feeding was raised and a subcommittee formed to consider it. The sub committee were given plenary powers to submit a scheme to the Ministry of Food.
Building & Highway Committee, 6th March 1941.
The surveyor was instructed to communicate with Ribble Motor Services Ltd., regarding the positioning of 2 bus stops in lower hermitage Street.
The surveyor reported that he had now got the personnel required for the Canal Protection Squad, and that the squad were now carrying out their duties in accordance with the instructions received from the County Surveyor.
A letter was read from Mrs. Kelly of the Esplanade, concerning the employment of the Council Gardner in private works. The Council resolved that there original conditions would not be relaxed.
Higher Education Committee, 6th March 1941.
The Librarians report for the month of February was presented to the Committee. It showed 2,325 registered Adults, 464 registered children, and the total number of issued books was 3,613. 18.2% of these being Non-Fiction. 45 new books were added to stock, and 30 books were returned to headquarters.
General Purpose Committee, 6th March 1941.
A letter was sent to the Traffic Commissioners concerning the service between Rishton and Clayton, enclosing the reply received from the Ribble Motor Services Ltd.
Finance Committee, 6th March 1941.
The tenders for the internal decorations of the Council Offices were opened, and awarded to Messrs. J. Trengrove & Son, at the price of £191 0s 0d. upon the condition that the tender is based on the standard rate of wages as being paid on the 1st March 1941, and is subject to adjustment in the case of any change in the rate of wages.
General Purposes Committee, 13th March 1941.
The chairman reported upon steps being taken to set up an information centre in the District. A committee was formed with the purpose of establishing a Citizens Advice Bureau.
Permission was granted to the members of the Youth Movement to use the street scavenging barrows for the collection of food scraps for poultry and pig keepers.
Higher Education Committee, 3rd April 1941.
The Librarians report for the month of March was presented to the Committee. It showed 2,339 registered Adults, 464 registered children, and the total number of issued books was 3,776. 17.7% of these being Non-Fiction. 95 new books were added to stock, and 62 books were returned to headquarters.
Civil Defence Committee, 3rd April 1941.
The Chairman reported upon correspondence received from the Ministry of Food and the county council concerning the contamination of foodstuffs by gas, and upon a meeting held at Clayton-Le-Moors concerning the formation of a scheme in this district. Resolved that the proposal that the Urban Districts of Clayton-le-Moors, Great Harwood and Rishton form a joint scheme be approved, and that the Sanitary inspectors of the respective of the respective districts recommend premises for the treatment of foodstuffs. it was further resolved that a meeting of the grocers in the town be called for the purpose of forming a Food Treatment Squad.
Correspondence was read from the Chief Warden concerning the organisation of the fire watching Scheme. The Chief was thanked for his work in the matter and the confidence expressed that the fire Wardens Service would continue to keep the Fire Watchers Scheme in a high state of Efficiency.
General Purpose Committee, 3rd April 1941.
Dr. J. Ross was appointed temporary Medical Officer of Health for the Urban District under Section 116 of the Local Government Act 1933, at a rate of £80 per annum.
Correspondence was read from the L. M. & S. Railway Company concerning the Accrington to Rishton train service intimating that a relief train had been arranged from Accrington at 8pm each week day evening. Thanks were expressed to Major Proctor for his efforts in the matter.