This township contains a large manufacturing village, 2 1/2 MILES E.N.E. from Blackburn.
The Leeds and Liverpool canal passes through, and the Lancashire and Yorkshire line of railway has a station here.
In addition to the cotton factories, there are in township, collieries, stone quarries, fire brick works, and various trades; and a capacious reservoir belonging to the Blackburn Corporation.
It is supplied with water and gas by the Accrington and Church Gas and Water Company.
The township contains 2,981 acres, mostly the property of Henry Petre, Esq., who is also lord of the manor; and its population in 1841 was 916; 1851, 800; 1861, 1,196; and 1871, 2,577. The rateable value is £17,378.
The Church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is a substantial Gothic edifice, consisting of nave, aisles, chancel, and transepts, and was erected in 1873-4. The design included a spire 150 feet in height, which, when added, will make the total cost amount to about £6,000. There are 579 sittings, all free. The benefice is a vicarage of the annual value of £300, in the patronage of five Trustees, and held by the Rev. Thomas George Horwood, M.A.
The Wesleyans have a chapel in High street, erected in 1862.
The Primitive Methodist chapel is in Knowles street; the United Methodist chapel is in Mary street; and the Independents have a preaching room in Derby street. There are in the village a National school, a Wesleyan school, and a United Methodist school. There are also Conservative and Liberal clubs, and a Mechanics' institute. Post and Money Order Office, 9 High Street; John Taylor, postmaster Letters arrive via Blackburn 7-0 a.m. and 4-0 p.m., and are despatched 10-0 a.m. and 6-25 p.m.