This township contains a large manufacturing village, two and a half miles E. N. E. from Blackburn. It is a station on the Lancashire and Yorkshire line of railway, and the Leeds and Liverpool canal also passes through. In addition to the cotton mills, there are in the township collieries, stone quarries, fire-brick works, a paper mill, and various other trades. Here is also a reservoir belonging to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal Co. The village is supplied with water and gas by the Accrington Gas and Water Company.
The township contains 2,981 acres, mostly the property of Henry Petre, Esq., who is also lord of the manor; and its population in 1841 was 916; 1851, 800 ; 1861, 1,196 ; and 1871, 2,577. The rateable value is £18,188.
The Church, dedicated to Saint Peter and Saint Paul, is a substantial Gothic edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, aisles, and transepts, and was erected in 1873-4. The design includes a spire 150 feet in height, which, when added, will make the total cost about £6,000. There are 579 sittings, all free. The benefice is a vicarage, of the annual value of £300, in the patronage of five trustees, and held by the Rev. Alfred S. Prior, B. D. The vicarage was erected in 1880, and is a good residence. The population of the parish in 1871 was 3,246. The Wesleyans have a chapel in High Street, erected in 1862. The Primitive Methodist Chapel is in Knowles Street; the United Methodist Free Church is in High Street; and the Independents have a chapel in Derby Street. There are in the village a National school, a Wesleyan school, and a Methodist Free Church school. There are also Conservative and Liberal Clubs and a Mechanics' Institute.
Post, Money Order and Telegraph Offices, 9 High Street; John Taylor, postmaster. Letters arrive via Blackburn 7 a.m. and 4-30 p.m., and are despatched at 9-45 a.m. and 6-25 p.m.