This township contains a large manufacturing village, 2 1/2 miles E. N. E. from Blackburn.
It is a station on the Lancashire and Yorkshire line of railway, and the Leeds and Liverpool canal also passes through.
It is in the parliamentary division of Accrington, and in the Hyndburn county council division.
In addition to the cotton mills there are in the township collieries, stone quarries, fire brick works, a paper mill, and various other trades.
Here is also a reservoir belonging to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal Company.
The village is supplied with water and gas by the Accrington Gas and Water Company.
The township contains 2,981 acres, mostly the property of Henry Petre, Esq., who is also lord of the manor; and its population in 1841 was 916; 1851, 800; 1861, 1,196; 1871, 2,577: 1881, 4,056; and 1891, 6,010. The rateable value is about £27,000.
The Church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is a substantial Gothic edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, aisles, and transepts, and was erected in 1873-4. The design includes a spire 150 feet in height, which, when added, will make the total cost about £6,000. There are 579 sittings, all free. The benefice is a vicarage, of the annual value of £300, in the patronage of five trustees and held by the Rev. Henry West, B.A. The vicarage was erected in 1880, and is a good residence.
The population of the parish in 1881 was 4,056.
The Wesleyans have a chapel in High Street, erected in 1862. The primitive Methodist chapel is in school Street; the United Methodist Free Church is in Mary Street; and the Independents have a neat chapel in Derby Street, built in 1883, at a cost of £1,600.
There are in the village a National school, a Wesleyan school, and a Methodist Free Church school. The Catholics have recently established a mission here, which is under the pastoral care of Rev. Fr. Aukes. It is held in the building formally known as The Hermitage.
There are also a Conservative club, Liberal club, and a Mechanics’ Institute.