THIS township contains a large manufacturing village 2 ½ miles E.N.E. from Blackburn.
It is a station on the Lancashire and Yorkshire line of railway, and the Leeds and Liverpool canal also passes through.
It is in the parliamentary division of Accrington, and in the Hyndburn county council division. Under the Local Government Act, 1894, an urban district council was formed, consisting of nine members.
In addition to the cotton mills, there are in the township collieries, stone quarries, fire-brick works, a paper mill, and various other trades.
Here is also a reservoir belonging to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal Company. The village is supplied with water and gas by the Accrington Gas and Waterworks.
The township contains 2,981 acres, mostly the property of .Henry Petre, Esq., who is also lord of the manor; and its population in 1841 was 916; 1851, 800; 1861, 1,196; 1871, 2,577; 1881, 4,056; and 1891, 6,010. The present estimated population is 7,500, and the rateable value is £29,087.
The Church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is a substantial Gothic edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, aisles, and transepts, and was erected in 1873-4. The design includes a spire, 150 feet in height, which, when added, will make the total cost about £6,000. There are 574 sittings, all free. The benefice is a vicarage, of the annual value of £310, in the patronage of five trustees, and held by the Rev. Henry West, B.A. The vicarage was erected in 1680, and is a good residence.
The Wesleyans have a chapel in High Street, erected in 1862. The Primitive Methodist chapel is in School Street; the United Methodist Free Church is in Mary Street; and the Independents have a neat chapel in Derby Street, built in 1883, at a cost of £1,600.
There are in the village a National school, a Wesleyan school, and a Methodist Free Church school. The Catholic school-church, dedicated to St. Charles, is situated in Station Road and was opened November 8th, 1896. The mission was established in 1886, and service was held in the building formerly known as the Hermitage up to the opening of the new church, which, along with the presbytery, cost over £4,000. It is built of brick and terra cotta, with dormer windows glazed with cathedral tint glass. Two beautiful stained glass Windows, by Mayer & Co. have been presented to the church by Mrs. Seed and Mr. Bernard Smith, both of Rishton. Over the principal entrance is a bell turret. The church will accommodate about 500 and the schools about 500 children, and the whole makes a very picturesque and pleasing block of buildings. The Rev. W. L. Fowler is the Pastor, and the Catholic population is about 1,000.
There are in the village a Conservative Club, a Liberal Club, and a Working Men's Club. A Police Station was erected in 1893, at a cost of £1,500.
Urban District Council.—James Hanson, Joseph Marshall, George Ormerod, Hy. Cormack, A. Greenwood, J. Whittaker, W. Wilson, B. Smith, W. H. Stephen. J. J- Adams, clerk. Guardian, Thomas Cross
Post, Money Order, and Telegraph Offices, 9 High Street, John Taylor, postmaster. Letters arrive, via Blackburn, 6-30 a.m., 12-20 p.m., and 4-45 p.m.; and are despatched at 9-45 p.m., 2-45 a.m., and 7-35 p.m.