1903 Barretts introduction to Rishton.

Website Information

What's New?

Why not try the "Interactive Map" of Rishton, move your mouse over the map and click on the hotspots to open the page.

Search This Website


Today in Rishton..

Current Weather

Currently Unavailable

Latest News Headlines

Currently Unavailable

For more news on Rishton use this link

Website Visitors

(See the web stats page in the utilities section of the site for previous visitors)

Since February 2009 -

free counters

This township contains a large manufacturing village, 2 ½ miles E. N. E. of Blackburn. It is a station on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, and the Leeds and Liverpool canal also passes through. It is in the parliamentary division of Accrington, and in the Hyndburn county council division. Under the Local Government Act 1894, an Urban District Council was formed, consisting of nine members.

In addition to the cotton mills, there are in the township collieries, stone quarries, fire-brick works, a paper mill, and various other trades. Here is also a reservoir belonging to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal Company. The village is supplied with water and gas by the Accrington District Gas and Water Board.

The township contains 2,981 acres, mostly the property of Sir George Glynn Petre, Bart, who is also lord of the manor ; and its population in 1841was 916; 1851, 800; 1861, 1,196; 1871, 2,577; 1881, 4,056; 1891, 6,010; and 1901, 7,031. Rateable value, £34,064.

The Church dedicated to St Peter and St. Paul is a substantial Gothic edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, aisles, and transept and was erected in 1873-74. The design includes a spire 150 feet in height, which, when added, will make the total cost about £6,000.00. There are 574 sittings, all free. The benefice is a vicarage, of the annual value of £310.00., in the patronage of 5 trustees, and held by the Rev. Henry West, B. A. The vicarage was erected in 1880, and is a good residency.

The Wesleyans have a chapel in High Street, erected in 1862. The Primitive Methodist Chapel is in School Street; the United Methodist Free Church is in Mary Street; and the Congregationalists have a neat chapel in Derby St, built in 1883, at a cost of £1,600. There are in the village a National school, a Wesleyan school, and a Methodist Free Church School.

The Catholic School-Church, dedicated to St. Charles, is situated in Station Road, and was opened November 8th, 1896. The mission was established in 1886, and service was held in the building formally known as the Hermitage up to the opening of the new church, which, along with the presbytery, cost over £5,000. It is built of brick and terra cotta, with dormer windows glazed with cathedral tint glass. Four beautiful stained-glass windows, by Mayer & Co., have been presented to the church by Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Seed and Mr and Mrs. Bernard Smith. A side altar of carved oak, dedicated to St Joseph, in memory of the late Mr. B. Smith, has recently been given by his widow and family. Over the principal entrance is a bell turret. The church will accommodate about 500, and the schools about 500 children, and the whole makes a very picturesque and pleasing block of buildings. The Rev. James K. O'Doherty is the pastor, and the Catholic population is about 900.

The Conservative Club, Cliff Street, is a large stone building, in the Elizabethan style of architecture. In addition to the club proper, which consists of reading room, library, two billiard rooms, two smoke-rooms, committee room, card-room, steward's room, and other offices, there is a concert and lecture hall on the ground floor capable of seating 300. A bowling green occupies a large proportion of the site, which contains nearly 3,000 square yards. Messrs. J. C. Howard Sandbach and J. Parker were the architects. There are also in the village a Liberal Club, a Working Men's Club, and a Free Gardeners' Club. A Police Station was erected in 1893, at a cost of £1,500.

Urban District COUNCIL (Tel. 34).â€"Wm. Wilson (chairman), J. Whittaker, T. Clayton, James Hanson, Joseph Marshall, C. F. Critchley, C. Heap, G. Ormerod, J. Maudsley. J. J. Adams, clerk ; J. W. Pearson, treasurer; W. H. Parker, collector ; J. Cornall, surveyor. Guardian, Thomas Cross.

Post, Money Order, and Telegraph Office, 9 High Street, E. M. Harrison, post-master. Letters arrive, via Blackburn, 6-30 a.m., 12-30 p.m. and 4-45 p.m.; and are despatched at 9-15 a.m., 11-45 a.m., 2-45 p.m. and 8-20p.m., dispatched 6-0 p.m.