Unsuccessful brickworks were started about 1903 by the Queen Red Facing Brick Co. Ltd., a speculative undertaking influenced by developments in Accrington and the surrounding district.
In 1907 a second company, the Queen Brick Co (Blackburn 1907) Ltd., was formed, by George Knowles and others to continue the business. Brick making appears to have been very spasmodic and in 1909 the company was liquidated. George Knowles was a local builder and prominent businessman in Rishton at this time, so the making of bricks would have been very beneficial to him.
The Great Harwood loop line ran right behind the brickworks, as is evident here. Tipping to the right is now the Whitebirk Industrial estate, and the canal is just out of view on the right. This is were the brickworks would once have stood.
The above picture shows the former site, with the tipping quite evident.
During the 1st World War the building was used for the storage of ammunitions.
There has been extensive tipping on the site, although the quarry workings can be seen to the north. Until recently a plateway, marking the line of a tramroad, could be seen, but the cutting has been infilled.
Site of Brickworks, with the new Whitebirk Industrial Estate visible.
Industrial Rishton by Kathleen Broderick