A To Z Index
Street Index
Message Board
Contact Us Donate to Us
Buildings
Censuses
Churches
Community
Conversions
Cookbook
Council
Directories
Downloads
Event Calendar
Farming
Fun & Games
Geology
Genealogy
History
Industry
Leisure
Maps
Occupations
Parks
Pubs & Clubs
Photo Gallery
Rishton Life
Services
Schools
Shops
Sports
Stories
Suburbs
Transport
Tourism
Walks
Waterways
Web Utilities
Video's

Website Information

Whats newWhat's new?

Why not try the "Interactive Map" of Rishton, move your mouse over the map and click on the hotspots to open the page.

Search This Website


powered by FreeFind

Today in Rishton..

Current Weather

Rishton, England, United Kingdom Weather Forecast Provided by Weathercity.com

Latest News Headlines

Currently Unavailable

For more news on Rishton use this link

Website Visitors

 

(See the web stats page in the utilities section of the site for previous visitors)

Since February 2009 -

free counters

Publications printed about Rishton can be found by following this link.

Parsons Printers was established in 1926 at 216 Whalley road, Clayton Le Moors. The current property on High Street and Mary Street was first used by George Clarke in forming the Wesleyan society.

They later took premises on High Street Rishton, where the business survived until September 1999 when the Proprietor, and son of the original founder of the printers died. Although his son continued the business for another 12 months, the work load became too much for a single person to manage, and with no more family to help run the business, and his brothers already regularly employed, the business was sold.

Letter from Buckingham Palace

In 1968 James Parsons received a letter from the Queen congratulating him on his special edition echo which was used during the Queens visit to Rishton in 1968.

The company first started to print the Clayton and District Advertiser in 1926, which was later followed by the first edition of the Rishton Echo in 1956.

The Rishton Echo was published weekly and delivered free of charge to every single house in Rishton. For many years it was the number one publication for the town, announcing many births, deaths and marriages through its pages. Local adverts for sales and wants, as well as lost and found were placed in the paper, many of which were free of charge.

A printing machine was used to print the paper, the afternoon shift on Tuesdays being chaotic! Now only did the print often run late, but the children of the town employed to deliver the paper were often kept waiting!

Each page was set separately, the ink colour only being monochrome, but two runs were needed for each copy, the front and back, followed by the inside pages.

The paper was paid for by local advertisers who cherished the local work that their adverts brought in.

Goodbye message from the final Echo

The Rishton Echo ceased publication on the 21st May 1987 after over 1,500 issues. (the total number printed was 1555), the publishing rights were sold to another company, but no issues ever appeared.

The premises were always used for selling stationary from the shop front, and the premises consisted of the shop on High Street, as well as the works entrance situated on Mary Street.

Local printing for the businesses was carried out upstairs. An order was taken, negative plates were produced, and the paper was cut to size. Once this was completed the work could then be printed on the machines. This work carried on until the business was closed.

Printers Certificate for James Parsons.

References

Mark Parsons (email with held)

James Parsons Sadly missed.

Rishton Library

Mrs Winters, Westwood Avenue.