The slaughterhouse in School Street was granted a slaughterhouse license to Mr. J. Taylor in 1925. The seal of the council was affixed to the slaughterhouses for Mr. J. Taylor and Mr. T. Harwood. Licenses were granted to the 3 slaughterhouses within the district until change of occupation occurs.
A bone yard was situated in Ashworth Street during the 1930's.
Two were full time, and the other part time.
On the 9th November 1939, the Council clerk read correspondence received from Mrs. E. Taylor, the wife of the owner of the slaughterhouse on School Street, concerning the disposal of the slaughterhouse and garages situated there. The Council took no action in the matter, but from this do we assume that this was the end of the slaughterhouse in this street? If this is the case then the slaughterhouse lasted for 15 years.
Rishton Co-op were granted license to use their premises in Spring Street, by the Rishton urban District Council on the 14th December 1939, as a slaughter house for a period of not more than 13 months, as demanded by the Food & Drugs Act 1939.
On the 17th April 1941, The Council Clerk reported upon the conversion of the Co-operative Society Slaughter-house into a Public Cleansing Station. It was resolved that the County Council should be urged to press forward with this scheme.
The Licence issued to the Rishton Industrial Co-operative Society was renewed on the 12th November 1953, for a further 12 months subject to the condition that before slaughtering commences, the premises will be renovated to the satisfaction of the Authority.
A slaughterhouse remained at Whitebirk until May 2004, although not necessarily in the same location. Davies pet foods were situated next to the canal. The building was demolished and the property (land) put up for sale.
I am told that there were two more slaughterhouses in the district. A red brick building at the side of the canal, opposite Clarke's brickworks still stands, although now used as stables, and at the back of Wheatfield Street was a slaughterhouse and Blacksmiths. This has been demolished to make way for housing.
An application was submitted from Mr. H. Hargreaves, 48, Knowles Street, Rishton for a Slaughterman's licence on the 22nd November 1951, and it was granted for a period of years from the 22nd November, 1951.
Council Minutes 1935