A To Z Index
Street Index
Message Board
Contact Us Donate to Us
Buildings
Censuses
Churches
Community
Conversions
Cookbook
Council
Directories
Downloads
Event Calendar
Farming
Fun & Games
Geology
Genealogy
History
Industry
Leisure
Maps
Occupations
Parks
Pubs & Clubs
Photo Gallery
Rishton Life
Services
Schools
Shops
Sports
Stories
Suburbs
Transport
Tourism
Walks
Waterways
Web Utilities
Video's

Website Information

Whats newWhat's new?

Why not try the "Interactive Map" of Rishton, move your mouse over the map and click on the hotspots to open the page.

Search This Website


powered by FreeFind

Today in Rishton..

Current Weather

Rishton, England, United Kingdom Weather Forecast Provided by Weathercity.com

Latest News Headlines

Currently Unavailable

For more news on Rishton use this link

Website Visitors

 

(See the web stats page in the utilities section of the site for previous visitors)

Since February 2009 -

free counters
Drains
Drain and Door

Previously sited on Spring Street, a small moulding shop and foundry was built in 1870 by Joshua Whitehead, and extended in 1878.

Products included ash pit doors, grates, lamp standards, and general castings.

Whitehead and Sons went out of business in 1924 and the buildings and business were bought by Mr. J. H. Duckworth.

A funeral director and a car repair business currently occupy the site, as of 2001.

In 1926 Spring Foundry was visited by the sanitation inspector on behalf of the Rishton Urban District Council by whom he was employed, and the site was found to have no sanitary outlets. This was on the 11th January 1926 Spring Foundry, Spring Street, were without sufficient or suitable sanitary conveniences, and a written notice was issued and served upon the owner requiring him to make the alterations or additions as may be necessary to comply with part 3 of the Public Health Act (Amended) 1890.

Spring Foundary
.

The owner at this time was J. H. Duckworth and Company, and on the 15th March 1926 were awarded the council tender for producing iron castings as seen in the pictures here.

It was after this contract was won that Mr Duckworth submitted his plans for the new sanitation units in the factory, the 26th April 1926. The plans were passed, but was it a coincidence that the plans were not submitted until after the contract was awarded?

It is believed that the foundry shut down around the 1930's.

I am told that there was another foundry in Spring Mill at the end of the 1950's. Spring Mill was split into smaller units and each unit rented.

Cellar Grates

Buildings

Original buildings much altered, however perimeter walls can be traced on School Street as seen in these pictures.

References

125 - 26 Council minutes

Industrial Rishton - Kathleen Broderick

Drains Coal Holes