A very scarce souvenir booklet that was produced for the occasion of the opening of the Blackburn (East) Power Station on October 21st 1921. The station was situated on the border of Rishton at Higher Whitebirk about three miles from the centre of Blackburn and was constructed by the English Electric Company and contained two 10,000 Turbo Alternator sets. Seven 50,000 Steam Generating Units. Four Water Cooling towers with pipework, and a complete Coal and Ash Handling Plant supplied by The English Electric Co.
The size of the booklet is approx. 240x160mm oblong format, that contains 24 pages and gives a brief description of the station and details of its origin and development and illustrated with superb photographs of the various stages of construction of the building and the giant alternators, switch boards and machinery that runs the station etc and at the rear is a fold-out diagram of the pipework.
Also of great ephemeral interest is the inclusion of the original Menu Card & Toast List that was to accompany the ceremony this menu card also doubles up as a small booklet with cut-away elevation plans of the building the Outside Elevation (N.W): Section through Boiler House: Section through Turbine House & through Offices and Switch Room.
THE BLACKBURN (EAST) GENERATING STATION
The ????? of the opening of the new Blackburn power station on October the 21st, 1921, provided an opportunity of publishing a brief description as it will be when completed and a ????? of the origin and development of ?? the stage in which a apply today.
For some years before the War, the need for an increased electrical power supply had been occupying the attention of the Blackburn Electricity Committee, and in 1912, Mr. Wheelwright, Engineer and Manager of the Electricity Department, submitted to the Corporation preliminary plans for a complete power station to contain two 5,000 kilowatt turbo alternation, with the necessary boilers and accessory plant. These plans were sympathetically received by the Corporation and after careful consideration a scheme based upon them was drawn up and submitted to the Board of Trade, which in 1914 gave its sanction for the work to proceed. As a result of this the requisite land was then bought, and it is upon this site that the present station is erected.
During the War the scheme was held in corpent, and in 1918 the Corporation returned to a consideration of the plans, it was found that the wider experience of the advantages of the electrical drive obtained under War conditions had led to such increased popularity of this form of power, that the demand for electricity in the district considerably exceeded that anticipated in 1914. The result was that the original plans were reconsidered and redrafted to make provision of a station of double the original capacity, and the present station will thus contain two turbo alternators, each of 10,000 kilowatts output.
Tenders for the comprehensive carrying out of these plans were invited, and that of The English Electric Company, Limited, was accepted by the corporation in August, 1919. On the following day the first sod was cut and the work initiated which was to lead to the erection of the first super-power station to be built under the auspices of the then recently appointed Electricity Commissioners.
It is with pleasure that we speak of the willing assistance
rendered by those whose goodwill and active support have added so much to the successful carrying out of the scheme. Mr. Wheelwright, whose services in drawing up the original plans have already been mentioned and who supervised the work of erecting the station on behalf of the Electricity Committee, has a wide experience of power station work, which he placed unreservedly at the disposal of the contractors and the value of his assistance has been inestimable. Sir John Snell himself and since their appointment, the Electricity Commissions under his chairmanship, have exhibited the warmest and most practical sympathy with the work.
The late Mr. Lawrence Cotton, Mayor and Chairman of the Electricity Committee in the early stages of the work, and latter Mr. William Thompson, who, as vice-chairman of the Electricity Committee at that time, will be seen laying the foundation stone in one of our illustrations, have rendered great service.
The present Chairman of the Committee, Mr. Hornby, has, since his election in November last, been a vigorous worker in connection with the undertaking, and has thus continued the activity in local affairs which to distinguished his father, Sir Harry Hornby, Bart.
Unfailing support has been given by the Town Clerk of Blackburn, Sir Lewis Beard, whose participation in the negotiations with the Electricity Commissionary has been of the utmost value.
Mention should also be made of the expordorious manner in which Mr. F. G. Mitchell, of the Mitchell Conveyor Company, prepared designs for the structure in such a way that the steel works were ordered within the first month of the contract, and during the progress and erection of the job no radical alterations were necessary, nor delay caused.
Work in connection with the station has been greatly facilitated, too, by the co-operation of the Blackburn Gas Department whose sidings have been freely placed at the disposal of the Electricity Committee, while the Leeds and Liverpool Canal Company, through their engineer, Mr. A. W. Stamfeld, have placed all possible facilities at the disposal of the Electricity Committee during the erection of the station.
Our acknowledgements would not be complete without reference to the Rishton Council and Officials, in whose urban district the station is situated. Nothing that lay in their power was left undone which could in any way have assisted the scheme in its developement.
The menu card folded out to show full plans of the power station.