Spring mill was situated again on the canal, near the main road, and near coal shafts. It was the first mill to close in Rishton in 1922, due to the depression after the First World War.
First erected in 1866-67 by James, Thomas, and George Riley, who were all plate layers on the railway. The mill was initially leased to Heys & Eccles, later John Heys. The site consisted of 305 looms driven by a beam engine in 1878.
John Whittaker, who became J. P., and C. C., and was secretary of the Rishton Victoria Cotton Mill Ltd., took over in 1885, and was succeeded by Anderton & Walkden of Clayton-le-Moors in 1897.
Major reconstruction occurred in 1900, the mill was leased to the Spring Mill Manufacturing Co. Ltd., of which W. F. Chambers became the owner. 328 looms produced dhooties etc. at this time.
The mill was converted to an iron foundry in the 1920’s and has had a variety of uses since then, but once more became a foundry. Richard Haighton Limited owned it, the main premises being at Burnley. The building was bought in 1961 for redevelopment, but 5 years after this the mill still stood empty.
On the 21st January 1942, the Council gave A new assessment for a Workshop at Spring Mill used by Rishton Welding Co., and the rateable value was fixed at £19 Net Annual Value and £5 Rateable Value. A new assessment for a Workshop at Spring Mill used by National Fire Service was also fixed at £50 Rateable Value.
The main products were cast iron pipes and rough fire grate castings. Both the special coke from Bolton and the Ingots from the Burnley factory were delivered with ease by road, as were the finished goods despatched to the Manchester area.
Manufacturing ended in 1933. In 1937 the mill was taken over by William Haworth for cooked meat production and has since been used for crisp making and also as a foundry.
The employment figures remained static for many years, there being 42 employees of whom 12 were Pakistani's. Only 19 of the 42 live in Rishton. It was after this that the building closed down.
The Council Sanitary Inspector was authorised to serve notice under Section 1 of the Factories Act 1937, on the Val-U Chemical Co. and on the Accrington District Gas & Water Board, to lime wash walls and ceilings of the premises occupied by these undertakings off Spring Street, Rishton on the 21st January 1942.
The premises were rebuilt in 1971 by George Plant for coach building, it is now the East Lancs. Warehousing Co., Ltd.
Virtually no traces of original weaving mill, the site is now occupied by warehousing.
Industrial Rishton by Kathleen Broderick and M Rothwell.
Parish Church and School 1927 Jubilee by Carlton Noble.
A North East Lancashire Town by Marian Sleigh