A To Z Index
Street Index
Message Board
Contact Us Donate to Us
Buildings
Censuses
Churches
Cookbook
Community
Conversions
Council
Directories
Downloads
Event Calendar
Farming
Fun & Games
Geology
Genealogy
History
Industry
Leisure
Maps
Occupations
Parks
Pubs & Clubs
Photo Gallery
Rishton Life
Services
Schools
Shops
Sports
Stories
Suburbs
Transport
Tourism
Walks
Waterways
Web Utilities
Video's

Website Information

Whats newWhat's new?

Why not try the "Interactive Map" of Rishton, move your mouse over the map and click on the hotspots to open the page.

Search This Website


powered by FreeFind

Today in Rishton..

Current Weather

Rishton, England, United Kingdom Weather Forecast Provided by Weathercity.com

Latest News Headlines

Currently Unavailable

For more news on Rishton use this link

Website Visitors

 

(See the web stats page in the utilities section of the site for previous visitors)

Since February 2009 -

free counters

To view a particular month, use these links for quick access.

January April July October
February May August November
March June September December

Minutes of the Meeting of Rishton PROSPECTS Panel held at the Primetime Centre 16th January 2001

1. Present : Colin Cooper (Secretary), Jacqueline Achaski (Treasurer), Carol Achaski, Cllr June Butler, Jacqueline Hinton, Lesley Jackson, Beverley Moorhouse, Cllr Ann Scaife, Margaret Worden. Cheryl Flynn (British Waterways)

2. Apologies : Andrew Parker (Chairman), Fiona Cook (Vice-Chairman), Maureen Cunliffe (Membership Secretary), Cllr Stan Horne. Sophie Murray (PROSPECTS Community Projects Officer),

Colin took the chair and welcomed everyone to the meeting.

3. Minutes of Meeting 5/12/00. Approved as previously circulated.

4. Matters Arising.

a) Pathway entrance Parker St. No progress by HBC so far.

b) Parker St accounts. Cheque from Mark Hopley imminent.

c) Parish/Millennium map. Whereabouts still unknown.

d) Response to Draft Supplementary Planning Guidance. Colin summarised some of the main elements of the draft which was basically HBC's response to revised government policy requiring more emphasis be put on the use of 'brown field' sites for new housing in preference to 'green field' sites.

The Meeting endorsed what was proposed and Colin was asked to write to HBC recording this.

5. Pit yard scheme. Colin reported that some clarification was still needed as to precisely what area was to be included in the scheme and ownership boundaries. June reported that she and a representative of HBC had had a positive meeting with Mr Miller of Ingham and Yorke, as a result of which she was hopeful of Dunkenhalgh cooperation on this and other schemes if it was needed.

Colin had discussed ways of moving the scheme forward with Mark and Sophie and the preferred option seemed to be to approach Groundwork East Lancs to provide the necessary expertise. Following the Parker St pattern which worked well, the first stage would be to draw up some rough ideas and sketches. These could then go out to the community for comment and suggestions before a final scheme was agreed and costings produced. It was suggested that the scheme should include an educational element for schools use and the parents of children at the Methodist School and others be included in the consultation process.

It was agreed that an application should be made to the Rishton Area Council for a grant to enable Groundwork to be engaged to carry out the initial feasibility study. Colin would contact them for an estimate of the cost of such a study and if possible get a rough figure for the overall cost of a typical scheme for budget purposes.

6. Promotional leaflet. In a written report Sophie advised that Carole Cronshaw in HBC's Graphics Dept was currently creating the mock-up of the leaflet which it was hoped would be ready by the end of January. Quotations for printing could then be obtained to enable the Awards for All deadline of 18/2/01 to be met. She was hopeful that the other Panels would bring their ideas for their individual pages to the Panel's Meting 15/2/01. These could be photocopied on the leaflets after the main printing.

7. Flower bed. It was agreed to set a date for a working party to plant up the bed and Saturday 3rd February 2001 at 10.00am was decided upon (unless members were advised otherwise). Colin would contact Andrew to arrange to get the necessary plants/shrubs/etc and members should bring whatever seemed suitable that they could spare from their own gardens.

There had been some feedback from Andrew Hayhurst (HBC) with comments on the choice of plants/shrubs and a suggestion that we used wires rather than trellis for the climbers up the wall. He was also looking to see if HBC could supply any suitable plants.

8. Area Council Capital Grants. Apart from a grant for the Pit Yard feasibility study, it was agreed that we should also apply for a grant for the canalside information board and welcome signs.

9. Canal :

a) 48 hour mooring. Completed.

b) Signage. The information board structure was available, however there was still a difficulty over a suitable map for the information board. Ways of overcoming this were discussed and it was left for Cheryl and Colin to pursue these.

Positioning of the welcome signs was discussed and it was agreed that these be placed at the Rishton/Blackburn and Rishton/Church boundaries. This would facilitate 'Welcome to Blackburn' and 'Welcome to Church' notices on the reverse sides. The third 'Welcome to Rishton' sign would be at the 48hour mooring.

c) Gateway. Gate erected. Decorative panels to be fitted in situ when available.

d) Slipway. It was agreed that for safety sake the concrete strip should be extended through the access gateway to the pavement edge. The Panel would stand the cost (max 250) if necessary. BW had put some 'crush and run' down as a temporary measure and hoped to do the concreting towards the end of March.

There was discussion about safe wheelchair movement through the access gateway and off the pavement. It was agreed that some expert advice was needed.

10. Other projects. There was no further progress to report on the following :

Logo.

Banner.

Ladybird trail.

Bottom Rec'

11. Any Other Business.

a) Trees for Hyndburn Project. Two more primary schools would be needed to take part and members should look out for opportunities to raise the possibility with local school heads.

b) Straw bale building. The working weekend on the foundations for the building of a pilot straw bale structure by the Oswaldtwistle Panel at Tinker Brook had now been rescheduled for the 27th/28th January 2001. Help would be very welcome.

c) 'Kennet'. Cheryl reminded everyone that the BW boat 'Kennet' was available for educational use and was particularly relevant for teaching school children about the do's and dont's of canal safety.

d) PROSPECTS display boards. In her written submission Sophie advised that it was planned to produce PROSPECTS display boards for exhibition use, each Panel having one A1 size. She would like to see some mock-ups at the Panel's meeting 15/2/01.

12. Dates of Next Meetings. Tuesday 20th February 2001

Tuesday 20th March 2001.

Minutes of the Meeting of Rishton PROSPECTS Panel held at the Primetime Centre 20th February 2001

1. Present : Fiona Cook (Vice-Chairman), Colin Cooper (Secretary), Jacqueline Achaski (Treasurer), Carol Achaski, Jacqueline Hinton, Lesley Jackson, Beverley Moorhouse, Cllr Ann Scaife. Maggie Flynn (Groundwork East Lancs).

2. Apologies : Andrew Parker (Chairman), Maureen Cunliffe (Membership Secretary), Cllr June Butler, Margaret Worden. Sophie Murray (PROSPECTS Community Projects Officer),

Fiona welcomed everyone to the meeting, with a particular welcome for Maggie.

3. Minutes of Meeting 16/1/01. Approved as previously circulated.

4. Matters Arising.

a) Pathway entrance Parker St. No progress by HBC so far.

b) Parker St accounts. Now clear with the receipt of a cheque for 3148.97 sent by Mark Hopley. It was noted that as this was the balance of 13,300 grant from the Environment Agency, it should be used broadly in accordance with the original terms which were : "---- to part sponsor an ecological scheme within the Leeds and Liverpool Canal corridor, to utilise native species in any planting scheme and acknowledge the support of the Environment Agency."

It was questioned how much the scheme had cost in the end. Cost to the Panel was just under 19,700 added to which were donated works (mainly by HBC) of approx 4,200. Total grants received were 25,280.

Jackie reported that the current balance in hand at the bank was 6535.50 of which 895.25 was surplus from the 'Awards for All' Celebration Day grant and now allocated to the Promotional Leaflet.

The 'End of Award Report' had been completed and sent to Awards fo All by the 18/2/01 deadline [and acknowledged by them 23/2/01].

c) Parish/Millennium map. The Soroptimists display had now been broken down and filed away in lever arch files. Andrew had obtained the files from Mrs Casey and they were made available for the Panel to look at after the meeting. They would be returned to Mrs Casey and anyone wishing to see them should contact her at St Charles School.

d) Flower bed. A small team had planted up the canalside flowerbed at High St bridge on Saturday 3rd February as planned. Andrew had been unable to be present being on duty but he had provided a planting plan to work to and he and his mother had got together most of the plants and shrubs that were put in. Tinker Brook Nursery (Oswaldtwistle Panel) had also provided some shrubs.

Cheryl had arranged for British Waterways (Brian Robinson) to bring along a barge to gain access to the bed on the far side of the canal on the Church side of the bridge. Brian and one helper had done all the work roughly clearing this bed, which was then planted up protem with lavatera and dogwood. It was hoped that further clearing and bulb planting could take place in the autumn.

All who had helped in any way were warmly thanked.

Ivy's promised by HBC (Parks) had not materialised but were still expected, to be planted later. They had also promised bark chippings free of charge at a date to be arranged. After discussing various options, it was agreed to aim for Friday 6th April at 4.00pm. By this time we would be getting into the lighter evenings with the clocks having gone forward. Wires for training the climbers were still to be fixed.

It was suggested that some sort of a plaque should be put up on site to indicate whose project it was and acknowledge assistance given.

5. Pit yard scheme. A grant of 1200 for a feasibility study had been agreed by Rishton Area Council and Maggie Flynn from Groundwork East Lancashire had been invited to the meeting to get the process started. Some clarification was still needed from HBC as to the exact area to be involved in the scheme [nb the area by the garages leading to Eachill Gardens (Dunkenhalgh?)]. It was noted that planning permission had been given for one detached and two semi-detached houses to be built on the land adjacent to the upper school playground and this would involve extending the road spur into the pithead area.

After something of a 'brainstorming' session it was agreed that Groundwork would aim to produce some landscaping ideas in time for consideration at the next Panel meeting on Tuesday 20th March 2001. From this, some form of consultation document would be prepared and distributed to local residents (including Eachill Gardens), schools and interested parents, and any other groups wishing to make a contribution. Feedback would be requested, probably involving a meeting for the purpose, prior to a report back to the Rishton Area Council meeting on the 25th May 2001.

It was agreed that the local schools should be involved to create a nature area including suitable plants,shrubs and trees to attract insects, birds, etc. Any arrangements should be informal and 'wildflower' rather than formal with constructed pathways in an effort to discourage abuse of the area. The provision of picnic benches while desirable, might cause problems.

6. Promotional leaflet. The final draft was shown to the meeting and was enthusiastically received. 10,000 were to be printed initially to be shared among the various PROSPECTS Panels. Funding was being retained for the overprinting of the back panels with information specific to each Panel.

7. Canal :

a) Signage. Colin showed a mock-up of the Information Board he was working on which he hoped to complete in the next week. This was essentially as initiated by Fiona previously but sized differently due to the dimensions now available from BW and with the addition of a new map of Rishton drawn up with the help of Sophie and David Procter (HBC Planning).

Rishton Area Council had agreed a grant of 2100 for all the proposed signage.

b) Gateway. There was some concern that the access gateway was not wide enough for motorised wheelchairs or double baby buggies. Colin to check dimensions with a motorised wheelchair owner. It seemed that the gateway was made to agreed standards but the wheelchair manufacturers had not borne this in mind in their designs.

c) Slipway. Extended concreting through the access gateway still to be done by BW.

8. Other projects.

a) PROSPECTS Display Boards. At the Hyndburn Panels Meeting 15/2/01 it was agreed that each Panel should produce an A1 mock-up of a display board for exhibition use reflecting their Panels activities by 29/3/01. These would then be professionally scanned and rearranged in a coordinated manner and drafts produced in time for the next Panels Meeting 19/4/01. Colin hoped to have a mock-up ready in time for comment at our next meeting 20/3/01.

b) Logo. Colin had made two unsuccessful attempts to contact Mr Uren at Norden School and would try again after the half term holiday.

There was no further progress to report on the following :

Banner : Ladybird trail : Bottom Rec' : Trees for Hyndburn.

9. Any Other Business.

a) Bibs. It was suggested at the Hyndburn Panels Meeting that PROSPECTS bibs be produced to be worn by members when engaged in public on projects. This would 'tell' people who we were and that we were not HBC employees as was often assumed to be the case. It seemed a popular idea.

10. Dates of Next Meetings. Tuesday 20th March 2001.

Tuesday 24th April 2001. (Note change of week from normal)

Minutes of the Meeting of Rishton PROSPECTS Panel held at the Primetime Centre 20th March 2001

1. Present : Fiona Cook (Vice-Chairman), Colin Cooper (Secretary), Jacqueline Achaski (Treasurer), Carol Achaski, Cllr June Butler, Ruth Colling, Beverley Moorhouse, Cllr Ann Scaife. Sophie Murray (PROSPECTS Community Projects Officer), Maggie Flynn (Groundwork East Lancs).

2. Apologies : Andrew Parker (Chairman), Maureen Cunliffe (Membership Secretary), Jacqueline Hinton, Lesley Jackson, Margaret Worden. Cheryl Flynn (British Waterways). .

Fiona welcomed everyone to the meeting.

3. Minutes of Meeting 20/2/01. Approved as previously circulated.

4. Matters Arising.

a) Pathway entrance Parker St. No progress by HBC so far. Ann said she would 'chase' HBC (Works) to see what was planned.

There was an increasing problem with broken glass from the youths who regularly congregated in the seated area and one child was reported to have fallen and cut themselves. Ann promised to contact HBC (Cleansing) to see what could be done to have the area swept more regularly.

b) Bibs. Sophie reported that she was looking into the provision of either 'PROSPECTS' bibs or 'T' shirts. Church Panel had some funds that they were proposing to use to set up a tool store (possibly located in Gatty Park) for PROSPECT panel use and these would fit in with this. The Panel felt that the bibs were a better idea as these could be made in flourescent material and worn over other clothing, particularly in winter.

5. Foot and Mouth implications. Sophie indicated that a number of PROSPECTS projects were being affected but everyone was concerned to do what was necessary to help the situation. As far as the Rishton Panel was concerned, the main implication was with the canalside flower bed and signs/information board. Hopefully when the latter were ready, the restrictions would be lifted. The main thing with the flower bed was to put down the bark chippings to inhibit weed growth and finish planting. BW had indicated that it might be possible to arrange special access to the flower bed to carry out this work but the Panel felt this would be setting a bad example and we would just have to deal with weed growth in another way if this became a problem. For the moment, at least the bed was not at risk from vandalism. [Later : It was noted that the daffodil bulbs along the canal bank were thriving as they were not being trampled under the feet of fishermen and others!]

6. Pit yard scheme. Maggie apologised that it had not been possible to draw up some sketches from the ideas generated at the last meeting as she had hoped. Their projects too had been badly affected by the foot and mouth restrictions. She tabled examples of schemes elsewhere to see if these would generate any further ideas. She questioned whether sculpture or other artwork might have a

place. This was felt worth exploring, particularly in relation to mining history, but it would need to be robust. Ann and June were concerned to see the path(s) into Eachill Gardens improved and lit. Low level, industrial, robust lighting was suggested.

June reported that the Dunkenhalgh had written indicating their willingness to cooperate with any scheme but would wish to approve the plans where their land was involved. It was felt that this was an encouraging response.

Maggie promised to have sketches ready for the next meeting (24/4/01). There was still time then to go out to consultation before the next Area Council meeting (24/5/01)

7. Canal :

a) Signage. Cheryl had hoped to have a printers draft of the information board to bring to the meeting. However, what they had produced was not satisfactory and had therefore been returned for modification. They were having problems with the Rishton crest and needed a clearer example to scan satisfactorily. Fiona said she would try to find a better example from her records.

Cheryl had now advised that a three-sided board could be made available at little extra cost. As this was being used elsewhere on the canal, she was proposing one for Rishton. In view of this she asked whether we wished to revise our information panel, particularly in relation to the historical information about the canal, some of which might be repeated elsewhere on the BW part of the board. Perhaps we might include more information about the old mills in Rishton. In view of the time it had taken to reach the present point, it was decided to leave our panel as it was and perhaps use the additional space now available to do something about the mills.

b) Gateway. Colin had checked the dimensions of a motorised wheelchair and confirmed that the access gateway was not wide enough by about 4cm at the arm rests (widest part). The structure would need to be raised (or the floor lowered) by about 7 or 8cm to achieve the necessary width. He had not as yet followed up with suppliers to see how typical the chair he had measured was, nor had he measured a double buggy.

Colin promised to contact Sign Studio about decorative panels for the main gate.

c) Slipway. Extended concreting through the access gateway still to be done by BW.

8. Promotional leaflet. Sophie and Margaret were thanked for piloting the leaflet through. They were now arranging for the overprinting of 500 leaflets for the moment, with appropriate Rishton Panel information. Discussion ensued on how best to use the leaflets. It was agreed that a letter drop through every door in the village was wasteful and inefficient. They could however be effectively used this way in a limited area if a project was being done in that area, coupled with an appropriate cover note encouraging people to get involved. They should also be displayed in all possible public places.

9. PROSPECTS exhibition display board. Colin tabled a rough mock-up of photographs and other material that might form the basis of a Rishton Panel display board under the heading 'Rishton PROSPECTS Panel --- the first five years'. It seemed to meet with general approval and suggestions were made about additional material. Script should be kept to a minimum as people rarely stopped long enough to read it. Colin would do some more work on it before passing it on to Sophie to be graphically designed professionally, along with the other Panel's contributions.

10. Other projects.

a) Logo. Colin had now written to Mr Uren at Norden HS (28/2/01) but had had no response. It was suggested he write to the Head Teacher, Mrs Parkinson.

b) Banner. Wait logo.

c) Ladybird Trail. In abeyance due to foot and mouth and other priorities.

d) Trees for Hyndburn. Emma Whittaker was progressing this project well with primary schools in Oswaldtwistle and Huncoat. She would eventually be looking to work with two more schools. She was also working on the 'Babes in the Wood' Millennium tree planting scheme that had proved so popular with the public

11. Any Other Business.

a) Community Chest. Sophie reminded the Panel that grants up to 500 were available via CVS and recommended that we apply for the next round. She would forward an application form to Colin.

12. Dates of Next Meetings. Tuesday 24th April 2001. (Note change of week from normal)

Tuesday 15th May 2001

Minutes of the Meeting of Rishton PROSPECTS Panel held at the Primetime Centre 24th April 2001

1. Present : Andrew Parker (Chairman), Fiona Cook (Vice-Chairman), Colin Cooper (Secretary), Jacqueline Achaski (Treasurer), Carol Achaski, Cllr June Butler, Ruth Colling, Beverley Moorhouse, Cllr Ann Scaife, Margaret Worden. Cheryl Flynn (British Waterways).

2. Apologies : Maureen Cunliffe (Membership Secretary), Jacqueline Hinton, Lesley Jackson. Sophie Murray (PROSPECTS Community Projects Officer), Maggie Flynn (Groundwork East Lancs). .

Fiona took the chair as Andrew was unable to attend until his shift finished. She welcomed everyone to the meeting.

Colin explained that due to a misunderstanding on dates GWEL were not ready with sketches for the Pit Head Project. They had however offered to attend a meeting the following week, if one could be arranged.

3. Minutes of Meeting 20/3/01. Approved as previously circulated.

4. Matters Arising.

a) Foot and Mouth. Cheryl advised that the article in the local paper stating that the towpath through Rishton was open again was incorrect and they were doing their best to reinstate tapes, etc barring access points that people had taken down. She would advise us when things could return to normal.

b) Canalside flowerbed. Nothing more could be done until access was available. Andrew had some more plants to put in. Those that had been put in were coming to life, undisturbed by vandalism.

c) High St bridge gate decoration. A letter had been sent to Sign Studio (28/3/01) but no reply had been received yet. Colin to follow up by telephone. The letter also raised the question of refurbishment of the noticeboard on the Community Garden which was in need of attention.

d) Pathway entrance : Parker St. The stone which was a tripping hazard had been removed and the pathway surface made good but the realignment of the edging had not been done at the same time. Andrew Hayhurst (HBC) had assured Colin that it was still on the work schedule to be done.

e) Shetland pony repair. A replacement head had been ordered.

f) Promotional leaflet. The 500 printed leaflets were now with Sophie awaiting overprinting.

g) Exhibition display board. The photograph of the Action Factory workshop had now been received from the Observer (after originally printing the wrong one) and Colin could proceed to finish off the display and get it to Sophie for encapsulation.

h) Bibs. The Church Panel were taking this up as part of their tool store equipping.

i) Logo. A letter had been sent to the Head Teacher (Mrs Denise Parkinson) 28/3/01 but no reply had been received so far. Colin to follow up.

j) BTCV magazine article. Contact had been received from BTCV regarding an item about the Community Garden for their magazine 'Conserver'. Margaret had written an article in response.

5. Canal.

a) Signage. Cheryl presented a printers draft of the information board panel. This incorporated a coloured example of the Rishton crest that Fiona had found among her Civic Society records. After further discussion about duplication of information about the Canal on ours and BW's panels on the notice board, a previous decision was reversed and it was agreed to replace Canal information on our panel with information about the mills and other industrial sites in Rishton. Cheryl would contact Mike Clarke of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal Society to provide this information and she would then have the panel modified accordingly.

[Later : Sophie suggested that in the absence of a Rishton Panel logo, the PROSPECTS Foundation logo should be displayed to complement the BW logo.]

Cheryl reported that the welcome signs were still to do. On the question of payment she was advised that the grant from the Rishton Area Council was now in the PROSPECTS Panel banking account and 2100 had been allowed in line with the BW estimate.

b) High St bridge access gateway and slipway. Colin had done some dimensional research on wheelchairs and motorised scooters for the disabled. This confirmed that wheelchairs should be able to get through the access gateway, the wheels generally being the widest part and quite low down. The widest part of the scooter generally was the arm rests. The only way of getting these through the gateway as presently designed would be to lower the floor through the gateway by about 10cm. But this might then allow motorcycles through. Colin would research motorcycle dimensions to check.

There seemed no possibility of designing so that double baby buggies could get through.

Keys to the main gate for selected individuals were suggested but could be difficult to control.

c) C2K and Regeneration Summit reports. Colin had attended the launch at The Globe of these two reports (11/4/01) and spare copies were circulated to those present. One of the follow-up actions was to be a 'corridor study' to see what more might be done to regenerate the areas around the Canal from Pendle to West Lancs. The Panel asked Cheryl to try to ensure that they were consulted as there were plenty of things that needed doing along the Rishton stretch.

d) 'Waterwatch'. Cheryl explained the purpose behind BW's 'Waterwatch' initiative. If any companies/businesses were known to be or seen polluting the Canal, they should be reported to BW. They would then be visited and counselled and encouraged to 'clean up their act'. Prosecution could follow if they persisted.

e) Stone seat by flower bed. Cheryl was reminded that BW had promised to replace the stone that was currently lying on the flowerbed, back on its seating.

f) Bench at Cut Lane bridge. Cheryl noted that BW had offered to repair the vandalised wooden bench by Cut Lane bridge and she would check whether it had been done.

6. Pit Head project.

It was agreed to try and arrange a meeting with GWEL for Monday 30/4/01 at Primetime.

[Later : A meeting took place 30/4/01 with Kevin Gillespie, a landscape architect with GWEL. Kevin presented a sketch of a suggested layout for the Pit Head area from the ideas passed on to him by Maggie following her meetings with the Panel. After much discussion it was agreed that the sketch formed a good starting point but a number of possible modifications were suggested. However it was further agreed to present the sketch as it was to the

Rishton Area Council meeting, which had now been brought forward to the 3rd May 2001. Members would be on hand to discuss the proposals with people present and note their comments. Colin would communicate the outcome to Kevin.]

7. Rio + 10.

A follow-up to the 1992 Rio Earth Summit was to be held in Johannesburg in June 2002 called 'Rio + 10'. The agenda was to be set in May this year. Shell Better Britain Campaign was carrying out a survey so that groups already involved with Agenda 21 could have some input into the agenda process and Rio + 10 itself. A questionnaire had been produced and the meeting proceeded to complete one for onward transmission to SBBC.

8. Community Chest Fund application.

It had been suggested that we make a bid for funding from the Community Chest. Applications were considered every six months for grant usually between 200 and 500. Applications for the next round were due in June 2001. After consideration of the criteria, it was decided to defer application, largely because of our current healthy bank balance and the absence of a scheme to seek funding for.

9. Other projects. Banner, Ladybird Trail, Trees for Hyndburn : nothing to report.

10. Any Other Business. None.

11. Date of Next Meeting. Tuesday 15th May 2001

Minutes of the Meeting of Rishton PROSPECTS Panel held at the Primetime Centre 15th May 2001

1. Present : Andrew Parker (Chairman), Fiona Cook (Vice-Chairman), Colin Cooper (Secretary), Jacqueline Achaski (Treasurer), Carol Achaski, Ruth Colling, Geoff Smale. Kevin Gillespie (Groundwork East Lancs).

2. Apologies : Maureen Cunliffe (Membership Secretary), Cllr June Butler, Jacqueline Hinton, Lesley Jackson, Beverley Moorhouse, Cllr Ann Scaife, Margaret Worden. Sophie Murray (PROSPECTS Community Projects Officer). Cheryl Flynn (British Waterways).

Andrew welcomed everyone to the meeting.

3. Minutes of Meeting 24/4/01. Approved as previously circulated.

4. Matters Arising.

a) High St bridge gate decoration. A letter had been sent to Sign Studio (28/3/01) but no reply had been received yet. Colin to follow up by telephone. The letter also raised the question of refurbishment of the noticeboard on the Community Garden which was in need of attention. [Later : Colin met Gary of SS 21/5/01 at High St bridge. Gary to produce some design ideas for the gate decoration in time for the next meeting]

b) Pathway entrance : Parker St. The stone which was a tripping hazard had been removed and the pathway surface made good but the realignment of the edging had not been done at the same time. Andrew Hayhurst (HBC) had assured Colin that it was still on the work schedule to be done.

c) Shetland pony repair. A replacement head had been received. Colin to fit. Having second thoughts about fitting on site. Will remove for fitting off site if fixing bolts can be undone. [Later : Discovered wrong head sent (Tapiola Horse not Shetland Pony). SMP to replace ASAP at no cost to Panel. Wrong head can be retained.]

d) Promotional leaflet. The 500 printed leaflets were still with Sophie awaiting overprinting.

e) Exhibition display board. Colin had finished off the display and taken it to Sophie for encapsulation. Status of other Panel's display boards to be discussed at Panel's Meeting 25/5/01 (Possible that Rishton might not be represented as no one free that night).

f) Bibs. The Church Panel were taking this up as part of their tool store equipping. However, it was agreed that we should have some for our own use, to be kept locally.

g) Logo. Colin had spoken to the Head Teacher of Norden H.S. (Mrs Denise Parkinson) who had passed our letter dated 28/3/01 to the art department. She promised to follow this up and make a response. A letter dated 14/5/01 had now been received regretting that for a number of reasons they were unable to assist. (They had had a number of requests from elsewhere for logo designs.)

It was agreed that Colin now write to the Heads of the primary schools. It was suggested that it might be a suitable project for year six pupils coming to the end of their time at the schools.

5. Canal.

a) Foot and Mouth. In Cheryl's absence, Colin was asked to contact her on the latest position and minute her response. [Later : Cheryl advised that the towpath was to remain closed until the MAFF tests of local sheep/cattle confirmed F & M was no longer present. This could take about three weeks. Subsequently the rash of new cases in the Clitheroe/Settle/Skipton areas threw everything 'into the melting pot' once again.]

b) Canalside flowerbed. Unfortunately the weeds were beginning to take a hold once again and a working party would probably be needed to deal with them once access was available.

c) Signage. Colin to contact Cheryl and minute response. [Later : Cheryl reported that Mike Clarke was preparing the details on mills, etc for the information panel revision and Cheryl was aiming to have the final version available for the next meeting, together with details of the other two panels].

d) High St bridge access gateway and slipway. Colin had not yet had a chance to do any research on motor cycle dimensions to check whether they could get through if the access gateway was modified to allow motorised scooters for the disabled to get through.

e) Stone seat by flower bed. BW still to replace stone seat when access possible.

f) Bench at Cut Lane bridge. BW still to repair when access possible.

6. Pit Head project.

Andrew reported that there had been some feed-back at the Area Council meeting but no strong opposition. It seemed clear that the circular gravel/mosaic walled area needed to be moved towards the other end of the bund, as far away from the houses on Walmsley Ave as reasonably practical. It was also agreed that it would be too 'risky' having it seated. However we should try to retain something of a seated area near the path coming out of Eachill Gardens and see how things went there.

The whole emphasis of the area should be educational with possibly display/information boards detailing the history of the mills, mining, brick making, etc as well as what to look for in the wildflower areas, bird and bat boxes, etc. Maximum involvement of the schools should be sought for this. There could be question and answer sheets for a form of 'treasure' trail.

Plants and shrubs should ideally provide colour all season as the wildflower areas would not always look colourful. Varieties should be such as to discourage vandalism. Low lighting would be needed on the path through from Eachill Gardens as well as bollards to prevent vehicles using it. Dog dirt and litter bins would be needed.

The question of who would maintain the area once it was established needed to be considered.

Kevin said he would get a revised sketch ready to go out with the minutes in two weeks time. Colin would also prepare a draft of a letter to go with the sketch to the community and schools. A consultation programme would be finalised at the next meeting.

7. Other projects. There was a brief discussion on other projects the Panel might consider. Could the presumably unadopted roadway from George St to Henry St alongside the Methodist School perimeter fence be cobbled to make it safer for walking down? Could we do something to encourage peole to tidy up their back alleys? Could something be done to improve the flowerbeds round the Library? Who was responsible for them anyway?

Many of these were felt to be in the remit of HBC/ the Area Council but there might be something the Panel could do to assist.

8. Any Other Business. Andrew presented details of a number of training days being organised by The Directory of Social Change under the title 'Building the Future'. Colin to contact Sophie/Mark to see if they were aware of them.

9. Dates of Next Meetings. Tuesday 19th June 2001

Tuesday 10th July 2001 (Note change from usual meeting week).

Minutes of the Meeting of Rishton PROSPECTS Panel held at the Primetime Centre 19th June 2001

1. Present : Andrew Parker (Chairman), Colin Cooper (Secretary), Jacqueline Achaski (Treasurer), Carol Achaski, Cllr June Butler, Ruth Colling, Jacqueline Hinton, Beverley Moorhouse, Margaret Worden. Sophie Murray (PROSPECTS Community Projects Officer).

2. Apologies : Fiona Cook (Vice-Chairman), Maureen Cunliffe (Membership Secretary), Lesley Jackson, Cllr Ann Scaife, Geoff Smale. Cheryl Flynn (British Waterways). Kevin Gillespie (Groundwork East Lancs).

In sending her apologies, Lesley regretted that because of her duties now as Mayoress, it was unlikely that she would be able to attend any meetings over the coming year but she would retain great interest and wished the group well. Likewise the Panel wished her a very successful and happy year.

With Andrew delayed on duty, Colin took the chair and welcomed everyone to the meeting.

3. Minutes of Meeting 15/5/01. Approved as previously circulated.

4. Matters Arising.

a) Letter from Mrs Casey 14/5/01. At the previous meeting, a letter from Mrs Casey had been read out but this fact had not been recorded in the minutes. In it she regretted that due to Soroptimist involvement she was rarely able to attend Panel meetings. This would be all the more difficult now she was President. Colin had responded by letter thanking her for her interest and sending her the good wishes of the Panel for her year in office.

b) Logo. A letter had been written to the headteachers of the three primary schools in Rishton inviting them to take part in a logo competition. There had been no response so far. A deadline for entries had been set for 6/7/01 so that judging could take place at the next Panel meeting 10/7/01. Colin to follow up.

5. Canal.

a) Foot and Mouth. Cheryl had confirmed by phone that there was still officially no access to the towpath.

b) Signage. Cheryl had reported that while progress had been made, the design of the boards had not yet been finalised. She was now aiming to have this complete in time for the next meeting.

c) High St bridge - flowerbed. Wait access for major weeding exercise.

- stone seat. Stone still to replace by BW. Wait access.

- Gate decoration. Gary of North West Graphics (was Signs Studio) had not been able to produce a design in time for the meeting due to removal to new premises.

- Access gateway. Colin still to assess invalid scooter/motor cycle access implications with BW.

- Slipway resurfacing and concreting. BW await access.

d) Bench at Cut Lane bridge. BW still to repair when access possible.

6. Pit Head project.

The revised sketch had been sent out with the minutes of the last meeting as agreed. June was very concerned that it still showed some form of seating in the area behind Eachill gardens. While this might be fine for the residents in the day time, the risk of abuse of the area at night by others was too great. She was also concerned as to how much development the Dunkenhalgh would agree to in their area. So far upgrading the path was the only thing that had been mentioned to them.

Colin had prepared some draft covering letters for community and schools' distribution with the new sketch. These were generally approved. Sophie had had 450 new PROSPECTS leaflets overprinted to go with them.

However, the question of the responsibility for on-going maintenance was raised once again. It was agreed that the Panel could not be expected to take this on but the issue needed an early resolution.

There was also the question of funding for the scheme. In the submission to the Area Council for the grant for the feasibility study, the answer to Q16 on overall project cost had been given as 15K to 20K. This might be a little on the low side depending on the artistic and educational features that were built into the scheme.

After much discussion, it was agreed that we should not proceed to any further community consultation until these questions had been resolved. Seeking further comments and suggestions from the community at this stage, and thereby raising expectations, would not do the credibility of either the Panel or the Area Council any good if the scheme was to founder later on either issue. Colin was to contact Groundwork EL to get some form of maintenance guidelines and then write to the Area Council Coordinator to seek further guidance before we proceeded further.

On the subject of the path connecting Walmsley Ave with Walmsley St, June reported that her previous optimism about getting County to refurbish the remaining length had proved misplaced. Having at last contacted someone who was able to advise that there was provision for it, it transpired frustratingly that County were now denying any responsibility for it. She was doing all she could to resolve matters.

7. Report on Panel's meeting 16/5/01.

Sophie reported that apart from consideration of the display boards that had been produced by some of the Panels and ways of encouraging other Panels to do so, the main discussion had been about ways of making the meeting more effective and valued. One way that was suggested was to get the Panels to chair the meetings on a rota basis rather than burden Sophie with this each time. It was agreed to adopt this idea and Church would Chair the next meeting on the 11th July 2001. Sophie would be writing to Panel members about this proposal and asking Panels whether they wished to be involved or not.

8. Other projects.

a) Pathway entrance : Parker St. Andrew Hayhurst was on holiday. Colin to follow up on his return.

b) Shetland pony repair. The correct head had now been received. Colin to fit.

c) Community noticeboard refurbishment. Colin had discussed this on site with Gary of NW Graphics and had an action plan, when time allowed.

d) Promotional leaflet. See 6. above.

e) Bibs. Our request for our own stock had been noted.

9. Any Other Business. June gave a report on the work HBC was doing to provide some sort of useable facilities on the Bottom Rec.

10. Dates of Next Meetings. Tuesday 10th July 2001 (Note change from usual meeting week).

Tuesday 18th September.

Minutes of the Meeting of Rishton PROSPECTS Panel held at the Primetime Centre 10th July 2001

1. Present : Fiona Cook (Vice-Chairman), Colin Cooper (Secretary), Jacqueline Achaski (Treasurer), Carol Achaski, Ruth Colling, Jacqueline Hinton, Beverley Moorhouse, Margaret Worden.

2. Apologies : Andrew Parker (Chairman), Maureen Cunliffe (Membership Secretary), Cllr June Butler, Lesley Jackson, Cllr Ann Scaife, Geoff Smale. Sophie Murray (PROSPECTS Community Projects Officer). Cheryl Flynn/Vaughan Jones (British Waterways).

Fiona welcomed everyone to the meeting.

3. Minutes of Meeting 19/6/01. Approved as previously circulated.

4. Matters Arising. None.

5. Canal.

a) Foot and Mouth. Information was that the towpath was open again except for the stretches from Sidebeet to Norden and Altham to Pilkington bridges. This was mainly due to fencing/walling problems in those areas and the consequent danger of sheep straying on to the towpath. It was hoped to deal with the problems and open the remaining stretches as soon as possible. [Later : opened from 20/7/01.]

b) Signage. It was believed that revised drafts of the information board were now ready and Colin was asked to get sight of these for checking.

c) High St bridge - flowerbed. Now access was possible, it was arranged that a weeding working party would take place on Saturday 21/7/01 starting at 9.30am. Additional days might be required and 28/7/01 & 4/8/01 were earmarked, on all of which Andrew should be available. Jackie (A) and Jackie (H) might not be available on these dates but hoped to be able to put some time in during the week. Colin to check with BW what was a suitable weed killer for the paved areas. More plants might be required and it was agreed funding from our reserves be allocated to this as necessary.

- stone seat. Stone still to replace by BW. Colin to follw up now with BW.

- Gate decoration. Gary of North West Graphics (was Signs Studio) had still not been able to produce a design. Colin following up. - Access gateway. Colin still to assess invalid scooter/motor cycle access implications with BW.

- Slipway resurfacing and concreting. Colin to follow up now with BW.

d) Bench at Cut Lane bridge. BW still to repair when access possible.

e) Community Development Officer. Vaughan Jones had been appointed to this post and would be making contact with the Panel in due course.

6. Pit Head project. As agreed at the last meeting, Colin had written to Steve Watson, the Area Council Coordinator (25/6/01) expressing the Panel's concerns regarding sources of funding for the main project and on-going maintenance, and seeking guidance on these before proceeding further. There had as yet been no response.

7. Logo. It was with great pleasure that entries had been received from Year 6 of all three primary schools. The Panel members proceeded to judge the entries school by school, choosing a 1st, 2nd & 3rd for each. It was agreed that all three in each school should receive a certificate and that the winner in each case should additionally get a 5 gift token. Colin/Beverley to organise and Colin to write letters of thanks to each school.

It was also agreed that no one design on its own was suitable as a logo, and therefore Margaret would contact Carol Cronshaw (HBC Graphic Designer) with a view to seeing if a 'professional' could combine some of the best ideas from the nine winners into a design that would be suitable.

8. Other projects.

a) Pathway entrance : Parker St. Andrew Hayhurst had assured Colin that the realigning of the pathway edge was on the work schedule once the Millennium garden project had been completed in Great Harwood..

b) Shetland pony repair. The pony had been successfully detached from its frame and removed from site. The subsequent repair was in hand.

c) Community noticeboard refurbishment. Still to be done when time allowed. There was a feeling that it should have lasted better than it had and Colin was to raise this with NW Graphics.

d) Promotional leaflet. The cost funded by the Panel had included some display stands. Colin to enquire of Sophie where these were. We could then display the new leaflet in the Library, Primetime, etc.

9. Any Other Business.

a) PROSPECTS Performance Evaluation exercise. The initial LEF grant of 125,00 from landfill tax resources had funded numerous PROSPECTS projects, including our own hedge laying project. It had also funded the post that Sophie was currently filling. Funding for the post from this source was due to run out in March 2002. To secure further funding for this post (not necessarily from LEF) and for other purposes, it was felt that an independent evaluation of PROSPECTS performance in the use of the LEF grant would be helpful, and even essential. A quotation from Bootstrap Enterprises Ltd to carry out such an exercise had been received valued at 4300. Some 2000 of funding had been secured for this and other funding was being sought. However this might take some time to acquire and there was an urgent need to proceed with the evaluation.

Colin proposed that the Rishton Panel loan the PROSPECTS Foundation the balance needed to get the evaluation under way. Sophie's post had been of great benefit to the Rishton Panel (and others) and we would certainly wish to see it continue.

The meeting unanimously agreed the proposal with the proviso that it must be clearly understood that it was a loan and there must be some form of guarantee that it would be repaid.

10. Dates of Next Meetings. Tuesday 18th September 2001.

Tuesday 16th October 2001. (Annual General Meeting)

Minutes of the Meeting of Rishton PROSPECTS Panel held at the Primetime Centre 18th September 2001

1. Present : Fiona Cook (Vice-Chairman), Colin Cooper (Secretary), Cllr Ann Scaife. Vaughan Jones (British Waterways).

2. Apologies : Andrew Parker (Chairman), Jacqueline Achaski (Treasurer), Maureen Cunliffe (Membership Secretary), Carol Achaski, Cllr June Butler, Ruth Colling, Jacqueline Hinton, Lesley Jackson, Beverley Moorhouse, Geoff Smale, Margaret Worden. Mark Hopley (PROSPECTS Coordinator).

Fiona welcomed Vaughan to his first meeting and expressed disappointment that there weren't more members present to meet him. It was known that some were on holiday.

3. Minutes of Meeting 10/7/01. The meeting not being quorate, approval of the minutes of the previous meeting was held over..

4. Matters Arising.

a) Flower bed, High St Bridge. The weeding of the flowerbed 21/7/01 had been successfully completed, assisted by some useful preparatory work by the two Jackies beforehand. Andrew had manhandled the stone seat back into position and Vaughan promised to arrange for it to be recemented. Subsequently Andrew had put in some 50 worth of additional plants and Colin had erected some wires for the climbers (hopefully not human!). Further planting should be reviewed during the winter (nb. ivys from HBC) together with the laying down of bark chippings. It was agreed that Colin should arrange for a plaque to be made and fitted indicating that the refurbishment had been carried out by the Panel and BW.

5. Canal. Vaughan said he welcomed this opportunity of making contact with the Panel, some of whom he had already met on the Boat Trip 2/8/01. He was committed to working with the community and he looked forward to assisting this and other PROSPECTS Panels and other community groups in their efforts to enhance the Canal and its surrounding areas for everyones benefit.

He then outlined what BW hoped to achieve with its Leeds & Liverpool Canal Corridor Study which was to be carried out by BW staff starting in October and supported with funding by the North West Development Agency. Broadly this would cover half a mile either side of the whole of the Canal in Lancashire. Such a study had only been carried out in parts previously by local boroughs. It would cover aspects such as regeneration, environmental improvement, initiatives for leisure, recreation & tourism, etc. The key was community involvement and consultation and he hoped to involve the Panel more in the future. The first draft was due in April 2002.

In parallel with this the East Lancashire Partnership was producing a Regional Park Study, a major feature of which would be the Canal. This was being carried out by a team of consultants from Gillespies.

a) Signage. Final printing of the information board was awaiting better samples of the PROSPECTS Foundation and Hyndburn BC logos. Mark had this in hand to supply them on disc. Positioning of the welcome signs was discussed and Vaughan promised to follow this through with Cheryl. Vaughan was advised that the invoice should be sent to the Panel who held the grant money from the Rishton Area Council.

b) High St bridge. Colin was to arrange a date to go to NW Graphics to discuss designs for the gate decoration. It was agreed that Vaughan would arrange a date for a site meeting with Mark Overam and Panel representatives to discuss what could be done to improve the

surface on the slipway and through the access gateway.

c) Cut Lane bench repair. Vaughan understood that the bench was ready to be put back in position.

(9/10/01 New bench made of recycled plastic now in place.)

6. Pit Head project. Colin reported that a letter dated 7/8/01 had been received from Steve Watson (Area Council Coordinator) in responsed to our enquiry dated 25/6/01. In it he pointed out that the original idea was merely for a scheme to 'tidy up' the site within a 5000 budget available from the Rishton Area Council in 2000/2001 and with minimal on-going maintenance costs. The scheme being developed by the Panel clearly went beyond this.

In an effort to help resolve what appeared to be a misunderstanding of the scheme concept and to seek a way forward, Mark Hopley had arranged and chaired a meeting of Rishton councillor, Groundwork and Panel representatives 11/9/01. New factors had become relevant to the site in that one householder backing onto the site wished to purchase some of the land and also the developer building houses opposite the site wished to tip on it and subsequently do some landscaping. This did not alter the fact that the Panel/Groundwork scheme went farther than intended within the money available and presented considerable on-going maintenance problems.

It was agreed that the Councillors would establish further details of the land purchase and landscaping and then redefine their aims for the site. A prime consideration would be how to get more community involvement. The Panel/Groundwork scheme would be put on hold for possible consideration at a later date when funding (non Area Council) and maintenance cost provision (est. 300/yr) would be addressed. Groundwork would establish how much of the feasibility study grant of 1200 had so far been spent.

7. Logo. Certificates (1st, 2nd & 3rd) and 5 gift vouchers (1st) had been presented before the summer break to the winners from each of the three primary schools. Contact had still to be made with Carol Cronshaw (HBC Graphic Designer) with a view to seeing if a 'professional' could combine some of the best ideas from the nine winners into a design that would make a suitable logo.

8. Other projects.

a) Pathway entrance : Parker St. Latest information from Andrew Hayhurst (HBC) was that work to re-align the path edge had been put back in the HBC Works programme. Ann promised to follow this up.

b) Shetland pony repair. Complete

c) Community noticeboard. This had been removed from site by NW Graphics to Colin's drive and was in course of refurbishment. NWG claimed they were under no obligation to carry out any remedial work but they would be happy to advise and assist in any way possible, as already demonstrated.

d) Promotional leaflet. Mark had located the information left by Sophie about the provision of display holders and would be following this up.

9. CAP Evaluation exercise. All members would have received various mailings from Bootstrap Enterprises and a number of Panel members had attended the discussion meeting 21/8/01. Clearly there had been some problems with timing but this shouldn't detract from the importance of the exercise. Members who had not attended the first discussion meeting were encouraged to attend the second on 2/10/01.

10. Crime and Disorder/Friends of Rishton Youth. An attempt was being made to resurrect the C & D sub-group in Rishton on which the Panel had been represented. Just what form it would take in future had not been finalised. However, juvenile nuisance had been one of the main concerns

for the sub-group and there was a move now to set up a separate group called 'The Friends of Rishton Youth' to see what could be done in a positive way to address this problem. Members were encouraged to support this initiative.

11. Mersey Basin Week, 5th to 12th October 2001. Correspondence had been received asking the Panel to consider some appropriate project during the Week for which some funding could be made available. There had been no time to organise anything this time but it was suggested next year we contact the Inland Waterways Association and perhaps do something with them.

12. Any Other Business.

There seemed to be a lack of projects for the Panel to undertake and it was suggested this be a major item on the agenda for the AGM.

13. Dates of Next Meetings. Tuesday 16th October 2001. (Annual General Meeting)

Tuesday 20th November 2001

Tuesday 18th December 2001 ???

Footnote : Lynne Morgan has been engaged by the PROSPECTS Foundation to replace Sophie Murray, with an amended title of Community Projects Manager. She hopes to start by the end of October. She has a background as a landscape architect and comes to PROSPECTS from Groundwork St Helens.

Minutes of the 5th Annual General Meeting of Rishton PROSPECTS Panel held at the Primetime Centre 16th October 2001

1. Present : Andrew Parker (Chairman), Colin Cooper (Secretary), Fiona Cook (Vice-Chairman), Jacqueline Achaski (Treasurer), Carol Achaski, Lesley Jackson, Beverley Moorhouse, Margaret Worden. Mark Hopley (PROSPECTS Coordinator). Vaughan Jones (British Waterways).

2. Apologies : Maureen Cunliffe (Membership Secretary), Cllr June Butler, Ruth Colling, Jacqueline Hinton, Cllr Anne Scaife.

Andrew welcomed everyone to the meeting.

3. Chairman's address and review of the year. (see Appendix I) Andrew thanked all those who had made a positive contribution to the Panel in the last year for their effort and support. He in turn was thanked for his leadership.

4. Treasurer's report and accounts. Jackie (A) tabled a summary of income and expenditure for the year from 17/10/00 to 16/10/01. Income totalled 6523.93 (1999/2000 - 2408.61) and expenditure 1012.12 (1380.69), leaving a balance in the bank of 8932.56 (3420.75). Income included 3148.97 surplus from the Parker St Community Garden project held by HBC and 3,300.00 from Rishton Area Council earmarked for canal signage (2200) and the pit head feasibility study (1200). Some 250 remained to be spent from the grant for the promotional leaflet on overprinting and dispensers. Taking this and the Area Council Grants into account left an unallocated useable balance of approx. 5380.

It was proposed, seconded and agreed unanimously that the accounts as presented be accepted and Jackie was thanked once again for her stewardship of the Panel's finances.

It was noted that apart from some postage expenses, no other admin expenses, such as travelling or telephone, were being claimed by any of the Officers, particularly in the case of the Secretary. It was agreed that such claims should be made to give a true reflection of the costs of running the group and those involved were asked to prepare something where appropriate.

Mark suggested that the group might to advantage consider becoming an unincorporated registered charity in its own right. It was likely that its constitution would need to be amended in any case if it were to apply to 'Awards forAll' for another grant, as its dissolution clause was no longer acceptable to them. Baxenden Panel had recently gone down this route using a model constitution produced by 'Community Futures' as a basis and he was sure they would be happy to let the Rishton Panel have a copy for guidance. It was agreed to look into this possibility and that a Special Meeting would need to be called to adopt any new constitution.

5. Election of Officers and Representatives. The following were duly proposed, seconded and elected unopposed en bloc :

Chairman Andrew Parker

Vice Chairman Fiona Cook

Secretary Colin Cooper

Treasurer Jacqueline Achaski

Forum Representatives (2) Margaret Worden, Colin Cooper

Due in part to continuing health problems, Maureen felt unable to continue as Membership Secretary and it was therefore decided to dispense with this post. It was being covered by the Secretary. It was agreed however that some secretarial assistance could be helpful to the Secretary and Margaret Worden offered to take on a role as Assistant Secretary. This was readily agreed.

6. Review of current projects and plans for the future.

A. Current Projects.

i) Flowerbed, High St bridge. Andrew and Ann-Marie had weeded again, refixed vandalised wires, pruned broken Lavatera, etc. HBC were still promising some ivy's and also climbing hydrangeas. They hoped to have some bark chippings before winter was out. BW had promised to recement the stone seat. They were insisting that any application of weedkiller to the stone sets, etc on the towpath be done by them to ensure proper control. MW Graphics were preparing a specification and quotation for the proposed plaque. Vaughan confirmed that it was acceptable to fix it to the wall behind the bed. Colin was to contact Cheryl about the approved font for 'British Waterways'. [Later : Cheryl advised that a specific font was only required if the full BW logo was being used.]

ii) Slipway, High St bridge. At a meeting on the canalside 9/10/01 between Colin, Vaughan, Mark Overum and Ian Stanworth, BWadvised that they were proposing to tarmac the slipway within the current financial year. Vaughan would approach HBC to see if the kerb stones could be lowered at the same time. He would also see what could be done to prohibit cars from parking in the entrance to the slipway. They could be a serious hinderance if emergency access was required. Regrettably nothing could be done to modify the access gateway to make it possible for motorised wheelchairs to get through, eg the floor level through the gateway could not be lowered due to part of the structure being cemented just below the existing surface. In the longer term this sort of problem could be part of a review of European standards.

iii) Gate decoration, High St bridge. Colin had met with MW Graphics 9/10/01 and he tabled a resulting draft design for a decorative panel incorporating the cut-out designs from the community notice board, Rishton crest and reference to the 'Ladybird Trail'. Mark advised against the latter as this might not be the name of the trail when it was eventually reconstituted. However it was agreed that reference to PROSPECTS and BW should be included and again the approved font for the latter would be required. Colin to follow up with MW Graphics and obtain a quotation.

iv) Signage. Mark (H) had supplied logos for HBC and the PROSPECTS Foundation on disc to BW and final printing of the information board was now in hand. Mark (O) had taken over responsibility for the welcome signs on the way into Rishton on the canal and at the 48 hour mooring and the design and costing of these was in hand. BW were aware of the fact that the Rishton Panel held the 2100 grant money from the Area Council for the signage based on BW's original estimate and it would be helpful if this could be accounted for to the Area Council in the current financial year.

v) Pit Head project. There had been no further contact from the Area Council since the meeting with Councillors 11/9/01, nor had Groundwork communicated the cost of their work so far. It was agreed that Colin get a written statement from Groundwork of that cost, together with a written estimate of maintenance costs for the scheme as last proposed. He should then write to the Area Council with this information, confirming that the Panel were not proposing to proceed any further until new guidance was received.

vi) Logo. Mark reported that Emma had successfully worked with an 'outside' graphic designer to produce a logo for her 'Trees for Hyndburn' project from ideas from school children (cost approx 100). It was agreed that Colin should get the details from Emma and explore the possibility of using this contact for our own logo.

vii) Pathway entrance, Parker St. Andrew Hayhurst (HBC Parks) had confirmed that this was still on the Works programme but could still not give a firm date when it would be done.

viii) Community notice board. Colin had made some progress on the refurbishment but progress was slow due to other priorities. He was concerned that better use be made of the notice board when it was back in position. The use of the Library as a place to take notices for display had not worked. Also, all four sides were not needed for current notices and he wondered if the local schools might be approached to mount displays of artwork, etc. He would welcome guidance and new ideas as the notice board was to an extent being wasted.

ix) Promotional leaflet. Mark reported that the leaflet dispensers that Sophie had identified were relatively expensive perspex ones and he suggested that it might be cheaper, more environmentally friendly and practical to get a cardboard version. It might then be possible to buy enough for other Panels to use within the funding available. Fiona offered to get details through educational suppliers.

x) Cap evaluation. Members who had not completed a questionnaire and/or attended the first discussion meeting with Noel Camm of Bootstrap Enterprises were again encouraged to do so and attend the second meeting 2/10/01. Further funding had now been successfully obtained so that the Panel's offer of a loan might not now be required or at least only a much smaller sum.

B. Future plans

i) Queen's Golden Jubilee. Andrew encouraged members to think of ideas that might make suitable projects to celebrate the Jubilee. A presentation was to be made at the Council Offices 18/10/01 by 'Awards for All' about special Jubilee grants (500 to 5000).

ii) Canal Regeneration. Substantial funding had been obtained through LEF for canal regeneration projects by the PROSPECTS Panels during 2002. 15210 had been allocated to Rishton which, together with match funding, could make some 22000 available. Mark was to look at the details of the bid to see what it was envisaged this money would be used for and what the criteria for the bid were, and report back to the Panel.

iii) BW canal corridor study. Vaughan reported that the study was going ahead with a staff member appointed to the Burnley office to pursue it. The aim was to produce the Phase 1 report by April 2002 and he encouraged anyone with any useful information, previous reports/studies etc to let him know so that he could pass them on.

iv) Use of 'Kennet'. Vaughan advised that the BW canal boat 'Kennet' was due in Blackburn w/c 13/5/01 and could be made available to us on its way through Rishton on Sat/Sun 11th & 12th May (possibly also pm the 10th and am the 13th). The Panel might like to consider some activities centred round the boat and interest the local schools in its educational capabilities. A member of staff could also be on hand to assist.

v) BW events calendar 2002. Vaughan also advised that BW were preparing an events calendar for 2002. If the Panel had any events that BW could attend or assist with, they would be only too happy to include these in the calendar. [See letter Appendix II received subsequently].

vi) Cross-canal flowerbed, High St bridge. The Panel needed to revisit this flowerbed which had become overgrown again during the summer. This would need to be with the assistance of BW, with appropriate risk assessments etc.

In due course it should be possible to use the PROSPECTS boat for this sort of purpose. However, this was still in storage awaiting refurbishment by the Church Panel. It was to be made available to other Panels, but again it was recognised that users would need appropriate safety training.

Mark suggested that Colin could now write to Richard Cliffe of the Church Panel requesting repayment of the 225 loan made to them to help purchase the boat.

7. Any Other Business.

a) Community Projects Manager. Further to the announcement the Lynne Morgan was being engaged to fill this post, she had now given 'back-word'. So the recruitment process would have to start all over again. It was unlikely now that the post would be filled before January 2002. Mark regretted that because of pressures of other work, he would only be able to concentrate on the canal regeneration project with the Church Panel and Tinker Brook with the Oswaldtwistle Panel, both of which were at a critical stage. He would however try to help out other Panels where he reasonably could. The meeting appreciated the difficult position he was in and thanked him for all the time and effort he put in.

b) BW Canal Visitors Survey 2000. Vaughan tabled a copy of the Survey for members interest. [See Appendix III for page 1of 5. Copy of full Survey can be provided on request to Colin]

c) BTCV Membership. It was agreed that we should renew our BTCV membership and associated insurance cover at a cost of 55. Jackie (A) to action.

d) Woodland Walk. Mark distributed 'fliers' of a woodland walk Emma was organising at Wilson Playing Fields, C-L-M the following Sunday (21/10/01 1.30pm to 4.00pm) as part of her 'Trees for Hyndburn' Project and urged all who could to support it.

e) Hyndburn Panels' Meeting. The meeting which the Rishton Paanel was to chair had been postponed from 10/10/01 to 21/11/01. This had been done partly with Lynne's projected arrival in mind but would probably still go ahead but in C-L-M so that the tool store could be viewed.

8. Next Meetings. Tuesday 20th November 2001

Tuesday 4th December 2001 (note change from normal)

Chairman's Address and Review of the Year 2001.

Can I start by saying 'thank you' to all those who have helped us throughout the year with various projects, such as British Waterways, Groundwork East Lancashire, MW Graphics, Hyndburn Borough Council and Rishton Area Council, and not least yourselves, the members.

It has been nice to see Rishton PROSPECTS Panel at the forefront of some projects for PROSPECTS as a whole, particularly in the development of the new PROSPECTS promotional leaflet and I hope we will be able to continue with this kind of participation between Panels in the future. We have requested some of our own identifiable 'bibs' for working parties to wear when the Church Panel set up the proposed 'tool' store for Panel use. We have contributed a display board recording our activities over the past five years, which will be part of a PROSPECTS exhibition display with similar boards from other Panels. This was being put together by Sophie, who we were very sorry to see leave PROSPECTS. Her help over nearly three years has been invaluable. Our thanks to her and also to Mark who continues to be a tower of strength.

As for projects that have been on-going throughout the year, we have the Parker St Community Garden which is now more of a maintenance project. We are still waiting for HBC Works Dept to finish the pathway. It would be nice if this could be done soon so that this part of the project could be finally laid to rest. Thanks need to be said to Colin for his woodworking 'skill' in repairing the seating from time to time and the Shetland pony. However we need to be aware that some weeding and pruning is necessary, as is litter picking (thanks to the two Jackies for their efforts in this latter respect). It is a shame that one of the planters is almost bare due to the plants being trampled on, but we can't give up and should consider some replanting.

Colin is also in the process of refurbishing the notice board after MW Graphics helped move the structure off site. Hopefully this will help keep the notice board looking good for many more years to come.

It has been good to see a developing relationship with the new Rishton Area Council, in particular being asked to help with a scheme to improve the area around the old pit head in Walmsley St. Unfortunately the scheme being developed with Groundwork EL appears now to have been more ambitious than was originally envisaged and outside the budget range. Also other parties have now come forward with interest in the area, so the matter for the moment resides with the Area Council to advise on the next step. The work done so far could be revisited as a future Panel scheme.

Many of our projects this year have involved British Waterways and the Leeds/Liverpool Canal. Planting in the flowerbed at High St bridge is virtually complete. Working parties worked very hard clearing and planting up the bed and subsequently mounted a major weeding exercise when the bed became overgrown due to lack of access because of the Foot and Mouth restrictions. I would like to say a special 'thank you' to Anne-Marie who although she doesn't live in Rishton, has given up her time to work on the project at various stages, notably helping me recently with the latest weeding and putting in exrta plants.

The 48 hour mooring has been put in place by BW and from what we have seen is being well used. The information board and welcome signs are nearing completion and will hopefully encourage canal users to make more use of the village's facilities.

BW have put in a gate and access point at High St bridge but it hasn't stopped motorbikes and motorised skateboards getting on the towpath elsewhere, as I witnessed when working on the flowerbed one day. It has regrettably prevented motorised wheelchairs getting on the towpath and we have been trying to find some way of overcoming this but without success so far. Colin is working with MW Graphics to come up with some designs to decorate the gate with a theme related to the nearby community notice board.

BW have replaced the vandalised wooden bench on the towpath by Cut Lane bridge with a sturdy recycled plastic one.

Special thanks need to go to Cheryl Flynn, Mark Overam and others from BW for their help, advice and support. We look forward to continuing this happy association with Vaughan Jones.

The search for a Rishton Panel logo goes on. We are grateful to the three primary schools for organising a Year 6 competition in each school to generate some designs. We hope some professional help will be able to convert the winning designs into a useful end product.

Thank you again for all your efforts and support. With your continuing support, I hope we can continue to generate new ideas and maintain our efforts to achieve something for the benefit of the community of Rishton.

Minutes of the Meeting of Rishton PROSPECTS Panel held at the Primetime Centre 20th November 2001

1. Present : Andrew Parker (Chairman), Colin Cooper (Secretary), Jacqueline Achaski (Treasurer), Chris Garood, Jacqueline Hinton, Lesley Jackson, Beverley Moorhouse, Margaret Worden. Vaughan Jones (British Waterways).

2. Apologies : Fiona Cook (Vice-Chairman), Carol Achaski. Mark Hopley (PROSPECTS Coordinator).

Andrew welcomed everyone to the meeting, with a special welcome to Chris attending for the first time.

3. Minutes of the AGM 16/10/01. The minutes of the AGM circulated with the Agenda of the current meeting were agreed as a true record.

4. Matters Arising.

a) Awards for All. Colin and Jackie(A) had attended an 'Awards for All Jubilee Grants Presentation' on 18/10/01 organised by HBC Area Council Coordinator Kerry Hamer. Kerry had specific responsibility for encouraging community groups and voluntary organisations in Hyndburn to apply for AfA grants, in particular related to Jubilee projects. Applications for AfA grants had been rather sparse so far from Hyndburn. Procedure for Jubilee grants was no different from normal but a special certificate would be issued to successful applicants. Grants from 500 to 5000 were possible.

It was confirmed that at the moment for certain categories of applications, some wording in constitutions could be critical and we could be affected. However this might change in 2002 when some restructuring of the funding for AfA was proposed. In either case, a review of our constitution would not go amiss, together with the possibility of applying for charity registration. Colin had received the Application Pack from the Charity Commission but had not taken any further action as yet.

b) Canal Regeneration. It had not been possible to pursue the details of the LEF award for this yet with Mark Hopley. It was likely that this would be the first major project undertaken by the new Community Projects Manager when appointed. Vaughan could see this tying in well with BW's Canal Corridor Study, a brief for which was made available to those who wished to study it.

c) Cross-canal flowerbed. It was agreed that it would be ideal to have another go at improving this in time for any activities that might take place next year around the 48 hour mooring. Chris would investigate a means of access that did not rely on having the BW barge available. However, it was stressed that the risks of working in that area must be fully assessed before any work was done.

d) BTCV Membership. When renewing our membership, Jackie had discovered that the fee had gone up to 65 (was 55). The meeting agreed to the payment of the additional amount.

e) Community Projects Manager. The position had been readvertised. 12 applicants had been short-listed for interview 23/11/01, with the hope of having someone in post in January 2002.

f) Officers expenses. Lesley asked whether it had been possible yet to identify the legitimate expenses of the officers of the Panel. She was advised that this still remained to be done.

5. Progress reports.

a) Pathway entrance : Parker St. Latest information from Andrew Hayhurst (HBC) was that work to re-align the path edge was imminent, hopefully with the next week.

b) Community noticeboard. Colin had almost completed the refurbishment and with MW Graphics assistance hoped to have it back in place within the next week. He had spoken to the Rishton Pupil Referral Unit about displaying artwork on one of the boards. They were keen and suggested a Christmas display. The meeting applauded the idea and it was agreed that Colin approach them again to see if a display could be ready in time for the Christmas tree lighting ceremony on 5/12/01.

c) Promotional leaflet dispensers. In Fiona's absence there was no report.

d) Logo. Emma Whittaker had referred Colin to 'cellcreative limited' of Leigh who had assisted her in designing a logo for her 'Trees for Hyndburn' project. Colin had contacted their Paul Pugh and sent him the winning schools' artwork. Paul was going to prepare some ideas for the Panel to consider. A typical estimate of cost was 250 but could be less depending on what was involved.

e) Pit head project. Groundwork had advised that their spend so far was 748.36 out of the 1200 allocated, the remainder being held against the originally proposed community consultation exercise. As the scheme as latterly proposed would contain some regular grass cutting, the estimated annual maintenance cost was 700. This could be reduced significantly if grass cutting could be eliminated. Colin had not yet conveyed this information to the Area Council Coordinator nor had he received any further guidance about the Area Councils latest intentions for the site. Presumably they were still waiting details of the house builders 'landscaping' intentions.

f) Canal : Signage. Progress on the information board was well advanced but BW were proposing to delay erection until the Spring when it was the intention to have a well advertised formal launch, together with similar boards elsewhere along the canal. Production of the welcome signs was in hand.

High St bridge - flowerbed. A working party to finish the weeding started by Andrew and generally bed things down for winter was set for the following Saturday (24/11/01) 10.00am to 12.00 noon. Colin would see if HBC Parks Dept was in a position to supply the promised ivys. [Later : In the event, not only did they supply 4 ivys but also some 300 polyanthus, winter flowering pansies, etc and a selection of conifers. Well done!]

- seat stone. Would be recemented when slipway work was done.

- slipway. Vaughan had contacted HBC (David Law) about putting up no parking notices at the entrance to the gateway and also about lowering the kerb edges. These were agreed in principle and a site meeting was to be arranged to finalise the detail with a view to tying these in with the resurfacing. The aim was to do all together in the Spring.

- gate decoration. Colin tabled a revised design drawn up with MW Graphics, deleting reference to the Ladybird Trail but including Prospects Panel and British Waterways wording. Quotation just received from MWG was 490 + vat. On placement of an order, the proposed wall plaque by the flower bed would be supplied free of charge. Vaughan took the design to obtain any necessary BW approval and Colin was to discuss with Mark as part of the Canal Regeneration scheme before proceeding.

6. Community Garden. It was noted that HBC Parks Dept had been on site and pruned the shrubs and cut back the vegetation coming through the fence. This was much appreciated. It was agreed that if time allowed the working party 24/11/01 would do any further tidying up that was necessary, once it had done the canalside flowerbed. [Later : Approx 2/3 of plants supplied for the flower bed were put in the Garden.]

7. Canal event, 11th/12th May 2002. Vaughan had written to Wheelton Boat Club suggesting that their boats might like to take part in some 'events' at Church (11th, Sat.) and Rishton (12th, Sun.) on their way back from Skipton Water Festival the previous weekend. Reaction from them was not particularly encouraging but Colin was asked to write to them as a follow-up.

8. Jubilee/Future projects. One suggestion was that we might consider a disabled fishing point with the Angling Assn. There were no other ideas forthcoming but everyone was encouraged to keep making soundings in the community for suggestions.

9. Hyndburn Panels' Meeting, 21/11/01. It was agreed that Colin should chair this meeting the following evening at the Council Offices at which the Rishton Panel was acting as host. Andrew was on duty and Fiona was tied up with school inspection work. Main item on the agenda was to be a presentation by Noel Camm of Bootstrap Enterprises about the findings in his CAP Evaluation Report.

10. Friends of Rishton Youth. Unfortunately it hadn't been possible to send a representative to the last two meetings (16/10/01 & 13/11/01). However it was believed that they had been able to form a committee and there was discussion about the possibility of creating a skate park on the 'Top Rec' (behind Harwood Rd west). The attendance at the Youth Disco at the Free Gardeners Club 19/10/01 had been very disappointing.

It was agreed that we should continue to encourage this movement wherever we reasonably could. The next meeting was scheduled for 18/12/01.

11. Any Other Business.

a) Lord's House Farm. A letter had been received from Lord's House Farm giving details of a number of conservation/environmental projects they were proposing to run over the coming months and inviting us to join in. It was agreed that as a group there was little we could do except advertise the projects as widely as possible through the membership (see Appendix I over). Colin was to write asking them to keep us on their mailing list for further details as they became available.

b) Rishton Pupil Referral Unit. Colin advised that he had been invited to serve on the Management Committee of the RPRU as a community representative from the PROSPECTS Panel and had recently attended his first meeting. He would keep the Panel informed of relevant information and ways of working to mutual benefit.

c) PROSPECTS Tool Store. The list of tools and equipment to be made available to PROSPECTS Panels through the Tool Store being set up by the Church Panel was tabled. Not included was our suggestion of bibs but this had already been pointed out and would be acted upon.

The store would be located in the Civic Centre, C-L-M and details of how to access it would be given in due course.

d) Woodland Walk, Sunday 2nd December 2001, 1.00pm to 3.00pm. Members were reminded that Emma was organising a second walk at Wilson Playing Fields, C-L-M and every support would be welcome.

e) David Scaife. The meeting was advised that Ann Scaife's husband David was receiving treatment in Christie's hospital. It was agreed that a suitable card be sent wishing him a speedy recovery.

12. Dates of Next Meetings. Tuesday 4th December 2001. (2 weeks earlier than usual)

Tuesday 15th January 2002.

Minutes of the Meeting of Rishton PROSPECTS Panel held at the Primetime Centre 4th December 2001

1. Present : Colin Cooper (Secretary), Jacqueline Achaski (Treasurer), Lesley Jackson, Beverley Moorhouse, Cllr Ann Scaife, Margaret Worden. Vaughan Jones (British Waterways).

2. Apologies : Andrew Parker (Chairman), Fiona Cook (Vice-Chairman), Carol Achaski, Ruth Colling, Chris Garood, Jacqueline Hinton, Cllr Stan Horne. Mark Hopley (PROSPECTS Coordinator).

In Andrew and Fiona's absence, Colin welcomed everyone to the meeting and took the chair.

3. Minutes of the Meeting 20/11/01. The minutes of the last meeting circulated with the Agenda of the current meeting were agreed as a true record.

4. Matters Arising.

a) Community Projects Manager. Following the interviews 23/11/01 the post had been offered to Mike Stapleford who had an HND in Ecology and Conservation, a BSc in Environmental Management and volunteering experience with the ranger service at Wyre. It was hoped he might be able to start before Christmas. [Later : start date of 7/1/02 agreed.]

b) Officers expenses. Still to be evaluated.

c) Lords House farm. Colin had written 28/11/01 requesting further details of their proposed environmental projects.

d) Working party 24/11/01. Work to finish tidying up the canalside flower bed had been successfully completed. Thanks to the supply by HBC Parks, over 300 polyanthus, winter flowering pansies, etc had been planted in the flower bed and in the community garden. 4 ivys had also been planted. Remaining to be put in were a number of conifers when a suitable location could be found, probably on the community garden.

e) David Scaife. A get well card had been sent, which Ann said was much appreciated. There was a long way to go with his treatment but he was remaining positive.

f) Hyndburn Panel's Meeting 21/11/01. This had been successfully hosted and chaired by our Panel. Noel Camm of 'Bootstrap' had given an interesting presentation of his evaluation project for the Community Action Programme and there had been a good discussion session following it.

g) Woodland Walk, Sunday 2nd December 2001, 1.00pm to 3.00pm. Margaret reported that the event organised by Emma (Trees for Hyndburn) which she had attended, had been well supported, informative and blessed with a pleasant afternoon this time.

5. Progress reports.

a) Pathway entrance : Parker St. Work was in progress. [Later : Completed 5/12/01]

b) Community noticeboard. Refurbishment was complete at a cost of 56.09 (mainly Hammerite paint) but MW Graphics were having difficulty getting a trailer to transport it back on site. The Rishton Pupil Referral had made up an excellent Christmas decorative panel to go in it, so it was still hoped to get it on site in time for the Christmas tree lighting 5/12/01. [Later : Noticeboard with decorative panel re-erected on site 3.30pm 5/12/01]

c) Promotional leaflet dispensers. Fiona had this in hand to source a supply.

d) Logo. Colin tabled some design alternatives submitted by 'cellcreative limited'. The basic design seemed to appeal, even though it contained little if anything of the children's winning efforts. Further variants were suggested which Colin was to put to 'cellcreative limited'.

e) Pit head project. Colin had written to the Area Council Coordinator 28/11/01, confirming that we were not proposing to proceed further and advising that Groundwork had spent 748.36 so far. He sought guidance on whether the Council would wish the balance of the 1200 grant to be refunded or retained for some future use. It seemed right that Groundwork should invoice the Panel for their costs so far and this was agreed.

6) Canal.

a) Regeneration. Vaughan was having discussions with Mark the following day at which he hoped to clarify what was intended for the LEF award.

b) Signage. Still working towards a Spring launch except for the welcome signs which could go up sooner.

c) High St bridge - gate decoration. Vaughan put forward the possibility of doing a completely new gate incorporating the decorative panel. The existing gate could be used by BW elsewhere. Depending on an acceptable quotation, BW would pay the difference between the decorative panel only quote and the full gate quote. Colin to put the idea to MW Graphics in the first instance. - cross-canal flowerbed. Chris had worked out a way of approaching the site from the non-towpath side. Needs safety assessment and follow-up.

- seat stone. Would be recemented when slipway work was done.

- slipway. Vaughan had had a site meeting with Mark Overam (BW) and David Law (HBC). It was agreed that HBC would lead with the lowering of the pavement edge and BW would tie in with them so that the slipway resurfacing, etc could be done at the same time.

d) Sefton group. Vaughan had contact with a neighbourhood action group in Sefton with similar aims to PROSPECTS and funded with SRB6 finance. He felt that both groups could benefit from an exchange of ideas. He wondered if they could visit some of the Panels with a coach trip, say in January 2002. Those present felt that we should do all we could to encourage other groups. Vaughan to discuss with Mark.

7. Canal event, 11th/12th May 2002. Colin had not yet written to Wheelton Boat Club to follow up Vaughan's initial approach. Vaughan reported that the Church Panel were keen on the idea in conjunction with the launch of their 'half-way' marker and picnic area. At an appropriate time the Rishton schools would need to be approached about the use of the 'Kennet'.

8. Jubilee/Future projects. Colin had yet to write to the Angling Assn to float the idea of a disabled fishing point. Other ideas for new projects were still needed.

9. Shell Better Britain Campaign 2002 Project. Colin read out salient details of the Project. It was agreed it was outside the Panel's capabilities but might be something PROSPECTS as a whole might get involved in. Colin to discuss with Mark.

10. Friends of Rishton Youth. Colin would be unable to attend the next meeting at Primetime on Tuesday 18/12/01 at 7.00pm. Notes were

made in diaries in the hope that someone else could go in his place.

11. Any Other Business.

a) Lottery bid. Colin gave brief details of the Foundation's successful award of 258,000 which could have far reaching effects for the future of the PROSPECTS movement (see Appendix I). It might involve renewed interest in Enfield Wharf as a PROSPECTS base and Vaughan was talking to Phil Barwood about this.

b) Workshops - Training in Your Community. See Appendix II.

c) Conservation area - Norden. Vaughan reported that he had seen something about the establishment of a conservation area in the vicinity of Norden. Further details to be obtained.

d) Meadowhead. The Panel had been alerted to proposed new house building in the Meadowhead area in case there was an environmental issue. Further details to be obtained.

e) Christmas trees in High St. Approving remarks were made about the illuminated Christmas trees above shop fronts down High St. The effect would be even better when more shops took part. It was noted that the brackets had provision for hanging baskets which could be used in summer.

12. Dates of Next Meetings. Tuesday 15th January 2002.

Tuesday 19th February 2002