There are several parks and recreation areas around
Rishton, some have previously had planning permission for them for houses,
and some have been lost to housing already.
In November 1937, The council clerk reported to the
council building and highway committee the receipt of a letter from the
King George Playing Fields foundation regarding the proposed playing
fields. The council resolved that in view of other developments in
connection with parks and playing fields, the proposal to prepare a scheme
for a King George Playing Field be abandoned.
On the 12th May 1938, The council were invited to join
the National Playing Fields Association at Associate level, and the sum of
£1 1s 0d was sent as requested.
A new Rotoscythe was purchased along with a hand mowing
machine on the 5th July 1938. Steps had also been taken to purchase a one
horse mowing machine, and in the circumstances, arrangements had been made
with Great Harwood U. D. C. to hire a machine for use on the recreation
In view of the increased number of school children in the district in
September 1939, the recreation grounds were to be opened on Sundays.
The Clerk reported receipt of correspondence from the
National Playing Fields Association concerning the open spaces available
for recreation purposes in the district and asking for suggestions for
additional facilities. A Special Sub-Committee consisting of Councillors
Booth, Kenyon, Leeming and Sturzaker was appointed to consider and submit
to the Council a scheme for a Public Park and the scheme was forwarded
provisionally to the National Playing Fields Association immediately the
Sub-Committee had reached a decision. On the 27th July 1944, A
recommendation of the Special Sub-Committee was adopted and that the land
north of Blackburn Road between Cutt Lane and Harwood Road, approximately
40 acres in extent, was earmarked for a Public Park.