Conservative Club, Rishton

Website Information

What's New?

Why not try the "Interactive Map" of Rishton, move your mouse over the map and click on the hotspots to open the page.

Search This Website

SEARCH

Today in Rishton..

Current Weather

Currently Unavailable

Latest News Headlines

Currently Unavailable

For more news on Rishton use this link

Website Visitors

(See the web stats page in the utilities section of the site for previous visitors)

Since February 2009 -

free counters
Street: Cliff Street
Town: Rishton
Post Code: BB1 4EE

Conservative Club

The second building to be used by the Conservative Club, which they left in 1900.

The first time the Conservative was formed was in 1873 at 52 High Street, a cottage on Petre Row.

Soon after a custom built 3 storey building was erected at number 61 High Street, officially opened on the 30th November 1878.

The ground floor had to be a shop due to a local bylaw that dictates that ALL the buildings along High Street had to be this way. This bylaw is still in use to this day. Two shops where originally in the building, as well as the club itself. The ground floor consisted of the shops and the club keepers quarters, while the first floor had a large newsroom and two small card and draughts rooms. On the second floor was the billiard room. Once work started on the new premises in Cliff Street, the building was taken over by J & H Smiths, a printing company, and is still used today by Fred Ellison for the same purpose.

The Architects of the new building were J.C. Howard Sandbach, and J Parker, and the foundation stone was laid on the 12th November 1898, by Sir Robert Hermon – Hodge who was later to become Lord Wyfold.

Foundation Stone

Conservative Club Foundation Stone on the 2nd June 2009.

The club was official opened on the 16th June 1899 by the conservative candidate at the time, Mr Edward Michaels. Conservative Club on Cliff Street in February 2001.

Conservative Club

The building consists of stone frontage, in an Elizabethan style. In addition to the club proper which consists of a reading room, library, two billiard rooms, two smoke rooms, committee room, card room, Stewards room and other offices, there is also a concert hall and lecture hall on the ground floor which is capable of seating up to 300 people. A bowling green occupies a large part of the property, which consists of almost 3,000 square yards. The club has had many distinguished visitors over the years, not least of which was Lord Derby, who used the premises for an important address.

Ride Off

Con Club Runout. Conservative Club gathering, perhaps on a run out, as the fence and hedge in the background is not known. On the back row 6th and 7th from left are George Cheetham again, and his wife Elizabeth Ellen Cheetham (born Walton). This would be about 1930. They used to live in Burton St. (Picture and information supplied by Vivian Downing (Nee Harrison) via email, January 2010).

Past presidents include J Hanson, J Whittaker, H Whiteside, H. H. Cormack, J Bateson, R Gilroy, A. Smith, A Trengrove, and in 1951 Mr T Hacking. Once members reach the age of 70 they have become Honorary members, having been paying members for the previous 10 years, who have then been free to enjoy the benefits of all the club has to offer.

The club was once known as THE RISHTON VICTORIA CONSERVATIVE CLUB, the Victoria having been dropped in later years. In 1933 the club won the Conservative Clubs Political Challenge Banner, which was presented in London to Mr. H. Wilson (chairman) and J. H. Brindle (secretary) by Lord Bayford.

Club Coin
Conservative Club token - Front
(MOVEUSE POINTER OVER THE PICTURE TO MAKE I
Conservtoken - Back.

Club Coin Conservative Club token - Front (MOVE YOUR MOUSE POINTER OVER THE PICTURE TO MAKE IT CHANGE) Conservative Club token - Back.

Like most of the clubs and pubs in Rishton, the Conservative Club used tokens which could be exchanged for a pint of beer. These tokens were given to members, usually at Annual General Meetings, for the members to use. They were issued as "teasers" to keep the members in the club, and also to show appreciation of the clubs members. These tokens have been replaced by plastic in the pubs and clubs that still exist in the town.

Drawing Room
The drawing room of Rishton Conservative Club in 1914. The club was holding an 'At Home' event, the furniture had been borrowed by various members.The council clerk was instructed to write to the Conservative Club on the 9th July 1936, and ask for the use of the Assembly room on Tuesday Evenings from 7-30 to 9-00 pm for the Keep Fit Class that was being formed. A reply from the Conservative Club was received on the 6th August, stating their price for the rent of the Assembly Rooms for the Keep Fit Classes was 10/- per night. This was accepted by the council.

On the 13th February 1941, Rishton Urban District Council received correspondence from the Area Public Assistance Officer concerning the rest centre in the district. Application was to made to the Conservative Club for the use of part of the club premises as an Emergency Rest Centre.

The club is affiliated to the Association of Conservative Clubs

Conservative War MemorialThe War memorial in the Conservative Club.

References

  WebAuthorISBNPublisherEmailDetails
143 Rishton UDC Council MinutesRishton Urban District Council   
180 Rishtons Festival of Britain