Originally from the Pleckgate area of Blackburn, the Lucas family first moved to Altham, before settling in the hamlet of Tottleworth.
Eric Lucas was born on the 6th March 1919 and had 4 brothers and Sisters. His father ran the Manor farm for many years, with Eric working the land for him. People tell me that his father had a milk round, and people remember getting milk from him.
When the 2nd World War commenced Eric signed up, and joined the RAF.
Returning from the war, Eric worked for Sergeants coal yard, based on Holt Street, W Sergeant lived with his wife at 95 Hermitage Street, both before and after the war. The coal round was run from the corner shop which was also a confectionery shop run by his wife.
About 1948 Mr Sergeant became ill and Eric ran the coal round for him for a couple of years before eventually buying the business for about £100 (although it is possible that Eric got the business for free).
The coal was ordered from Preston when needed, and delivered to Rishton railway station. The coal would be collected from here and delivered round the town.
Mr Lucas sold the coal round when the area became a smokeless zone at the beginning of the 1970's, orders for coal dropping lower and lower. He bought a milk round from the Milk Marketing Board instead, milk being supplied by them, and ran this until he had a stroke in 1978. Mr Lucas sold the milk round at this time and retired from all employment.
In 1946 Eric married his wife Hilda and settled into number 7 Tottleworth. Mrs Lucas would bring water for the house from the well one of which was on the green outside their house, and electricity still wasn't present when the house was first bought.
Mrs Lucas campaigned for the people of Tottleworth to have electricity supplied to the hamlet for many years as well, being told by the electric company that she could only have the power if everybody in the hamlet agreed to being supplied!!! This they did, and Tottleworth was supplied with the power.
Mr. Lucas died on the 1st September 1991, but his wife remains at the house still in September 2008.
Mrs. Hilda Lucas.