A To Z Index
Street Index
Message Board
Contact Us Donate to Us
Buildings
Censuses
Churches
Cookbook
Community
Conversions
Council
Directories
Downloads
Event Calendar
Farming
Fun & Games
Geology
Genealogy
History
Industry
Leisure
Maps
Occupations
Parks
Pubs & Clubs
Photo Gallery
Rishton Life
Services
Schools
Shops
Sports
Stories
Suburbs
Transport
Tourism
Walks
Waterways
Web Utilities
Video's

Website Information

Whats newWhat's new?

Why not try the "Interactive Map" of Rishton, move your mouse over the map and click on the hotspots to open the page.

Search This Website


powered by FreeFind

Today in Rishton..

Current Weather

Rishton, England, United Kingdom Weather Forecast Provided by Weathercity.com

Latest News Headlines

Currently Unavailable

For more news on Rishton use this link

Website Visitors

 

(See the web stats page in the utilities section of the site for previous visitors)

Since February 2009 -

free counters

Post Codes: BB1 4NW

Streets Off

Chapel Street to the left and right

Fielding Street to the left and right

Right hand side (facing South)

Left Hand Side (facing South)

Derby Street in May 2001.

This street cuts off Hermitage Street and runs South. It severs Chapel Street and Fielding Street before stopping at the fields between Rishton and Church.

The street was where the entrance to the congregational church once was, the length of the church running up Chapel Street.

The name of the street is possibly taken from Lord Derby, rather than the place, but this is unconfirmed.

I am told that this was one of the first streets on the South side of Hermitage Street to be tarmaced. This was sometime after 1934.

A plan was submitted on the 1st June 1939, to the Rishton Urban District Council, for the proposed conversion into 2 dwellings of 3 Derby Street. The plan was disapproved. On the 5th October, the owner tried again. Application was received by the Council, from the owner of 3 Derby Street for permission to carry out structural alterations for the purpose of converting the house from a six bed roomed house to a four roomed house. Permission was granted this time, subject to the alterations being carried out in conformity with the councils byelaws to the satisfaction of the surveyor.

Just about visible in the picture are the Chapel Flats, which have now been demolished in October 2001. Click here to see the pictures.

The houses on this street are all attached to the blocks of terrace houses that run up and down the adjoining streets. Yet there are some which don't have any houses on them.

References

Council Minutes 1939 - 40.

Dave Haworth