Post Codes: BB1 4NR
Right Hand Side (Facing West)
Left Hand Side (Facing West)
|Two blocks of terrace houses||6 semi detached red brick houses|
|one short block of terrace houses|
|one long block of terrace houses|
Fielding Street is on the edge of town; to the left the houses overlook beautiful countryside stretching south as far as the eye can see.
One of the peculiarities of the street are the council houses on the left here. Unlike the pre-fabricated houses on Cliff, Bridge, and Danver Streets, these are built with red brick, probably Accrington NORI. (See later)
Why the street was never completed with the terraced houses I have yet to find out. The terraced houses run both sides of the street, crossing Derby Street midway, and joining Wharf Street at the top, and Butler Street, where the photograph is taken from.
Once the houses have crossed Derby Street, there are only about 6 in the block on the left before they stop. Either the houses were already built in red brick, or the right hand side must have had a fantastic view at one time!
It wasn't until 1935 that tenders and planning consent was granted from the council for the six "non-parlour" 2 bed roomed houses, in pairs. Prices were obtained for both brick and stone at the time (obviously brick was cheaper!).
The houses were started to be built at the latter end of 1935 by Messrs Richard Cragg & Son, Great Harwood, who had submitted the lowest tender for the work to the Council.
3 1/4% was offered by the Council on the 21st May 1936, for the loan which was being obtained for the erection of the dwelling houses in Fielding Street.
On the 20th May 1937 Fielding Street houses were ready for occupation and the rent was set at 8s 3d (48 pence). New clothes rack pulleys were fitted at the rear of the properties by the Council in July.
A couple of weeks later on the 1st June, The first tenants for the new houses on Fielding Street were announced by the council;
number 50, Mr Ormerod formally of 17 Union Road Oswaldtwistle
Number 48, Mr J. C. Clarke formally of 42 Harwood Road (Mr Clark's father was the Manager of the bottom Co-op Grocery Shop for a number of years.)
Number 46, Mrs Yates formally at number 12
Number 44, Mr W. Day formally of 20 Bridge Street
Number 42, Mr S. Briscoe formally of 10 Tottleworth (served with demolition order)
Number 40, Mr J. Jackson formally of Far Holmes cottages (served with a demolition order)
Numbers 44 to 50 inclusive, the rents were set at 9s 6d per week (47 1/2p) why these were different from the other 2 houses is unclear. On the 10th June 1937, Mr. J. Jackson gave back word on the property and Mr. J. Holden of 46 Spring Street was offered 40 Fielding Street instead.
The new houses on Fielding Street were assessed and valued at £15 17s gross and a £10 rateable value was set on the 10th June 1937.
The building of air raid shelters at the beginning of World War 2 saw 2 shelters on the Street, one was adjacent to the pavement directly opposite no. 42, the other one was at the top end of Fielding St just passed the houses and opposite some pens. The first of the shelters had a pitched roof and these were later changed to a flat roof, for what reason I do not know.
A Fish Fryers shop survived on Fielding Street on the corner of Derby Street until around 1941, residing at number 30.
The Council Surveyor was instructed to write to the tenants of Fielding Street and Eachill Gardens on the 14th August 1947, regarding the maintenance of a clean and tidy garden.
A complaint was received about an old motor car being parked on a grass plot at the top of Fielding Street on the 8th October 1953. RESOLVED—That the officials take up the matter with a view to obtaining its removal.
Council Minutes 1935, and 1937.
Frank Watson (via Email)