A To Z Index
Street Index
Message Board
Contact Us Donate to Us
Buildings
Censuses
Churches
Cookbook
Community
Conversions
Council
Directories
Downloads
Event Calendar
Farming
Fun & Games
Geology
Genealogy
History
Industry
Leisure
Maps
Occupations
Parks
Pubs & Clubs
Photo Gallery
Rishton Life
Services
Schools
Shops
Sports
Stories
Suburbs
Transport
Tourism
Walks
Waterways
Web Utilities
Video's

Website Information

Whats newWhat's new?

Why not try the "Interactive Map" of Rishton, move your mouse over the map and click on the hotspots to open the page.

Search This Website


powered by FreeFind

Today in Rishton..

Current Weather

Rishton, England, United Kingdom Weather Forecast Provided by Weathercity.com

Latest News Headlines

Currently Unavailable

For more news on Rishton use this link

Website Visitors

 

(See the web stats page in the utilities section of the site for previous visitors)

Since February 2009 -

free counters

Post Code: BB1 4HS.

Streets Off

Left Hand Side

Right Hand Side

Noble Street

Noble Street

Haworth Street

Haworth Street

Knowles Street

Knowles Street

Eachill Gardens

Saint Charles Road

 

Eachill Gardens

Left Hand Side (from High Street)

Right Hand Side (from High Street)

Eachill Road in July 2001.

Named after the farm that used to be in this part of town, Eachill road runs away from the main town centre junction where it meets High Street and Harwood Road, and travels toward the former site of Rishton Colliery, stopping before it gets there in Eachill Gardens.

Very much part of the older section of town it dissects several streets on it way, including Haworth Street and Knowles Street.

It links with Saint Charles Road where the former Co-op building can be found on its corner.

Eachill Road would at one time have had a shop on every single one of these corners from Grocery to fresh fruit. Not just on the side of the street, but on all corners.

In 1935 the local council resolved that the 15 council properties should be redecorated every 5 years.

On the 9th March 1939, A deputation was formed to approach the Minister of Health consisting of Councillor Thomlinson, the council clerk, and the town surveyor, after the minister disagreed to the execution of the street works in Eachill Road and Saint Charles Road. By April the 6th, Eachill Road street works was to be commenced once the loan sanction was received from the Minister of Health. The works were ordered to be completed on the 7th September 1939. It was the 12th of September 1940 before these works were finished.

The Council clerk reported that electric light had been installed in 29 Eachill Road, on the Assisted Wiring Scheme, while the property was unoccupied, on the 1st June 1939. It was resolved by the Council that the Blackburn Corporation be paid the necessary amount to extinguish all further liability under that scheme, and the rent was set at 11/- per week.

The house was then let to Mr. T. Bibby of Noble Street.

It was resolved on the 8th February 1940, by Rishton Urban District Council, that the excess money borrowed for the Esplanade Gardens scheme of 933 11s 0d should be transferred to the unexercised loan sanctions for Saint Charles Road and Eachill Road Street Works.

The Council was to give notice, on the 28th January 1943, to Mr. J. Kehoe and it had been decided not to accept him as tenant of 13, Eachill Road, Rishton and that he was to vacate the premises within seven days. On the 18th February, Mr. Kehoe was accepted as a resident for number 13.

Notice to terminate the tenancy of No. 27, Eachill Road, Rishton, was reported on the 3rd October 1944. The list of applicants for the vacancy so caused were considered. It was resolved that the tenancy of the house was granted to Mrs. Clarke, of 65, Haworth Street, Rishton and that the next vacancy is granted to Mrs. A. Sanderson, of 56, Haworth Street, Rishton.

On the 21st May, a Proposed change of use of The Smithy, on Eachill Road to a garage for motor Lorries, and provision of footpath crossing for Messrs. Burns and Lord.

On the 12th August 1952, the Police applied to build two houses on Eachill Road to house their staff.

References

Council Minutes 1935, 1952.

Council Minutes 1939 - 40.