A To Z Index
Street Index
Message Board
Contact Us Donate to Us
Buildings
Censuses
Churches
Cookbook
Community
Conversions
Council
Directories
Downloads
Event Calendar
Farming
Fun & Games
Geology
Genealogy
History
Industry
Leisure
Maps
Occupations
Parks
Pubs & Clubs
Photo Gallery
Rishton Life
Services
Schools
Shops
Sports
Stories
Suburbs
Transport
Tourism
Walks
Waterways
Web Utilities
Video's

Website Information

Whats newWhat's new?

Why not try the "Interactive Map" of Rishton, move your mouse over the map and click on the hotspots to open the page.

Search This Website


powered by FreeFind

Today in Rishton..

Current Weather

Rishton, England, United Kingdom Weather Forecast Provided by Weathercity.com

Latest News Headlines

Currently Unavailable

For more news on Rishton use this link

Website Visitors

 

(See the web stats page in the utilities section of the site for previous visitors)

Since February 2009 -

free counters

Post Code: BB1 4HO.

Saint Charles Road

Streets Off

Left Hand Side (from Eachill Road)

Right Hand Side (from Eachill Road)

Left Hand Side (from Eachill Road)

Right Hand Side (from Eachill Road)

Named after the Church which runs down half its street length, it joins up with Eachill Road at the bottom of the street, after starting from Station Road.

Halfway down the street, Maple Street cuts across the bottom of the school to join up with Knowles Street.

All the houses on the street are constructed out of red brick. The only exception to this is the house at the corner with Station road, which is part of the block of houses that run down toward the railway station.

Original planning permission was sought in 1925 from the Rishton Urban District Council to build 10 houses on this street. This was the block of red brick terrace houses seen in the picture on the right hand side.

In 1935, planning permission was granted for a block of 11 houses to be built by T. Robinson & Co.

1937 saw the road being made good, and the junction to Station road improved. The work was still not completed in 1939 though. On the 9th March 1939, A deputation was formed to approach the Minister of Health consisting of Councillor Thomlinson, the council clerk, and the town surveyor, after the minister disagreed to the execution of the street works in Eachill Road and Saint Charles Road. The junction with Station Road was altered again during the 1990's, being firstly narrowed, then a speed hump being put in on the junction to slow traffic down. The junction now twists slightly towards the direction of High Street.

Eachill Road street works was to be commenced once the loan sanction was received from the Minister of Health on the 6th April of the same year, but Saint Charles Road was not included in this loan. The work was finally ordered to be completed in September 1939.

The Post Office submitted an application to lay underground cables on Saint Charles Road, which was approved by the Council on the 18th May 1939.

It was resolved on the 8th February 1940, by Rishton Urban District Council, that the excess money borrowed for the Esplanade Gardens scheme of 933 11s 0d should be transferred to the unexercised loan sanctions for Saint Charles Road and Eachill Road Street Works.

The question of erecting a name plate was left in abeyance on the 11th June 1953, until the next estimates were considered.

References

Council Minutes.