A To Z Index
Street Index
Message Board
Contact Us Donate to Us
Buildings
Censuses
Churches
Cookbook
Community
Conversions
Council
Directories
Downloads
Event Calendar
Farming
Fun & Games
Geology
Genealogy
History
Industry
Leisure
Maps
Occupations
Parks
Pubs & Clubs
Photo Gallery
Rishton Life
Services
Schools
Shops
Sports
Stories
Suburbs
Transport
Tourism
Walks
Waterways
Web Utilities
Video's

Website Information

Whats newWhat's new?

Why not try the "Interactive Map" of Rishton, move your mouse over the map and click on the hotspots to open the page.

Search This Website


powered by FreeFind

Today in Rishton..

Current Weather

Rishton, England, United Kingdom Weather Forecast Provided by Weathercity.com

Latest News Headlines

Currently Unavailable

For more news on Rishton use this link

Website Visitors

 

(See the web stats page in the utilities section of the site for previous visitors)

Since February 2009 -

free counters

Post Codes

 

Odds

Evens

3 - 21 BB1 4EF 4 - 48 BB1 4EF
27 - 71 BB1 4EE 50 120 BB1 4EE
Cranbourne Terrace

The Street consists of 9 blocks of stone built terrace houses, 7 of them are named, There are also 1 block of old peoples bungalows, 1 Conservative Club,  1 Car Park, 1 Secondary Modern School, 1 Doctors Surgery (former), named SHERWOOD, 4 blocks of semi detached council houses, 1 crescent consisting of 8 blocks of semi detached council houses, and 3 blocks of semi detached council houses. The Street is made up thus;

Right Hand Side

Left Hand Side

Streets Off

Left Hand Sides (facing North towards Great Harwood)

Right Hand Side (Facing North towards Great Harwood)

Cliffe Street in 2001

Cliff Street derives it name from the former Dunkenhalgh Brick making works which were based on the land between Cliff Street and Spring Street, through to High Street and Bridge Street. Once the land was cut away for the clay, leaving a cliff face. Further down the road towards Bridge Street was the area known as the Sands. This was named because the land here was very sandy and also used by the brick company. The name is that of a medieval field.

Originally spelt with an "E" on the end of cliff, there is a possibility that it was lost due to typing errors when schooling wasn't as good as it is today.

Cliff Street runs from the High Street all the way to the canal. Several smaller streets run across the street forming an intricate part of the grid street system as laid down by Captain Petre of the Dunkenhalgh estate. At the end of the street is the entrance to Gooseybutts allotment area.

We start at High Street were the first street to cross it is School Street. The old folks bungalows are between School Street and Brook Street, built on previously open space, that was once part of the council yard. Then we come to numbers 7 to 25.

Maple Place

This block of houses are named Cranbourne Terrace. They run the full length between the two streets – Brook Street and Clifton Street.

These houses were built in 1894, some of the first houses to be built on Cliff Street.

Maple Place here sits between the Conservative Club, which is on the corner of Cliff Street and Clifton Street, and Cliffield Place. The block of houses themselves start on the corner of Lord Street and run to the junction of Upper Danvers Street, which leads to the entrance of York Mill. They are numbered from 27 through to 41. The back of the houses back onto York Mill.

On the 11th June 1953, An advertising sign was erected without consent of the Council by Messrs. Chiswick Products, Ltd., London, on gable end of 27, Cliff Street.

Cliffield Place in May 2001

The houses from 43 to 57 are known as Cliffield Place. These were built in 1908, as clearly seen on the name stone set in the middle of the block. Again this block of terrace houses backs onto the York Mill. This makes a total of 15 houses which back onto the mill, giving you some idea of the size of the mill building.

The last block of houses on this side of Cliff Street is Industrial Terrace. Numbered from 59 to 71, these houses are set between Livesey Street and Stourton Street. This block of house were built in 1900, as you can see from the name stone here.

On the corner of the block at its junction with Stourton Street is Cliff Street Co-op, built onto the block in 1910.

Industrial Terrace

The rest of this side of the street is taken up with playing fields which are part of Norden High School. Norden was opened in 1942, and this area is relatively new by comparison to the rest of the town.

Right at the very end of Cliff street is the entrance to the Gooseybutts Allotments. These were moved to this location in 1947, when the Sands estate was built. For here the only way forward for Cliff Street is into the canal.

Working back towards the high street on the opposite site of the street is firstly the junction with Bridge Street. The area is part of Rishtons Council estate which were originally built as prefab houses in 1947. There are two houses before reaching Bridge Street, then the rest of the estate is on the other side.

The Sands estate can be found by following this link. The estate covers the area from Bridge Street to Danvers Street on Cliff Street.

York Place

Once Danver street has been crossed, Opposite Industrial Terrace and Cliffield Terrace, is York Place. These houses are numbered from 50 to 64.

The block of houses go from Danvers Street to Lord Street.

Carrying on down the street we come to Highfield Terrace. This sits directly opposite the Conservative Club, and has the former Doctors surgery, Sherwood, on the end of it. Sherwood is a red brick building rather than stone, and was made redundant when Doctor Bolton retired from the surgery. The new health centre in the middle of town was built to replace this.

Sherwood is used as a convalescing home for the elderly in 2004.

Highfield Terrace

On previous blocks of the Terraces on Cliff Street the first and last house has been built with a bay window, but on this block all the houses have bay windows. The houses here are numbered from 40 to 48.

Highfield Road goes from Lord Street to Clifton Street.

The block is called Highfield Terrace, and was built in 1902.

From Clifton Street to Brook Street lies numbers 46 to 20. Again these are garden fronted houses, but we are now back to just the two end houses on the block having extended bay windows.

TThese houses are named Oddfellows Terrace and were built in 1895.

Oddfellows Terrace

Numbers 6 to 18 are called Weavers Union Row.

These are the only block of houses without a garden at the front, anywhere on Cliff Street.

There is no name plaque on the block of houses, I can only assume that the houses are called this because number 6 was once the weavers union offices.

Number 4 Cliff Street was demolished to make way for a car park and at one time public toilets. The car park is still there, but the toilets were sadly demolished.

In 1936 the street lamps were changed on Cliff Street, from single mantle burners to 3 mantle reflector type.

Car Park

During September 1937, The council surveyor was instructed to obtain costs of replacing the setts pavements between Brook Street and Clifton Street on Cliff Street. The estimated costs of this work was 250 which was accepted by the council, and the surveyor was instructed to carry out the work.

On the 8th January 1945, arrangements were made by Rishton Urban District Council for all night lighting in Spring Street, Cliff Street and Station Road.

On the 12th June 1947, Attention was drawn to flooding at certain properties at High Street, Cliff Street and Spring Street on the occasion of a recent abnormal storm, and the officials of the Council were instructed to investigate the cause and give a full report to a subsequent meeting.

On the 27th September 2001, Rishton Area Council approved a grant of 3,750 to contribute to a scheme to improve the access at 78 to 104 Cliff Street, by widening the road. They also approved a proposal for traffic calming measures in the spring Street/Cliff Street area, which were laid down as traffic humps shortly after.

It was reported that the traffic calming measures would be completed by the 9th July 2003.

References

Urban District Council Minutes.

Area Council Minutes