|3 -93 BB1 4DH||14 - 84 BB1 4DJ|
|95 - 125 BB1 4EA||86 - 120 BB1 4DZ|
|Norden View BB1 4EB|
Harwood Road consists of 12 stone terrace blocks, 10 of these have names and the date of construction on them.
Left hand side towards Great Harwood
Right hand side travelling towards Great Harwood.
|no date||Norden Flats|
|St Paul's Terrace 1886||Westwood Garage|
|Clifton terrace 1892||no date|
|Albert Terrace 1893||St Peters 1890|
|Alma Terrace 1894||Cliff Terrace 1887|
|Duke of Cambridge Place 1895||Prospect Cottages 1896|
|Norden Terrace 1901||Rydal Mount 1903|
Norden View at the end of Harwood Road consists of semi detached or bungalows apart from the last house on the left hand side, which is a small terrace, built of older stone. 2 are double sided and the inner superior layout is a gentleman’s house, which belong to George Clarke the brickmaker. His factory was directly behind this house.
This was, and still is, the main road from Blackburn to Great Harwood, which took over from Hill Top Lane from Little Harwood and the Sunnybower area.
Streets off Harwood Road
Left Hand Side
St Peters Street leading to Church Street
St Paul's Road is a Cul De Sac
Howard Street is a Cul De Sac (Entrance to Farm)
Norfolk Street is a Cul De Sac
Hartington Street is a Cul De Sac (Entrance to Recreation Ground)
Arundel Street is a Cul De Sac (Entrance to School)
Daniel Street is a Cul De Sac (Entrance to Allotments)
Right Hand Side
York Street is a Cul de sac (Entrance to rear of York Mill)
One of two Harwood Roads in Rishton, the other can be found by clicking here.
It should be pointed out that most of the terraced block of houses on Harwood Road were built by Noble, the stonemason.
Numbers 1 to 7 Harwood Road are an unnamed block of terrace houses, and start behind the West End Garage, continuing to the junction of Saints Peters Street.
Numbers 9 to 23 are known as Saint Paul’s Terrace, and were built in 1886.
This is the second block of houses on Harwood Road, there is no date stone on the first block, but one can assume that it was built prior to 1886.
Toilets once stood on the corner where the road joins the High Street. The block of houses are garden fronted and sit between Saint Peters Street and Saint Paul's Road.
Clifton Terrace follows Saint Paul’s Terrace on Harwood road. This block sits between Saint Paul's Road and goes round the bend in the road until it terminates at Howard Street.
Clifton Terrace are numbered from 25 to 45, and like most towns follows the rule that the house numbers start in the middle of the town and go higher towards the edge of town.
Clifton terrace was built in 1892, some six years after its neighbouring property. I am not sure if the bend in the block of houses was built at the same time, or if the houses round the bend are part of the block. Perhaps someone can let me know? Clifton Terrace faces Clifton Street, named after Lord Clifton.
Albert Terrace was built in 1893, and is numbered from number 47 to 61. These are directly after the bend in Harwood road and are at the start of a gently incline heading towards Norden.
Albert terrace is between Howard Street and Norfolk Street on Harwood Road.
Norfolk Street has the lower, smaller entrance to Harwood Road Recreation Ground, and Albert terrace over looks the Recreation ground from their back windows.
Alma Terrace comes next, spanning from Norfolk Street to Hartington Street, which is the main entrance to Harwood Road recreation ground. The Recreation ground can also be accessed from Norfolk Street as well, as mentioned above.
Like Albert Terrace, Alma Terrace also overlooks the Recreation ground from their back windows.
Alma Terrace is numbered from number 63 to number 77 Harwood Road, and was built in 1894.
All of this side of Harwood road were built in consecutive years, with the exception of the junction to High Street.
Numbers 79 to 93 Harwood Road are called The Duke of Cambridge Place, and was built in 1893.
This block of houses is sandwiched between Hartington Street, and Arundel Street, and also overlooks the Recreation ground at the rear.
The road at the front of the houses has changed slightly in the late 1990's with the introduction of traffic calming measures being applied to Harwood Road (more later). In particular, the bus stop was moved, and the pavement extended out into the road, narrowing the width of the road. When buses stop here no traffic can pass.
The last block of terraced houses on Harwood Road running on the odd numbered side is Norden Terrace, built in 1901.
Built between Arundel Street and Daniell Street, the block of houses are numbered from 95 to 109.
The latter part of the block faces Stourton Street and Norden School. At the rear of these houses is Saint Peters and Saint Paul's Schools.
Once past Norden View, and Daniell Street, the house change to bungalows, running down the hill towards the canal, the road becomes Norden.
As mentioned at the top of this page, these are mainly bungalows, with the original Norden cottages at the bottom of the hill near to the canal.
So Far we have only looked at the houses on the left hand side of the road, the odd numbers, now we will look at the right hand side, the even numbers, and travel back along the road to High Street.
Numbers 86 to 100 are called Rydal Mount. Rydal Mount is known to be the Cumbrian home of William Wordsworth, the famous poet from the Lake District, although it isn't known if the block of houses are named after his home.
Rydal Mount was built in 1903. It becomes apparent at this point that the blocks of terrace houses were built opposite each other, extending Harwood Road on both sides at roughly the same time. Rydal Mount was the last black of terrace houses to be built on Harwood Road, and was some 7 years after the previous block rather than the normal one year that it seems to have taken for the rest of Harwood Road.
Rydal Mount sits between Stourton Street and Livesey Street on Harwood Road.
The Houses numbered 84 to 70 are known as Prospect Cottages. There is an area in London known as Prospect Cottages, but data is uncertain on this being the same Prospect Cottages.
Built in 1896 the block is between Livesey Street and York Street. York Street is of course a cul de sac, leading no further than the back alley which runs behind the houses, and leads to the rear of York Mill.
Cliff Terrace comes next, From York street to Lord Street and numbered from 50 to 66.
Cliff Terrace is spelt without the "E" that Cliffe Street used to carry even though the block of houses were built in 1896.
Following Cliff Terrace is Saint Peters Terrace. Built in 1890, the houses stand between Lord Street and Clifton Street and are numbered 28 to 42.
Number 28 is tucked round the corner of the end of the block and was once the Doctors Surgery run by Dr. Mitchell.
The final block of houses from Clifton Street to Brook Street and I have lost the picture!
In April 1936, The local Surveyor fitted new signs to the approach of High Street after receiving instructions from the County Surveyor. He had erected a new ”Halt at Major Road Ahead“ sign in Harwood Road, to replace the existing “Slow—Major Road Ahead” sign.
A communication had been received from the County Surveyor on the 14th March 1946, asking for Schemes of road improvement in this district which should be given priority. The following schemes were recommended for inclusion: The re-alignment of the Railway Bridge at Norden to remove the acute corner and the junction of Harwood Road and High Street.
On the 14th August 1947, The Council Surveyor reported that the Blackburn Corporation Electricity Undertaking had commenced work on the Harwood Road lighting scheme, and that the preparatory work would not be completed before 1st September.
In 1994 the Hyndburn Borough Council announced plans to place traffic calming measures on Harwood Road.
These plans were duly implemented, but not all the residents agreed with them.
The improvements made were extensions to the pavements, particularly at junctions with bollards on them to allow easy crossing of the road. No road humps were placed on this busy stretch of road to great Harwood.
This was only the start of traffic calming in Rishton, and over the next 8 years to 2003, roads humps and other measures were to be placed in virtually every side street, and road in Rishton.
Some drivers were unable to cope with traffic-calming after some two years had elapsed since the traffic-calming scheme was brought into operation. One resident, WILLIAM MOORE, from Harwood Road, wrote to the local newspaper to say this;
We have narrower roads, white-painted circles at junctions, parking areas, cycle tracks, numerous white lines and small islands. Like many other motorists, I find it impossible to negotiate most of the painted islands and, as for the white lines, I find myself having to ignore them for a variety of reasons (goodness knows how H. G. V. drivers cope).
In Harwood Road seeing is believing - there are brakes screeching, horns blasting, excessive speeding and many near-misses. Buses at the junction of Stourton Street and Harwood Road stand stationary in the centre of the carriageway, collecting passengers while traffic builds up for hundreds of yards behind. The cycle track is positioned between lines of parked cars and the actual carriageway. Motorists are driving on and parking their vehicles on the pavement because the carriageway is too narrow.
What concerned him was the lack of comment from the police, AA, R. A. C. and other motoring organisations. Surely, road safety officers cannot have agreed with some of these measures. Can someone explain what offences are committed under the following circumstances:
- Failing to negotiate these coloured circles, especially where it is impossible to do otherwise?
- Driving over the white lines or parking on them?
- Driving and parking on the pavements?
- Parking on the cycle tracks?
One wonders if Mr. Moore ever got his answers!
Residents see red over road plan.
Angry Rishton residents raised a 300-name petition against plans to erect bus shelters and put road markings outside residential properties in February 2000. Householders in Harwood Road said the proposals would reduce parking in an already congested area and that house prices would plunge if shelters were built directly outside houses.
Campaigners put posters in windows and wrote to Lancashire County Council (L. C. C.) voicing their fears.
L. C. C. was planning to move bus stops in Harwood Road, as part of its quality bus route initiative - a drive by county transport chiefs to improve services. Petition organiser Peter Crisp, 32, of Harwood Road, said: "No one wants street furniture outside their door especially if they are trying to sell their home because it will devalue the property. The county council wants to remove two bus stops which are outside non-residential property and put them outside people's houses. It also wants to put 13-metre red boxes along the road which will mean no one can park or load there. That is going to restrict parking in an already congested area. It is a complete nightmare and these plans are just not acceptable.
A spokesman for Lancashire County Council said no final decision has been made about the siting of bus stops and road markings.
The proposed road markings and bus stops went ahead.
Lancashire Evening Telegraph, 11th February 2000, 11th August 1997.
Rishton Street Names by E. Furber. Published October 1995.