Livesey Street, Rishton.

Website Information

What's New?

Why not try the "Interactive Map" of Rishton, move your mouse over the map and click on the hotspots to open the page.

Search This Website


Today in Rishton..

Current Weather

Currently Unavailable

Latest News Headlines

Currently Unavailable

For more news on Rishton use this link

Website Visitors

(See the web stats page in the utilities section of the site for previous visitors)

Since February 2009 -

free counters

Post Code(s):

BB1 4DY Numbers: 32 - 84
Added to PAF Database: January 1980
BB1 4LS Numbers: 1 - 11 4 - 14
Added to PAF Database: January 1980
BB1 4DX Numbers: York Mill
Added to PAF Database: August 1993
Coronation Terrace
Coronation Terrace on Livesey Street in May 2001.
Date stone for Coronation Terrace built in 1911.

Livesey Street consists of one long upper terrace named Coronation terrace, built in 1911, two short blocks of terraces, Wellington and Oak terrace, built in 1895, with a total of 54 houses.

Numbers 32 to 82 are called Coronation Terrace, this is the block of houses which runs up to Harwood Road and is facing York Mill which continues up the entire length of this street. Coronation Terrace is pictured on the left.

Facing the houses on Livesey is a long wall in Accrington brick, and York mill that covered the lodge area.

The block of houses was built in 1911 as can be seen from the date stone, and situated in the middle of the terraced houses.

It was named Coronation Terrace because this was the year that King George was crowned â€" 1911.

Livesey Street
Livesey Street Upper running to Harwood Road.

Livesey Street is split in two parts. The upper part runs from Cliff Street to Harwood Road, while the lower part runs from Spring Street into a Cul De Sac. Although both parts are in line with each other, the street never met in the middle section, unlike Lord Street or any of the other surrounding Streets.

In-between the two sections are the prefab council houses that were built shortly after the war, in 1948.

These houses should have carried the door numbers 16 to 30 inclusive, for the odd numbers, and anything upwards of 11 for the odd numbered houses.

Oak Terrace
Oak Terrace on Livesey Street Lower.
Date stone for Oak Terrace.

On the lower part of the street that runs off Spring Street can be found numbers 1 to 11, which are known as Oak Terrace, and numbers 4 to 14 which are called Wellington Terrace.

Oak Terrace was built in 1895, and little remains of the date stone found in the centre of the block of houses. There are only 6 houses on the block, and in reality they were probably closer to the Britannia mill for the workers than they were to York mill.

Directly across from this block of houses stands Wellington Terrace. Wellington mill was conveniently placed at the end of Spring Street little more than 20 yards away.

Wellington Terrace
Wellington Terrace on Livesey Street Lower.
Date stone for Wellington Terrace.

Again with only 6 houses on it making 12 houses on this section of the street in total, it makes for a lovely little Cul de sac.

Wellington Terrace was constructed during 1895, the same time as Oak terrace across the road. One can only assume that the houses were going to meet up with upper Livesey Street.

Wellington Terrace finishes at number 14 that leaves numbers 16 to 30 inclusive nowhere in site!

As can be seen from the final photo below, the lower part of the street backs onto the prefab houses of the council estate. These form parts of Denver Street, Cliff Street, and Bridge Street.

Number 2 Livesey Street is situated in the gable end of the house on Spring Street.

It was 16 years between the building of the lower and the upper parts of the street. The land in between may have been left because of the marshes that were known as Goosebutts.

Over the years building technology improved, and after the war the decision was taken to build on them.

The Livesey family originated from the Livesey area of Blackburn (Livesey hall), but there is no record of how they branched out into Rishton.

There was a George Livesey residing at Sidebight (Sidebeet) in 1539. He was a man of local prominence, being a Governor of Blackburn Grammar School in 1592.

There was another George later, listed as a Yeoman. His name is recorded in the Kings subsidy of 1611, also a brother Thomas was named.

Lower Livesey
Lower Livesey Street in May 2001.

Thomas Livesey had a daughter Margaret who married Thomas Walmsley of Showley, in 1536, and produced a son who became famous as Judge Walmsley, and who eventually bought the Dunkenhalgh estate from Thomas Talbot. Margaret was named as A Rishton heiress of Hacking, near the junction of Calder and Ribble.

The Liveseys had land in Cunliffe, Dutton, Ribchester, Clitheroe and many other places. The next year their 1st son was born, and also named Thomas. During 1537, Sir Thomas Walmsley was born. It was he that was the famous Judge of Common Pleas, and he was Knighted in 1603 by James I. His likeness is commemorated on an inn sign at Whalley.

There were numerous Liveseys who occupied Side Beet.

Side Bight was one of the five Saxon settlements that became the town of Rishton.

Livesey Street is on two sections of land separated by the area formally known as the Sands. When the council estate was built in 1948, they didn’t for some reason, connect up Stourton or Livesey Street, but they did connect Bridge and Danvers Streets.


Rishton Street Names by E. Furber. Published October 1995.