Post Code: BB1 4LJ.
The Street is named after 3 schools which were on its length. These were Saint Peters and Paul's, Harwood road School, and The Primitive Methodists.
Blocked from Harwood Road by the rear of Westwood Garage, it once had the schools back entrance. There are one set of terraced houses and the bungalows.
The Primitive Methodists church and School was on this section of Street. This closed with the opening of Norden in 1940 and became the Library. From here down the rest of the mid section were the former co-op buildings.
There is one block of terrace house on this section.
Contains the Infant School built 1883? Now local furniture warehouse. Would have made an ideal community centre instead of Co-op Clog and shoe shop.
There is a terrace block of 2 houses on one side, and a small block of terraced houses after the school building.
A purpose built liberal club stood on the corner of Commercial Street, this became the Library till subsidence caused the need for demolition and the open sited corner we have today.
The picture here shows the street at its upper end with the old peoples bungalows off to the right.
Here the street crosses Cliff Street, and continues down a gentle slope.
The middle section of the street, between Cliff Street and Commercial Street, used to house the Co op buildings, and more recently the original Library building. Although both have long been demolished the area is now used as a car park for town centre shopping.
At the bottom of the street is the Elderly Centre.
To get to the last section of the street you must cross Commercial Street.
The street now dips sharply on its run down to Spring Street
Opposite the school was the Liberal club, which has now been demolished, and on the corner of Spring Street the last couple of houses were demolished and a car park built.
Rishton Street Names by E. Furber. Published October 1995.