This line of trees runs across the top of
Close Brow, following the
road that roads up the hill known as
Wilpshire Road. They are also
known as the Landmark Trees, this was due to the soldiers returning home
from war. They would travel home on the train, and when they could see the
line of tops on the hilltop, they knew they were nearly
The trees on the right of the picture were
originally planted in 1819, and were commonly shown on OS maps as 'Top O'
Many of the original trees died but were
replaced as part of the Coronation Celebrations of King George VI in 1937.
This modern photo taken in December 2000
Tottleworth Road shows quite clearly the trees at Top O’ th’ Heights.
In November 2003 it was proposed by the
Rishton Prospects Panel, that the trees were to be spruced and replaced
were necessary. The total area consists of 1.7 hectares, and 2,000 trees
were to be used in the replacement.
Work was to be completed in early January,
with donations coming from the forestry commission, and the organising
being carried out by the
The plans were delayed though by the
Dunkenhalgh Estate Managers, Ingham and Yorke, when specific terms and
conditions were laid down by the land user, Dunscar Farm, and the Estate,
for compensation of loss of land, amongst other things!!! The entire
project was suspended until matters were resolved.