Post Code: BB1 4BZ.
Built between 1956 and 1959, Westwood Avenue was built in what appears to be stages. Some of the houses were built years after the others, depending on where the house was.
The builder was Tom Wolstenholme who lived in number 6, his brother John lived in number 10. The plasterer was Brian Mullin. When John left the building trade he took over the Westwood garage that was situated on the site of the former Saint Peters & Paul’s school on Harwood Road.
Westwood Avenue itself is a turning off Church Street, and is overshadowed by the church as it runs directly behind it. At the far end, heading towards Blackburn, it does a 90-degree turn and goes back onto Blackburn Road.
This photo shows what was behind Westwood Avenue before Barrett's built their new homes there in the name of Ullswater Close.
Mrs Winters, resident of Westwood Avenue