Lamps and Street Lights

Website Information

What's New?

Why not try the "Interactive Map" of Rishton, move your mouse over the map and click on the hotspots to open the page.

Search This Website


Today in Rishton..

Current Weather

Currently Unavailable

Latest News Headlines

Currently Unavailable

For more news on Rishton use this link

Website Visitors

(See the web stats page in the utilities section of the site for previous visitors)

Since February 2009 -

free counters

Gas lamps were to be fixed on both sides of Lee Lane on the 2nd September 1937, the type of lamp being deferred until a report was received regarding a new type of lamp currently being experimented upon.

During the past month progress had been made in all directions, it was reported on the 8th May 1947. Quotations had been received from the Blackburn Corporation Electricity Department tor alternative types of lighting for the Sands Estate. Resolvedâ€"That the estimate of £251 0s. 0d. was accepted for the erection of electric lamps utilising the standards removed from Blackburn Road and for fluorescent lamps to be installed.

A the same time on Harwood Road, A quotation was submitted from the Blackburn Corporation Electricity Department, amounting to £330 0s. 0d., for the complete erection of 19 Mercury Vapour lamps in Harwood Road. The standards, fittings, etc., were to be supplied by this Council, together with a limited amount of unskilled labour. Resolvedâ€"That the quotation be accepted.

The receipt of Circular No. 613 on the 14th August 1947 from the Ministry of Transport was reported and it was Resolved by the Council that the lighting of Class A. Roads be fully maintained and extinguished at 11 p.m., and that of the side streets be reduced by half. It was Resolved that the Surveyor was instructed to commence street lighting on 1st September, 1947. Harwood Road Street Lighting, The Surveyor also reported that the Blackburn Corporation Electricity Undertaking had commenced work on this scheme and that the preparatory work would not be completed before 1st September.

In view of the large number of pedestrians using Spring Street, it was Resolved on the 13th November 1947, That the Council Surveyor was instructed to install 100% lighting up to 11 p.m., with three lamps remaining illuminated all night. The Surveyor was further instructed to have three lamps illuminated all night at certain points on Blackburn Road and High Street to act as pilot lights.

On the 24th May 1951, Gas Lamps were removed and the spigots cleaned off and painted which were found to be in not bad condition, and the manufacturers were instructed to proceed with the making of the brackets and switch-boxes for new electricity lighting. The Gas Board and the Electricity Board were instructed to deal with the old and new services. The old lanterns and time clocks were offered for sale to the Great Harwood U.D.C., and they were  asked if they would undertake the maintenance of the gas lamps which remained on Lee Lane and Tottleworth on a time and material basis. Similarly, the Clayton-le-Moors U.D.C. were asked to carry out the maintenance of the four lamps in Hermitage Street.

The gas services to the columns were being cut off from the 12th July 1951, and the laying of electrical services was due to commence. The manufacture of the brackets and lanterns was proceeding. The Clerk reported that the Great Harwood U. D. C, were prepared to maintain the gas street lamps on Lee Lane and Tottleworth on a labour and materials basis plus 20 per cent. establishment charge. A letter of thanks was forwarded to the Great Harwood U. D. C, for their offer. It was also reported that the Great Harwood U. D. C, had purchased all the old gas street lighting lanterns and time-clocks at an agreed cost of £300.

By the 16th August 1951, about 75 per cent of the gas services had been disconnected and 50 fuse boxes had been received from the manufacturer and fitted.

The Council Clerk submitted a report from the police concerning damage to a street lamp in Hermitage Street through contact by a Ribble bus on the 12th July 1951, and alleged to be caused by the steep camber of the road at this point.

On the 11th October 1951, Work was proceeding satisfactorily by all the various contractor and the majority of the lamps were lit at night. Lamp Columnsâ€"Bridge Street to Tottleworth, It was decided to leave six columns in position for the time being.

The Surveyor was instructed to arrange for the all-night lighting of two of the lamps on the 10th January 1952.

Instructions were issued to the N. W. Electricity Board to proceed with the conversion from 250-watt to 400 watt lamps after obtaining the result of a test of the lamps on the 17th April 1952. The Clerk reported that he had requested permission from the Ministry of Transport, under the Defence Regulations, to proceed with this work, and this was awaited.

Instructions were given for the lighting to be discontinued throughout the district from the 22nd May 1952, except for the pilot lights on the Main Road. It was Resolved by the Council, that arrangements were made for lighting to recommence by August 16th.

A favourable report on the test of a lantern having been received from the N. W. Electricity Board on the 10th July 1952, and six demonstration lanterns having been inspected in commission on the main road, it was decided, that a definite order be placed with Messrs. British Thomson-Houston Co., Ltd. for the conversion of the remainder of the lights on Blackburn Road and Harwood Road to 400-watt Mercury Vapour with new lanterns, on terms already agreed and enumerated in correspondence with the Surveyor.

On the 15th January 1953, it was reported that The Council Clerk submitted a letter from the N. W. Gas Board stating that as from 1st February next, the price of gas for public lighting will be increased by 3/4d. per therm from 11 1/2d. to 12 ¼ d., and The Clerk submitted a letter from the County Council stating that in view of all the circumstances the County Highways Committee have decided, for the time being, not to make any grants under Section 126 of the Local Government Act, 1948. The Surveyor was requested to seek the co-operation of the local police in notifying him of lamps which are observed to be unlighted at night.

The Class B Street lamps in the town were estimated for repainting at a cost of £26 15s 0d on the 21st May 1953.

Another quotation was submitted on the same day, from the N.W. Electricity Board for 12s. 0d. per lamp for maintenance and current for any lamps lit from dusk to 11-30 p.m. in side streets, plus the cost of lamp replacements. It was Resolvedâ€"That the Buildings and Highways Sub-Committee inspect the lamps proposed to be lit and report back.

The Council Clerk reported that a cheque for £315 had been received from Messrs. British Thomson-Houston, Ltd., on the 12th March 1953, in respect of the old lanterns and equipment which had been rendered redundant.

The Council Sub-Committee reported on their consideration of a modified scheme for lighting the side streets during the summer on the 11th June 1953, and it was Resolvedâ€"That 33 lamps (200-watt tungsten) should be lighted from 1st July from dusk to 11-30 p.m. and that eight additional lamps also be lighted during the same period. It was reported that the N.W. Electricity Board gave a very approximate estimate of cost amounting to 1s. 0d. per lamp per week.

On the 10th December 1953, Attention was drawn to the necessity for an early morning light at Meadowhead. It was Resolved â€"That the Surveyor be requested to arrange for this.


Council Minutes 1953 - 54