To read about the relevant service to Rishton, click on the link below.
|Sewage Works||Gas Supply|
|Electricity Supply||Police Station|
|Postal Services and Post Office||Post Codes|
|Mortuary||Lamps and Street Lights|
The township did not have its own facilities and the service was supplied by the Accrington Gas and Water Company that had works and reservoirs in Great Harwood.
The company was formed in 1894 upon being bought by the Accrington Council. Local offices were in Rishton, as well as Great Harwood, Church and Clayton-Le-Moors.
There were 8 members on the board of the company, as well as two more from each urban district council, including Rishton
During the 1930's the company had 2,000 lamps, and were worth £1,295,844. They sold approximately 512,000,000 cubic feet of gas per annum.
On October the 5th 1939, Representation was made to the County Council, from the Rishton Urban District Council, for the appointment of a Gas Identification Officer for the Urban District of Rishton, as there was a qualified man resident who volunteered for the work. The clerk reported that Great Harwood Urban District Council had stated that they had no one suitable to act as Gas Identification Officer on the 12th October 1939. It was resolved that Mr. J. Pickup of "Lynwood", Blackburn Road, should be recommended for the post for the three urban districts of Clayton Le Moors, Rishton, and great Harwood.
The Council granted permission to the County Borough of Blackburn on the 10th July 1947, to lay a trunk gas main along Whitebirk Drive.
The first electric cable was laid through the town in 1922, and was owned by the Blackburn Corporation Electricity Undertaking. This was just a few years after the power station went into production.
During 1937 the company applied for several new cables to be laid within the town, these were between Church View and Devonshire Road on Blackburn Road, under the pavement, and also along the grass verge to the power station at Whitebirk to Whitebirk junction. At the same time, Complains were received of variations of lighting intensity in properties along Blackburn Road. The surveyor was to contact the Blackburn Corporation Electricity Undertaking.
A proposal was served to increase the assessment of the land, overhead lines, pylons, underground cables, structures, transformers, switches, meters, indicators and appurtenances, occupied by and the property of the Central Electricity Board from a Rateable Value of £2,244 to a Rateable Value £2,729, from the 1st April 1943, by the Rishton Urban District Council on the 10th August 1944.
The Council Surveyor read correspondence from the Blackburn Electricity Undertaking and from Accrington District Gas and Water Board concerning the re-establishment of street lighting on the 17th August 1944. The Surveyor also reported on the steps being taken to commence modified lighting on the increased standards permitted by the Ministry of Home Security on Saturday or Sunday next. It was Resolved - That the Surveyor's action in connection with the installation of modified lighting be approved, and that the Surveyor question the charge for reconditioning the electric lamps in view of the £20 per annum maintenance charge which has been paid by the Council.
On the 9th November 1944, the attention of the Engineer and Manager of the Blackburn Electricity Undertaking was drawn to the Council's dissatisfaction with the intensity of the electric lighting.
Correspondence was submitted from the Ministry of Fuel and Power regarding the reduction of lighting to conserve fuel on the 9th August 1945. It was Resolved by the council, That the Blackburn Corporation be asked to substitute 200 watt lamps for the present 500 watt lamps in the district and that permission be sought to retain all night lamps at dangerous corners.
The North West Electric Board proposed two 33, 000-volt overhead lines from Clayton-le-Moors to Great Harwood passing over Rishton north-east of the Sewage Works at Fiddlers Wood for the North-Western Electricity Board on the 22nd June 1952. This plan was forwarded by the Divisional Planning Officer in order that the Council may express its views.
On the 11th June 1953, Plans were submitted for a proposed overhead electricity supply line to Higher Whitebirk Farm and Whitebirk Moss Farm for the N.W. Electricity Board.
Overhead electricity lines were applied for on the 13th August 1953, from Cut Lane to Cut Farm, for N.W. Electricity Board, and also from near Victoria Mill via Tottleworth to Windy Bank Farm, Great Harwood.
Industrial Rishton Kathleen Broderick.
Council Minutes 1953 - 54
Barrett's Directory 1935 for Blackburn.