First found in Saxon times the waterfall was originally used by a mill wheel located on the West side of the river. The mill was three stories high with an overshot wheel, where oats were ground.
This was one of the first industrial sites in Rishton, being home to the Wheat Mill.
Water was run for the wheel to a millpond.
This was not the paper mill lodge, which sits above Holt, but the mill pond would have been fed by the same stream.
A sluice gate was used to run the wheel. This was opened as and when the water was required. The weir stood at 14' high in 1832 and is the only surviving piece of the original mill. The last traces were lost when Rishton paper mill was extended to the South in 1904.
Henry de Rishton from the Dunkenhalgh passed away in 1428, and left a sum of money for the repair of a bridge over the Hyndburn between Rishton and Clayton Le Moors, but if the local authorities were slow in raising sufficient funds from the villagers, then his request would be turned to pious use.
The Hyndburn Brook flows through the area, fed by four streams within the Rishton District. By 1826 the miller had left his house and moved into the Petre Arms. First documented in 1785, the locals would travel down the hill to pay their rents every year. It was worth the walk as the landlord provided the locals to a free meal!!!!
On the 28th December 1922, a runaway motor wagon fell into the river, killing the driver.
The Petre Arms Inn finally closed it doors in about 1948 - 49.