Sands Close was the only other
barrage balloon site, at the end of
Commercial Street, which I think
by both airmen and W. A. A. F. 's during the second World War.
This was named because the land here was very sandy and also used by the
Dunkenhalgh brick company. The Sands were formally a brick making site
which became a housing estate in 1948, but
Livesey Streets were
Right at the very end of
Cliff street is the entrance to
Allotments. These were moved to this location in 1947,
when the Sands estate was built.
On the 2nd March 1939, A Mr. Bradley was granted permission to
erect stalls on the Sands.
Seven tenders were
received on the 15th February 1944, by the Council for
the demolition of Air raid shelters, and opened by the Chairman and
Officials. It was resolved that the tender of Messrs. Horrocks & Son for £944
10s. 0d. be accepted for submission to and approval by the Lancashire
County Council. It was decided by the Council on the 15th April 1946, that
the Wardens' Posts on the Sands Site and on the Esplanade were to be
demolished by the Contractor.
10th August 1944, The Surveyor read a Report of Trial Holes taken on the
Sands Site in 1941.
The Clerk reported an interview with Mr. G. C. Scurrah
concerning terms for the acquisition of the Sands Site. Councillors Kenyon and Leeming
with the Council Clerk, were to discuss this matter with Mr. Scurrah to seek more
On the 14th September 1944, Negotiations
were entered into with
the Dunkenhalgh Estate for the acquisition of the whole of the Sands Site,
approximating six acres.
By the 12th October 1944, The
council had excepted these terms as
follows:- A Half-penny per square yard for a 999 years' lease plus the
apportioned cost of the street works paid by the Estate when Cliff Street
was made up, upon condition that the full ground rent on the whole site of
approximately 6 acres shall not be due and payable until the whole site,
is built up or until the 25th March 1949 whichever is the earlier and that
before the 25th March 1949 the amount of ground rent shall be proportional
to the extent that the land is built up.
On the 8th January 1945, Mr. Ridgeway, Town Planning Officer, outlined his
scheme for the development of the Sands Site on two levels to avoid the
cost of excavation. Plans were prepared by the Surveyor,
in co-operation with Mr. Ridgeway, for the lay-out of the site on one
level on the lines originally submitted by the Surveyor.
Enquiries were made concerning the
inclusion of the site in the Blackburn group scheme for the preparation of
housing sites and that an estimate of the cost under this scheme be
obtained. A cost was obtained for the
levelling of the site from one of the firms now advertising this class of
The Council Clerk read a letter from the Ministry of Town &
Country Planning on the 22nd January 1945, stating that there
were no planning objections to the use
of the "Sands Site," and giving other information regarding the site.
Five months later, on the 14th June
1945, A letter was submitted from the Regional Planning
Officer of the Ministry of Town & Country Planning stating that as only 20
temporary houses have been allocated to this district, the length of sewer
to serve the site would appear to be considerable and the Council were
asked to re-consider the proposal and find an alternative site.
The Council was to give consideration to the Sands
Site for both permanent and temporary houses.
The following month, on
the 12th July 1945, the land was rented for a Circus.
Council Clerk made a charge of 30s. for the use of this site on
the 27th June.
Meanwhile, by the 9th
August 1945, A Letter
had been submitted from Messrs. Ballasts, Ltd., re
excavation of the site. It was
decided to communicate with the firm when the lay-out plan had been prepared.
On the 11th October
Consideration was given to a lay-out submitted by Messrs. Grenfell Baines
for temporary houses on the Sands Site and the Council Surveyor submitted an
alternative design in respect thereof. The Surveyor
was instructed to proceed with the preparation of a lay-out for the whole
site for permanent houses and that this be proceeded with as quickly as
The Clerk was
instructed to communicate with the Dunkenhalgh Estate regarding
alternative plots for the allotment tenants at present on the Sands Site.
13th December 1945, The Surveyor
referred to the visit of himself and the Clerk to the Regional Offices of
the Ministry of Health on the 21st November, when the lay-out was
discussed and a draft design for the houses. Since that date an estimate had
been forwarded for the removal and excavation of the high land to a mean
level. The Ministry subsequently approved the lay-out
and the Surveyor submitted plans of house design. The plans
submitted were approved for submission to the Ministry.
By the 14th February
1946, Formal approval had
been received from the Ministry of Health for the Type A Working Kitchen
House. After discussion it was resolved that 28 houses be proceeded with
in the first contract and that gas and electricity be installed in each
house. Levels were taken for
the roads and sewers, and these and the necessary plans and sections
were completed within a few
days. The main roads were to be constructed of tarred macadam and the back
streets and accommodation roads of concrete. Notices
were served on the frontagers under Section 150 of the Public Health
Act, 1875, calling upon them to carry out the necessary works to sewer,
level, pave, metal, flag, channel and make good any streets or parts of
streets, fronting, adjoining or abutting their premises where such work is
necessary within a time to be specified in the notice served upon them and
that upon failure of the frontagers to execute the works that this
authority execute the work and recover the expenses incurred in so doing
from the frontagers.
By the 14th March 1946, The Ministry
of Health had given approval to the road and sewer details and also
authorised tenders to be invited for the erection of 28 houses.
Specifications and Bills of Quantities were being prepared and tenders
were invited as soon as practicable.
On the 15th April 1946, Tenders
for road and sewer work and the closing date was 20th April 1946. Consideration of
these tenders was to be given at the Council meeting on the 25th April 1946. Advertisements
were be issued
for tenders to be sent in for the erection of 28 houses. Air Raid Shelter Demolition. Resolved - That
the Wardens' Posts on the Sands Site and on the Esplanade be demolished by
On the 25th April 1946, The Chairman opened seven tenders received for the Road
and Sewer Construction on the Housing Site and after consideration, it was Resolved - That the tender of Messrs. Drake Bros. (Haslingden)
Ltd., of Haslingden was accepted in the sum of £11,154 5s. 0d. subject to
the approval of the Ministry of Health and to the completion of the
necessary contract. It was further Resolved - That when future tenders are
considered for work to be done on behalf of the Council, the names of
firms tendering shall not be disclosed until after a tender has been
By the 13th June 1946, The Contractor had
commenced on the work of site preparation, and Tenders
were invited for the erection of 28
houses. The Clerk reported that the Ministry of Health had approved the
acceptance of the tender of Messrs. Drake Bros. (Haslingden) Ltd., to the
amended figure of £34,401 0s. 10d. for the 28 houses on the Sands Site. It
was Resolved - That application was to be made to the Ministry of Health for
consent to the borrowing of £46,870 made up as follows: -
and that on receipt of such consent,
arrangements were to be made for the borrowing of the requisite sum from the
Public Works Loan Board for the period of sanction granted by the
The Council Clerk reported that notices had been served on the
frontagers with respect to the making-up of private streets and passages
abutting on the Sands Site and that he had received a communication from the
Trustees of the Baptist Chapel asking the Council to bear the cost of making up
that portion of Danvers Street which abuts on their property, on the 13th June
1946, as the building is
used exclusively as a place of public worship. The charge of
approximately £171 was borne by the Council.
By the 5th September
commencement had been made on the construction of three pairs of houses.
Owing to difficulty in obtaining sand-faced rustic bricks, instructions
have been given to the Contractors to build the exterior above ground
floor level in common bricks, to be finished with a suitable cement
rendered or rough cast finish.
On the 10th October
plant was brought on to the site, but progress was very slow owing to
the nature of the ground. Three pairs of houses were in course of
construction and had reached damp-course level. A
month later, on the 7th November 1946, 6 houses had reached first floor
level, 2 up to first floor window height, 2 up to damp course level and 4
had the foundations for footings partly completed. Good progress had been made with
the erection of the standard lamps for street
lighting, and all the equipment had been received for
the complete scheme.
But unfortunately, by
the 12th December 1946, things were to take a turn for
the worse. this was the beginning of one of the worse
winters on record for Rishton, and was going to last
through to February the following year. Owing to this inclement weather
progress had been retarded. They had managed 8 houses up to first floor level, 2 to
sill level, and 4 houses' foundations completed. An order
was placed for fireplaces and these
were to be delivered in two consignments, the first on the 13th January and
the second on the 3rd March.
The story was much the
same by the 9th January 1947, The Advance Preparation
had suffered yet again, Owing to the weather, progress
had been retarded. 12 houses were up to first floor joist level,
houses up to sill level.
On the 16th January
1947, The Clerk submitted the sanction from the Ministry of Health
to the borrowing of £1,571 0s. 0d. in respect of the Private Street Works
for a period of 10 years.
13th February 1947, Progress
had been retarded during the past month due to the weather conditions.
Attention was drawn to the condition of the ground which had been revealed
on making test holes over the site and the Ministry of Health
were consulted in connection therewith and recommended the engagement of an
expert to give a report on the matter. It was Resolved - That the services
of Mr. Greenwood, of Blackburn, was engaged at a fee of £7 7s. 0d. per day
and that he be asked to submit his report at an early date and that a copy
thereof be forwarded to the Ministry of Health for their observations. Councillor Stairs and the Clerk reported on their interview with the
Superintendent Valuer regarding; the amount of compensation which had been
made to one of the allotment tenants. It was stated that a communication was awaited from the Valuer. Correspondence was also submitted from the
National Allotments Association regarding two other claims for
compensation and the Clerk was instructed to communicate with the
Association and with the claimants thereon.
13th March 1947, Owing to
inclement weather no work was done on the site during the month.
The Council Clerk submitted a letter on the 17th April 1947, from
the Ministry of Health regarding damage to the new property caused
by recent frost. It was Resolved— That further consideration be
given at the end of the Contract. It was reported that building work
was now progressing satisfactory.
It was reported on the 8th May 1947, that during the past month
progress was made in all directions. Quotations had been received
from the Blackburn Corporation Electricity Department tor
alternative types of lighting for this Estate. It was resolved that
the estimate of £251 0s. 0d. be accepted for the erection of
electric lamps utilising the standards removed from Blackburn Road
and for fluorescent lamps to be installed.
Foundations were submitted on the 15th May 1947. The Clerk submitted the Surveyor's estimate of the
additional cost for providing brick pillars and concrete rafts for
houses affected by the unsuitable sub-soil, and stated that the
estimate was £350 0s. 0d. per pair of houses where the maximum
foundation depth is required, less £78 0s. 0d. per pair provided in
the specification for normal foundations, leaving a net amount of
£272 0s. 0d. per pair. Resolved— That the approval of the Ministry
be sought for this work to be carried out at the estimated cost.
Better progress was made by the 10th July, 1947,
but there still remained a certain amount of anxiety with regard to
the supply of cement. The Council Surveyor
reported on the insufficient supply of timber and stated that he had
instructed the Contractor to lay solid floors for the remaining
seven pairs of houses.
The Council Surveyor
submitted four alternative house type plans for future houses on the
Sands Site on the 10th July 1947. He also reported that a
number of houses on the Sands Site were almost ready for decoration
and was instructed in the use of light pastel shades with light
woodwork to tone.
The Council Clerk was instructed to write
to the Ministry of Health on the 9th October 1947, asking for permission to formulate a scheme for the erection of houses to accommodate
miners and agricultural workers resident in the district as part of
the Sands estate. A
tender was also submitted from the Accrington District Gas and
Water Board for the supply of Gas Cookers at £19 10s. 0d.
each, and Boilers at £4 0s. 0d. each, and a further tender
from the Blackburn Electricity Undertaking with comparable prices. It was Resolved
by the Council that both tenders should be
accepted. It was further Resolve that the tenants of
the Sands Site should be allowed to choose between gas and electric cookers.
considered the list of applications previously circulated, on the
16th October 1947, and it
was Resolved That numbers 10, 35, 55, 58, 64, 73, 82, 88 90, 97,
107, 122, 125, 126, 139, 150, 151, 157, 163, 165, 167, 169, 178,
181, 187, 199 and 214 and the Surveyor be allotted the 28 houses on
the Sands Site. It was further Resolved That the list of
applications be closed pending the erection of further houses.
The newly-sown lawns were making satisfactory progress on the
12th July 1951, and the shrubberies had been turned over. It was Resolved
tenants who did not cultivate their rear gardens, be written to
drawing their attention to the terms of the tenancy agreement. The
Surveyor was authorised to erect such rear garden fences as will prevent
footpaths being formed across the shrubberies.
The Council Officials reported on a visit of representatives of
Messrs. Holland, Hannen & Cubitts, Ltd., on the 17th January
1952, regarding cases of dampness
in Wates Houses. A letter was awaited from the Contractors.
received from residents from the sands estate on the 14th August
1952, regarding weeds alleged to have been blown from the grounds
of the Modern Secondary School. The attention
of the local County Councillor and the Divisional Education
Committee be drawn to the nuisance caused by the weeds.
On the 18th September 1952, A letter was submitted from the Education Officer asking if
the Council could arrange for the regular cutting of the weeds by
members of the Highways staff. Due to labour difficulties, it was
regrettable that no assistance could be given by the Council, but
that it was hoped the Education Authorities would continue to keep the
weeds to a minimum and, if possible, lay-out the land for its
original intention, as a playing field.
The Council Clerk was requested to draw the
attention of the police to damage which is being occasioned by
children in this district, on the 19th March 1953, and that the Buildings and Highways
Sub-Committee meet at an early date to consider work required in
The Clerk was instructed to send
A letter to the tenants on the 11th June 1953, drawing
attention to the disapproval of the Council to the playing of
games on the quadrangles, particularly by adults.
The Sanitary Inspector
submitted a letter from the North Western Electricity
Board quoting a charge of 10/0d. per
annum for complete
maintenance of each cooker on the Sands Estate, on the 12th
November 1953, including the replacement of
parts required, and that the Board were prepared to send
a representative to each tenant who has an electric cooker to
instruct them on the use thereof.
Sands Estate—Hedge Cutting:
A test having been
made on a hedge-cutting appliance loaned by the County
Council, on the 12th November 1953, it was Resolved—That
consideration be given to the purchase of a similar appliance
It was also reported that there were over 30 cases of
broken and cracked windows, it was Resolved—That
the necessary repairs be carried out where considered necessary
and that the cost be re-charged to the
tenants. It was further Resolved—That
notify the tenants of all Council Houses that in future
they will be required to meet the cost of the replacement
of all broken and cracked windows.
COUNCILLORS set the
ball rolling on the possible sell-off of three rundown
council house estates in Hyndburn in 1997.
Consultation was to start immediately with around 300
tenants on The Sands estate, Rishton, Woodnook estate,
Accrington, and Within Grove estate, Huncoat, about
transferring the ownership of their homes to a new
Tenants had the final
say on the transfer because the council was obliged to
consult them in a secret ballot. The council would
still have a role to play as it was saying that the
new landlord should be a special company set up with
the council having a one-third stake on the board.
representatives also had the chance to make up a third
of the board. Housing services committee chairman
Councillor Clifford Westell said: "After long and hard
consideration the council has decided that it has no
other option but to recommend to these tenants that
stock transfer is the only way they will get the
improvements their estates need. My only priority is
the quality of life of our tenants. If there was any
other way the council could do the necessary
improvements themselves, I'm sure we would not be
making this recommendation."
Head of housing Gwyneth
Sarkar said: "Those tenants affected by the decision
can be confident from the start that the council
cannot sell their homes without them all being given a
chance to vote on the issue. The council expects the
consultation to take six to nine months and every
person affected will have a chance to properly
understand the issues involved. Indeed tenants will be
able to get involved in the sorts of improvements
planned for their estate and to be represented on the
board of the proposed new company."
The three estates were
chosen because they were in urgent need of investment.
The council was keeping its options open on whether
the same stock transfer proposal would be in the best
interests of all its other tenants.
Lancashire Evening Telegraph, Monday 16th June