Pedestrian Crossings

Website Information

What's New?

Why not try the "Interactive Map" of Rishton, move your mouse over the map and click on the hotspots to open the page.

Search This Website

SEARCH

Today in Rishton..

Current Weather

Currently Unavailable

Latest News Headlines

Currently Unavailable

For more news on Rishton use this link

Website Visitors

(See the web stats page in the utilities section of the site for previous visitors)

Since February 2009 -

free counters
Pedestrian Crossing on High Street 1945

In 1935 the Council received approval from the Lancashire County Council for Pedestrian crossings for the first time in Rishton.

These crossings were rejected by Rishton Council and new locations were chosen for them. These were;

(1) High Street. On West side of Junction of High Street (A.678) and Harwood Road (A.6064).

(2) High Street. On East side of Junction of High Street (A.678) and Harwood Road (A.6064).

(3) Harwood Road. On North side of Junction of High Street (A.678) and Harwood Road (A.6064).

The Crossings at the junction of High Street and Harwood Road.

(4) High Street. From near Commercial Street to Post Office, children to and from school and shopping centre.

(5) High Street, Near Methodist School, a reasonable distance from head of canal bridge. (see photo)

It wasn't until the 4th June 1936 that the clerk to the Council was first instructed to take the necessary steps to secure the establishment of a crossing for foot passengers in Hermitage Street, near to the junction with James Street, by the 11th June, The chief constable was prepared to support the councils application for the pedestrian crossing in Hermitage Street near the junction with James Street.

On the 1st October 1936, The Council Surveyor reported on the position to date regarding the Council's proposal to establish an additional pedestrian crossing in Hermitage Street and stated that the necessary Statutory Notice had been advertised in the Press.

The Council Surveyor read letters received from the Ministry of Transport, on the 5th November 1936, enclosing the Minister's formal approval to the Council's proposal to establish a crossing for foot passengers in Hermitage Street. The Surveyor also presented to the Committee the quotations received for the supply of beacons and studs. Resolved:-

  1. That the quotations received from Messrs. John Needham & Sons, Ltd., be accepted (for beacons).
  2. That the quotation received from Messrs. Samuel Osborn & Co., Ltd., for studs, be accepted and
  3. That the Surveyor be instructed to order the materials required and proceed with the work.

A letter was read from the Ministry of Transport on the 12th November 1936, agreeing to the Pedestrian Crossings in Hermitage Street.

On the 3rd December 1936, The Surveyor reported that he had obtained the necessary materials for the proposed Pedestrian Crossing in Hermitage Street and stated that the crossing would be constructed in the course of a few days. On the 7th January 1937, The Surveyor reported that the new Pedestrian Crossing in Hermitage Street had been completed.

Hermitage Streets newer Crossing in March 2003.

On the 4th November 1937, Reflector studs were purchased to replace the existing studs on all the pedestrian crossings in the town. These reflector studs were to be tried on the crossing in Hermitage Street, it was decided by the council on the 3rd February 1938.

A letter was received from Mr. G. A. Knowlson on the 5th May 1938, suggesting consideration should be given to the painting of pedestrian crossings. The council resolved that in view of the experiment currently taking place with regards to reflective studs no action of the nature suggested should be taken at present.

The council surveyor reported on the 5th July 1938, that the reflective studs had been fitted to the pedestrian crossing in Hermitage Street.

An application was made on the 11th November 1943, for permission to remove the Belisha Beacons at Harwood Road corner so as to reduce the number of obstructions which prove a source of danger in the black-out.

Parents
Advert from Rishton Urban Districts Council Official Guide, 1970 Edition.

The Council Clerk submitted a letter from the Ministry of Transport on the 24th May 1951, confirming the Variation Order to delete the crossing at the junction of Harwood Road and High Street.

Consideration was given to Circular No. 668 received from the Ministry of Transport on the 30th August 1951, and the Council Clerk reported on his and the Surveyor's interview with the Divisional Road Engineer at which the Ministry had stated that they were prepared only to approve two pedestrian crossings in lieu of the five at present in existence. A further letter was to be sent to the Ministry stating that this Council consider that a minimum of four crossings is essential and are prepared to proceed with these in the hope that the Ministry will give its approval and backing in the event of any legal implications.

The Clerk submitted a reply received from the Divisional Road Engineer dated 7th September 1951 to the effect that he cannot approve more than two crossings under the Variation Scheme. A Variation Order was made providing for two crossings in Rishton, one at the corner of Harwood Road on High Street and the other at the corner of Commercial Street in High Street, and that the Order be made under protest and that a subsequent application be made to the Ministry of Transport for approval to further crossings.

On the 30th September 1951, The Council Clerk drew attention to the permissibility of prohibiting the standing of vehicles within a distance of 45 feet of a pedestrian crossing, and that if the decision was taken to put this into effect, the footpaths would have to be marked accordingly. It was Resolved, That the prohibition be put into effect in connection with both crossings approved.

The Council Clerk submitted a letter from the Ministry of Transport on the 8th November 1951, stating that they are unable to agree to the provision of a further crossing in Hermitage Street.

The Council Clerk submitted a circular on the 17th July 1952, which requested the Council to install flashing lights in the beacons at the two crossings. The Surveyor was to proceed with this work before the winter months. It was further resolved that application be made to the Ministry for approval to the installation of a pedestrian crossing in Hermitage Street. By the 14th August, the Council had their answer when the Clerk reported that the Ministry of Transport had not acceded to the request of the Council for permission to install an additional crossing in Hermitage Street, and that the Ministry did not agree with the suggestion regarding coloured studs on existing crossings.

On the 13th November 1952, The Ministry of Transport Circular No. 685 was received. The Clerk submitted this circular, with which was enclosed specifications for flashing gear, and it was Resolved, That the Surveyor proceed with arrangements for installation of flashing gear to be erected at the top of the pole.

Four tenders were considered for the supply and erection and servicing of four flashing signs at the pedestrian crossings on the 12th February 1953. It was Resolved by the Council, that the quotation of the N. W. Electricity Board of £12 0s. 1d. per beacon be accepted.

On the 25th March 1954, Attention was drawn to the revised method of preventing the parking of vehicles on the approaches to crossings, and it was decided to proceed on the lines of the circular subject in one instance to advice from the Ministry of Transport.

During the 1980's the people over the bottom end of Rishton petitioned ferociously for a pedestrian crossing to be built on Hermitage Street, why was the old one ever taken away? They won there battle after many months of fighting with Hyndburn Borough Council, and later, traffic calming measures were also implemented, and the road was narrowed for the crossing.

References

Rishton Urban District Council Minutes.